You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Worst "top" player ever?

Baltar

23 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Gazza, never saw the genius that everyone else claimed to see, just seems like a massive dickhead.

I think he was the most talented English born player of his generation. Could and probably should have been the best player in the world but for injuries and his other demons. 

Granted it was only Bradford City v Newcastle in a League Cup tie but I’ve never seen one player so head and shoulders above everyone else in a professional game. He put on quite the show that night, never to be forgotten. 

Opinions...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, YorkshireRed said:

I think he was the most talented English born player of his generation. Could and probably should have been the best player in the world but for injuries and his other demons. 

Granted it was only Bradford City v Newcastle in a League Cup tie but I’ve never seen one player so head and shoulders above everyone else in a professional game. He put on quite the show that night, never to be forgotten. 

Opinions...

Gazza was unreal. Glad he didn’t but if he went to United instead of Spurs he’d be held up as one of the greats I reckon. 

• Upvote 1

Opinions...

Gazza was a superb player. Mad as a box of frogs and as thick as pig shit, but what he could do on the pitch you can't teach.

You've either got 'it' or you haven't and he had it.

A rare talent who could have been so much more of it hadn't been for the hangers on.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Gazza was unreal. Glad he didn’t but if he went to United instead of Spurs he’d be held up as one of the greats I reckon. 

I agree with this. He needed a stronger manager and Ferguson would have sorted him out I think.

14 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Roberto Carlos. Dined off a one-in-a million free kick in a friendly for years. Marcelo another Brazilian left back fraud. 

Never scored a decent goal after that.

• Upvote 2

On 04/06/2021 at 23:24, dockers_strike said:

Is right. Didnt like Best back in the day but have to admit, he was fucking awesome especially when he just stepped over chopper harris' knee high scythe!

George Best was awesome when he could be arsed, but he stopped being arsed before he reached what should have been his peak.  That's not something you can say about real top players. 

1 hour ago, Harry's Lad said:

I agree with this. He needed a stronger manager and Ferguson would have sorted him out I think.

I've heard Ferguson say this a few times. I think its crap to be honest and massively overestimates Ferguson's powers. Hd tried to buy him when he went to Spurs in 1988. Around this time Ferguson couldn't control Whiteside, Moran or Robson, who all seemed fairly grounded lads but he would have sorted Paul Gascoigne? 8 years later when he had a lot more gravitas and experience, he couldn't get Lee Sharpe to be a professional or rehab properly from his knee injury.

Gazza wasn't just a bit of a tearaway, he was/is unwell. Paul McGrath is the nearest personality to Gascoigne that Ferguson managed and in 1989, he tried to force him to retire so that he could not only get him out the door, but so that he would also be unavailable to other clubs. 

I call utter bullshit

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

George Best was awesome when he could be arsed, but he stopped being arsed before he reached what should have been his peak.  That's not something you can say about real top players. 

When did Best’s problems with alcoholism begin? He still played the best part of 500 games for Manchester United.

21 minutes ago, Razoray said:

I've heard Ferguson say this a few times. I think its crap to be honest and massively overestimates Ferguson's powers. Hd tried to buy him when he went to Spurs in 1988. Around this time Ferguson couldn't control Whiteside, Moran or Robson, who all seemed fairly grounded lads but he would have sorted Paul Gascoigne? 8 years later when he had a lot more gravitas and experience, he couldn't get Lee Sharpe to be a professional or rehab properly from his knee injury.

Gazza wasn't just a bit of a tearaway, he was/is unwell. Paul McGrath is the nearest personality to Gascoigne that Ferguson managed and in 1989, he tried to force him to retire so that he could not only get him out the door, but so that he would also be unavailable to other clubs. 

I call utter bullshit

I still maintain that Gascoigne needed a strong manager, but I take your points about the United players you mention. 

To me, Gascoigne was different personality wise to those players, but rightly or wrongly we all have our own opinions.

I think the likes of that Five Bellies mate of his have got a lot to answer for. 

Without them, he might have fulfilled the massive potential he had and his life might not have been the car crash it is.

Tragic really.

10 minutes ago, m0e said:

I sense a lot of anger, contempt and disdain.

About mostly former, non-LFC, football players.

I find it quite amusing.

I was trying to think of Liverpool players to include. I think the definition of ‘top player’ might need to be stretched but Emile Heskey was about as good as I could come up with. He did get 62 caps for England. 

10 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

I was trying to think of Liverpool players to include. I think the definition of ‘top player’ might need to be stretched but Emile Heskey was about as good as I could come up with. He did get 62 caps for England. 

Heskey had a massive impact during the treble season.

I'd put Diouf in there, though.

7 minutes ago, m0e said:

Heskey had a massive impact during the treble season.

I'd put Diouf in there, though.

Yes, he was still mostly not good enough for a top team though. His finishing, especially, was often atrocious. He did have qualities but he used to get on my nerves. 

Diouf was/is just a complete bellend. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Jamie Redknapp, Fernando Morientes.

• Downvote 1

Kewell was a top player in his Leeds days.

Just now, Pidge said:

Kewell was a top player in his Leeds days.

He certainly was. I don’t think he was completely shit for Liverpool (maybe quite shit) but he certainly never reached the heights he did in that Leeds team. Looked a world beater in the making for them. 

2 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

One of the most underrated players in modern times IMO. 

He had qualities and I’m maybe being harsh but it was just the number of times he fluffed chances, particularly in the big games, that did it for me.

I vaguely remember a game against United at Anfield where he missed one and declaring myself ‘done with him’.

The number of times he kept Robbie Fowler out of the team probably didn’t help my opinion of him either. We all have our favourites. 

22 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

I vaguely remember a game against United at Anfield where he missed one and declaring myself ‘done with him’.

I think it was at the Kop End, it was either 2-2, or maybe we were losing 1-2, but he was through, on the volley, did a complete air shot. 

It was disappointing.

• Upvote 1