You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Worst "top" player ever?

Baltar

Stan Collymore. Had a few half decent seasons playing for Forest and us but was lauded as the English equivalent to Ronaldo. Was made out to be some generational talent that needed the right environment to flourish. 

After he left us he just nosedived playing for about 6 different clubs and never doing anything. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Gazza, never saw the genius that everyone else claimed to see, just seems like a massive dickhead.

Yep, just seems like some dickhead down the pub who is still clowning around in his 50s. 

Had the odd flash of brilliance but was too thick and childish to do anything with it. Loads of people let him get away with murder because it was just him being "Gazza". As soon as Hoddle told him he wasnt going to the World Cup he smashed the place up as he wasn't being indulged anymore. 

Loads of people have tried to help him and spend thousands on him for expensive rehab and he's just carried on being a monumental bell end. Now he looks like the thing on the bike in SAW. 

20 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

It fucks me off that Best is a more revered player than Dalglish by supporters of every other club than us.

I see Best in that advert on Sky for the Man Utd show they've done. Are they going to focus on the fact he got sacked about 3 times by Man Utd or gloss over that?

2 leagues and 1 European Cup in a 4 year period. 

Looking at Dalglish just for us...

6 leagues, 1 FA Cup, 4 League Cups & 3 European Cups.

Dalglish also went closer to winning the Balon d'Or (2nd v 3rd).

I'm not saying Best wasn't a great player I'm sure he was. And I suppose, like Dalglish (and Messi), in a great team, he was still miles better than his team mates. 

I just can't stand the narrative about a guy, who had obvious demons and was a bit of a shitty human being (sorry if that sounds harsh), is more romanticised about than somebody who achieved significantly more in the game and is a role model to a city & community.

George Best is my dad’s favourite non-Liverpool player.

George Best’s view on Kenny Dalglish. 

• Upvote 4

42 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

My Dad used to say that Duncan Edwards was one of the best players he had ever seen.

My grandad was a Newcastle supporter and reckoned he was the best player he ever saw.

Played against Newcastle and completely ran the game apparently. 

7 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

It fucks me off that Best is a more revered player than Dalglish by supporters of every other club than us.

I see Best in that advert on Sky for the Man Utd show they've done. Are they going to focus on the fact he got sacked about 3 times by Man Utd or gloss over that?

I'm not saying Best wasn't a great player I'm sure he was. And I suppose, like Dalglish (and Messi), in a great team, he was still miles better than his team mates. 

I just can't stand the narrative about a guy, who had obvious demons and was a bit of a shitty human being (sorry if that sounds harsh), is more romanticised about than somebody who achieved significantly more in the game and is a role model to a city & community.

Kenny is a proper footballing hero. There aren't enough superlatives to describe him as a footballer, manager or a human being.

He is everything that everybody should aspire to be and I adore the man.

George Best was a completely different type of player to Kenny, and had the demons and traits you describe, but he really was a fantastic footballer in his prime.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jockey said:

I never got Veron - just always seemed to be on the periphery of games. And Riquelme - same. Lots of those types of hipster players down the years - you read article after article in them and yet you never see anything tangible! 

You don't see those players much nowadays as the physical side of the game is so important.

One game I vividly recall is the Copa America final between Argentina and Brazil in 2007. Argentina (and Riquelme) had actually been brilliant in the tournament up to then. Messi was making a real name for himself as an up-and-coming superstar. Brazil just made the game physical, scored early and then simply played on the counter, happy to concede free kicks because they were aerially dominant. Riquelme took every single free kick, and every single free kick was headed away easily. Argentina were looking to play through him at every opportunity, and the Brazilians just let him have the ball in areas where he couldn't do anything with it.

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

Bizzarre comments and I dont know any Liverpool fan who 'reverers' Best more than Dalglish and I couldnt give a fuck what others think of our players. Football fans are tribal, so what?

Best's off field problems were he couldnt say'no' to the hangers on. But Im not really interested in that. What I remember was a player I didnt like because of who he played for but skipping over and around tackles that were clearly intended to take him out at the knee.

I'll be honest and say despite the absolutely insane tackles he had to avoid and sometimes couldnt, I never saw him play acting to get someone sent off or other histrionics.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chairman Meow said:

My grandad was a Newcastle supporter and reckoned he was the best player he ever saw.

Played against Newcastle and completely ran the game apparently. 

Not sure how old your Grandad was but my Dad was a Newcastle fan and said the same. I wonder if it was the same game. Obviously pre 1958. 

I'm not saying edwards wasnt a brilliant player. I mentioned him in this thread purely on how people view players.

