You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sports commentary

7 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Just watching the cricket on the telly and it got me thinking, why do some sports have such great commentators while others are so bad?

Cricket fans have long been spoilt by brilliant commentators, golf too and even darts, where as f**tball fans have to endure Tyler and Matterface and a myriad of moronic pundits.

Who do you think are the best commentators? The worst? Great commentary moments?

Mate, great question. Not read the whole thread ...but for anyone who hasn't done this...I really recommend it.

Go to a test match with a mate (I went with @Qwikage from on here).I had never been to one in my life. It was fucking a great experience. You sit and listen to the commentary (on a headset you get in the ground)  while watching the game; drinking and chatting to your mate. Now, I know that in footy the additional commentary would be shite, but in cricket it is awesome. Your troubles melt away as you listen to the game meander slowly on.

I know this is a thread on commentary...but I'll quickly add that me and Qwik have been to 3 sporting events together. England at Lords where we beat India  - and the England captain scored a century; Liverpool V Roma in the CL semi-final (5-2) and Barcelona CL semi final (4-0).

Moral of this story? Invite me and Qwik and we'll fucking batter them! 

• Upvote 4

Couple of my favourites

Jim Henderson was the Saints Radio commentator from the 80s so had seen loads of shit before making the call for the Saints making the Superbowl

And his call on the Manning interception that sealed the win at the Superbowl

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Atticus Finch said:

Peter Jones, always remember his distinctive voice doing  the commentary on our European matches in the 70’s on radio 2. 

An absolute god, for me the '76-77 European campaign is completely defined by his voice, from Crusaders onwards.

My memory's probably playing tricks, but I'm sure he commentated on the St Etienne game. I was 9 at the time and had this shitty little radio. I actually got a row because I turned it up so much and was bouncing round my bedroom that I disturbed my Mum watching something downstairs.

12 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

Peter Jones, always remember his distinctive voice doing  the commentary on our European matches in the 70’s on radio 2. 

Bill McClaren the voice of Rugby

I used to get under the covers with my small transistor radio. I remember it had a small red light, but everything else was dark.

Peter Jones would transport me to somewhere behind the iron curtain as my heroes began to dominate Europe.