You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Worst "top" player ever?

Baltar

There are players who are inexplicably considered top players. Aubameyang and Willian come to mind. The former has probably never scored an important goal in his life. Willian was that guy everyone rated because he was a Brazilian winger playing for a team that won some trophies. Remember when people wanted us to sign him last summer? Yeah, that would have worked great. He had maybe 5 shots on target this season total. 

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

There are players who are inexplicably considered top players. Aubameyang and Willian come to mind. The former has probably never scored an important goal in his life. Willian was that guy everyone rated because he was a Brazilian winger playing for a team that won some trophies. Remember when people wanted us to sign him last summer? Yeah, that would have worked great. He had maybe 5 shots on target this season total. 

Willian was a very good footballer. He’s over the hill now but at his best he was awesome.

Edgar Davids always comes to mind for me on this sort of topic. He was just a clogger who spent his career kicking people but managed to get his face everywhere as he wore a funky pair of glasses. 

I agree on Willian being over-rated too. A very inconsistent player who's averaged 5 Premier League goals a season playing as an attacking player for a top club for most of his career.

Ibrahimovich is definitely one I'd say is overrated. I've never watched him play and say, "wow" 

Frank ribery is another. Seemed to lack pace, didn't have a great shot and not overly tricky either if im honest. 

I saw scholes mentioned above as well. Here's a funny fact about Paul scholes. He was never voted into the PFA team of the year and also never won the Utd fans player of the year either. 

Yet mancs would try and put him in the same bracket is Gerrard or lampard, fuck off..... Little ginger cunt couldn't tackle

29 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

Scholes was a great player for a lot of years, but there are levels to this.

Gerrard was an absolute superman; box to box gunslinger, quarterback playmaker, #10 with Torres, 23 goals playing right mid - even recounting his exploits, they seem barely believable.

Scholes was behind Butt in the pecking order at Utd until Keane did his cruciate in 97/98. He was 23 years old. Even in their treble year Butt played as much as Scholes. At almost 25, Nicky Butt was deemed by Ferguson to be as good as Scholes, Nicky Butt.

In 2001 Veron was bought to add something different to United's midfield and Scholes was moved to the left. He was 27. 

From the age of 31 (in 2006) to his 2nd retirement in 2013, he averaged 22 league games and 2.5 goals a season. 

Therefore, it must have been between 2001 and 2006, when Scholes won his CM position back that he was one of the best players in the world. During this 6 years, United won one league and one cup, Scholes scored more than 10 goals in a season once and they won nothing in Europe, reaching the semi-final once, in 2002. 

He was a good player but was on the PFA POTY team twice and during his period of donation of the English game, he was pipped for the award by:

Stone, Lee, Batty, Butt, Petit, Dyer, Wright-Phillips, Cole, Valencia, Milner, Fletcher, Nasri, Wilshere, Parker, Fabregas, Young.

Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham, Giggs, Keane, Vieira, Pires, Ronaldo were all picked more times than him during this period. 

A myth. 

• Upvote 5

13 minutes ago, Razoray said:

Scholes was behind Butt in the pecking order at Utd until Keane did his cruciate in 97/98. He was 23 years old. Even in their treble year Butt played as much as Scholes. At almost 25, Nicky Butt was deemed by Ferguson to be as good as Scholes, Nicky Butt.

In 2001 Veron was bought to add something different to United's midfield and Scholes was moved to the left. He was 27. 

From the age of 31 (in 2006) to his 2nd retirement in 2013, he averaged 22 league games and 2.5 goals a season. 

Therefore, it must have been between 2001 and 2006, when Scholes won his CM position back that he was one of the best players in the world. During this 6 years, United won one league and one cup, Scholes scored more than 10 goals in a season once and they won nothing in Europe, reaching the semi-final once, in 2002. 

He was a good player but was on the PFA POTY team twice and during his period of donation of the English game, he was pipped for the award by:

Stone, Lee, Batty, Butt, Petit, Dyer, Wright-Phillips, Cole, Valencia, Milner, Fletcher, Nasri, Wilshere, Parker, Fabregas, Young.

Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham, Giggs, Keane, Vieira, Pires, Ronaldo were all picked more times than him during this period. 

A myth. 

Just had a flashback to my 2, 4 and 5th divorce proceedings.

• Upvote 1

Yeah Balotelli was shit in probably 95% of the games he played. Yet there were some people in football who talked about him like he was this incredible talent that just needed harnessing. He was just shite.

But the answer to the initial question is Paul Pogba and I'll die fighting you all on that hill if need be.

• Upvote 3

I never got Veron - just always seemed to be on the periphery of games. And Riquelme - same. Lots of those types of hipster players down the years - you read article after article in them and yet you never see anything tangible! 

You don't see those players much nowadays as the physical side of the game is so important.

4 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Pogba comes to mind. Nowhere near the worst but it always pisses me off Scholes and Lampard are put in as comparisons to Gerrard, Gerrard was miles above those pair, absolute miles. Throw either of those into the liverpool sides Gerrard was in instead of Gerrard and they nor liverpool win fuck all or even come close.

I drink with a lot of mancs and I'm not putting this player as the worst top player or anywhere even close to being such but the thread just reminded of them the way we rate players and how they talk of Duncan Edwards those old enough said he would of been the greatest player to of ever played the game and all I could think was I bet he wouldn't of been but his absolute tragic death elevates him like death always does to the young and gifted. By all accounts he was a tremendous player its one of life's shit injustices when we never get to see talent bloom, like Buddy Holly's plane crash or the 27 club it feels like something more than life was stolen.

My Dad used to say that Duncan Edwards was one of the best players he had ever seen.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

Eh? He was a fantastic player, absolutely unreal.

It fucks me off that Best is a more revered player than Dalglish by supporters of every other club than us.

I see Best in that advert on Sky for the Man Utd show they've done. Are they going to focus on the fact he got sacked about 3 times by Man Utd or gloss over that?

2 leagues and 1 European Cup in a 4 year period. 

Looking at Dalglish just for us...

6 leagues, 1 FA Cup, 4 League Cups & 3 European Cups.

Dalglish also went closer to winning the Balon d'Or (2nd v 3rd).

I'm not saying Best wasn't a great player I'm sure he was. And I suppose, like Dalglish (and Messi), in a great team, he was still miles better than his team mates. 

I just can't stand the narrative about a guy, who had obvious demons and was a bit of a shitty human being (sorry if that sounds harsh), is more romanticised about than somebody who achieved significantly more in the game and is a role model to a city & community.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Riquelme was never really considered a top player was he? Had one little stint at Barca then never got back to the top level. He was the most important player for a Villareal side who got to the CL semis one year. That was his level.

His career nose dived after his transfer to The Ev collapsed for the twelvtyth time.

10 hours ago, Trumo said:

Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Bags of ability which has been showcased numerous times, but always as a flat track bully and never in big games that really count. He's had well over £100m spent on transfers, and his agent Raiola has made a fair whack too.

People seem to believe he's a great player because of the persona he's created for himself, like some wrestler always talking about himself in the third person.