I've got to add I hold no value to people's Da's opinions, my dad was a fan of Steven seagal. Dad's are dickheads too. Although my dad was 7th Dan in jujitsu so i never got to tell him how much bullshit he spoke.

24 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I'm not saying edwards wasnt a brilliant player. I mentioned him in this thread purely on how people view players.

I've got to add I hold no value to people's Da's opinions, my dad was a fan of Steven seagal. Dad's are dickheads too. Although my dad was 7th Dan in jujitsu so i never got to tell him how much bullshit he spoke.

You mean you were shit scared .... I answered back to my dad once when I was home on leave from the navy thinking I was "hard" and before I finished my wannabe witty reply I was on my back with a pub full of fellas pissing themselves. 

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

You mean you were shit scared .... I answered back to my dad once when I was home on leave from the navy thinking I was "hard" and before I finished my wannabe witty reply I was on my back with a pub full of fellas pissing themselves. 

I weren't scared of him he never would of been violent for real but just messing around it was clear I was well out my depth even when he was in his 60s.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Having never seen Edwards play bar a small amount of footage I couldn't comment personally on how good he was.

That's best left to those who actually did see him play and my arl fella did. 

He loved and knew his football my arl fella, I could confidently take his word for it.

27 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Any man that gives his own son a full on punch in the face for a perceived slight is a proper cunt.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

Having never seen Edwards play bar a small amount of footage I couldn't comment personally on how .ood he was.

That's best left to those who actually did see him play and my arl fella did. 

He loved and knew his football my arl fella, I could confidently take his word for it.

Yeah I was just being glib because I'm usually around mancs I hear how Gerrard was shit and overrated and I think you're  clear bias highlights all your bias. Duncan Edwards top player! probably.. the greatest ever I doubt it like I said and again it's an absolute tragedy we never got to witness the man reach is potential.

3 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Yeah I was just being glib because I'm usually around mancs I hear how Gerrard was shit and overrated and I think you're  clear bias highlights all youre bias. Duncan Edwards top player! probably.. the greatest ever I doubt it like I said and again it's an absolute tragedy we never got to witness the man reach is potential.

Around Mancs?, Ha, my sister married one. Sound lad though, he wore a Liverpool shirt at my Dads funeral.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Is right. Didnt like Best back in the day but have to admit, he was fucking awesome especially when he just stepped over chopper harris' knee high scythe!

Jonathon Pearce bigging up a documentary for Best said he was the best British player by some margin. Nonsense.

7 hours ago, Razoray said:

Scholes was behind Butt in the pecking order at Utd until Keane did his cruciate in 97/98. He was 23 years old. Even in their treble year Butt played as much as Scholes. At almost 25, Nicky Butt was deemed by Ferguson to be as good as Scholes, Nicky Butt.

In 2001 Veron was bought to add something different to United's midfield and Scholes was moved to the left. He was 27. 

From the age of 31 (in 2006) to his 2nd retirement in 2013, he averaged 22 league games and 2.5 goals a season. 

Therefore, it must have been between 2001 and 2006, when Scholes won his CM position back that he was one of the best players in the world. During this 6 years, United won one league and one cup, Scholes scored more than 10 goals in a season once and they won nothing in Europe, reaching the semi-final once, in 2002. 

He was a good player but was on the PFA POTY team twice and during his period of donation of the English game, he was pipped for the award by:

Stone, Lee, Batty, Butt, Petit, Dyer, Wright-Phillips, Cole, Valencia, Milner, Fletcher, Nasri, Wilshere, Parker, Fabregas, Young.

Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham, Giggs, Keane, Vieira, Pires, Ronaldo were all picked more times than him during this period. 

A myth. 

In all fairness to Scholes and United in general during that time,it was more about how players fitted into the team rather than their roles as stand out players. Jurgen has done a brilliant job making our current team very similar. I'd rather have had United's record during that time than ours due to their all round strength as opposed to us relying on one or two stellar players bailing us out regularly.

3 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

In all fairness to Scholes and United in general during that time,it was more about how players fitted into the team rather than their roles as stand out players. Jurgen has done a brilliant job making our current team very similar. I'd rather have had United's record during that time than ours due to their all round strength as opposed to us relying on one or two stellar players bailing us out regularly.

Definitely. They had good players all over the place. Scholes was one of those but in my opinion he was the 4th best midfielder of that era for Man United

48 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

Any man that gives his own son a full on punch in the face for a perceived slight is a proper cunt.

Wind your neck in, My dads one of the finest human beings on the planet, it was hardly a full on battering he just jabbed me on my chin and put me on my arse. And rightly so, I was acting the cunt. Toughen up you fucking petis filous.