You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sports commentary

Just watching the cricket on the telly and it got me thinking, why do some sports have such great commentators while others are so bad?

Cricket fans have long been spoilt by brilliant commentators, golf too and even darts, where as f**tball fans have to endure Tyler and Matterface and a myriad of moronic pundits.

Who do you think are the best commentators? The worst? Great commentary moments?

Best commentator not just Cricket but absolute class was Richie Benaud head and shoulders above todays rubbish,  most of todays shite  could learn a lesson or two from Benaud if you've not got anything interesting to say then just stay quiet .

Honourable mention to Michael Holding and Aggers I like him on TMS 

Worst commentator is Tyler an absolute twat imo  and while we're at stick Alan ' smudger ' Smith alongside him as well .

• Upvote 3

You'll struggle to beat this the clip I've posted, one of the best sporting moments of all time (Well for rugby league fans) and the commentary is absolutely amazing which adds to the moment.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

Best commentator not just Cricket but absolute class was Richie Benaud head and shoulders above todays rubbish,  most of todays shite  could learn a lesson or two from Benaud if you've not got anything interesting to say then just stay quiet .

Honourable mention to Michael Holding and Aggers I like him on TMS 

Worst commentator is Tyler an absolute twat imo  and while we're at stick Alan ' smudger ' Smith alongside him as well .

100%

I used to love lying in the bath listening to Test Match Special, Brian Johnston and Henry Blofeld rattling on about pigeons and chocolate cakes.

These days I love listening to David Lloyd, always fun with his infectious enthusiasm and Aggers, Michael Holding and Shane Warne.

They all have insight, gravitas and they're all great communicators who love the game.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Elite said:

You'll struggle to beat this the clip I've posted, one of the best sporting moments of all time (Well for rugby league fans) and the commentary is absolutely amazing which adds to the moment.

Never seen that before. Brilliant.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Elite said:

Remember that well. What a side Saints had then. Rugby League commentary is ace. Proper wool gear and I still don't know what the fuck "the play the ball" means but never-mind. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

100%

I used to love lying in the bath listening to Test Match Special, Brian Johnston and Henry Blofeld rattling on about pigeons and chocolate cakes.

These days I love listening to David Lloyd, always fun with his infectious enthusiasm and Aggers, Michael Holding and Shane Warne.

They all have insight, gravitas and they're all great communicators who love the game.

Some great shouts in there old Blowers ' My dear old thing ' fantastic no bias whatsoever. 

I remember listening to Bumble on Sky saying what are you doing on the few days off in between tests and he pipes up I'm off to LA , oh very nice says his co-commentator have a great time Bumble pipes up not Los Angeles,  Lower Accrington .

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

He did the commentary when we put 5 past CSKA Sofia Souness got a hat-trick with some belters and his commentary was top drawer 

I'd love your mate Ken Bruce to commentate on the footy 

• Upvote 1

Sid Waddell was brilliant on the darts, he used to come out with some cracking lines.

Here's a few...

Bristow reasons . . . Bristow quickens ... Aaah, Bristow.

Jockey Wilson . . . What an athlete.

That was like throwing three pickled onions into a thimble!

He's playing out of his pie crust.

They won't just have to play outta their skin to beat Phil Taylor.They'll
have to play outta their essence!

Darts players are probably a lot fitter than most footballers in overall body strength.

There's no one quicker than these two tungsten tossers...

He's about as predictable as a Wasp on speed

Look at the man go, its like trying to stop a waterbuffalo with a pea-shooter

The atmosphere is so tense, if Elvis walked in, with a portion of chips...
you could hear the vinegar sizzle on them

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

Hahahaha me and Ken are best mates now 

You fried his head in the final round mate, I listened to it the other day again because I missed popmaster, still got it on my phone hahaha 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Elite said:

Sid Waddell was brilliant on the darts, he used to come out with some cracking lines.

Here's a few...

Darts players are probably a lot fitter than most footballers in overall body strength.

Sadly he wouldn't last very long now. I remember him commentating on a match between a player with the surname Tucker and a player from China. He called it as being a game of Nip and Tucker. 

32 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

He did the commentary when we put 5 past CSKA Sofia Souness got a hat-trick with some belters and his commentary was top drawer 

I used to love listening to him doing our games.

The old midweek specials when we were dominating europe...

All accompanied of course by this great theme and then the lead ins after they introduced the games for the night 'and there has already been a goal at Anfield' and that 1 or 2 second flutter in stomach as they played the commentary of it, hoping to hear it was us attacking and scoring.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Sadly he wouldn't last very long now. I remember him commentating on a match between a player with the surname Tucker and a player from China. He called it as being a game of Nip and Tucker. 

Haha, he wasn't malicious just daft but he'd have deffo been cancelled.

17 minutes ago, Elite said:

Haha, he wasn't malicious just daft but he'd have deffo been cancelled.

Definitely, he was a very quick witted guy and always had a joke up his sleeve. Some of the darts back then needed a joker to make sense of it all. 

Blowers was incredibly easy to listen to alongside Aggers. Michael Vaughan comes across as a bit of a tit at times.

As already mentioned though, Richie Benaud was the best of the best.

Darts wise, I could never stick Sid Waddell as he would just tongue Taylor's arse all the way through a match and John Gwynne was like the David Brent of darts commentators, trying to emulate Waddell. While Wayne Mardle can come across as a buffoon, his insight into a game is worth listening to.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Preston Red said:

Blowers was incredibly easy to listen to alongside Aggers. Michael Vaughan comes across as a bit of a tit at times.

As already mentioned though, Richie Benaud was the best of the best.

Darts wise, I could never stick Sid Waddell as he would just tongue Taylor's arse all the way through a match and John Gwynne was like the David Brent of darts commentators, trying to emulate Waddell. While Wayne Mardle can come across as a buffoon, his insight into a game is worth listening to.

Taylor was unreal though for years, I didn't think Waddell was brown-nosing him, more in awe of his greatness.

And I hate the fat cunt but he was phenomenal in his pomp.

1 hour ago, Tj hooker said:

Some great shouts in there old Blowers ' My dear old thing ' fantastic no bias whatsoever. 

I remember listening to Bumble on Sky saying what are you doing on the few days off in between tests and he pipes up I'm off to LA , oh very nice says his co-commentator have a great time Bumble pipes up not Los Angeles,  Lower Accrington .

Hahaha

1 hour ago, Elite said:

Here's a few...

The total eclipse of the dart line (when Stephen Fry was in the commentary box) was brilliant.