You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Worst "top" player ever?

Baltar

12 minutes ago, Baltar said:

My vote currently goes to Alvaro Morata. I can't get my head around all the big money transfers he's had to big clubs. He is absolute dog shit and nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

Totally agree although he's supposedly enjoying a golden spell whever he is now, isnt he? Absolutely amazing the transfer fees he's commanded.

Carlos Valderama

Considering he has been voted in the 100 greatest players on the 20th century etc

His record is pretty shite, hardly stayed at a club more than 2 years, slummed in shite leagues and never really performed consistently at the highest level

If he has shit hair nobody would remember him

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Baltar said:

My vote currently goes to Alvaro Morata. I can't get my head around all the big money transfers he's had to big clubs. He is absolute dog shit and nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

Is right.

Alvaro Morata, Juventus - £170.1 million, six transfers

Closely followed by:

Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Roma - £101.52 million, six transfers

And then:

Paulinho, Guangzhou Evergrande - £114.71 million, seven transfers

2 minutes ago, m0e said:

Is right.

Alvaro Morata, Juventus - £170.1 million, six transfers

Closely followed by:

Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Roma - £101.52 million, six transfers

And then:

Paulinho, Guangzhou Evergrande - £114.71 million, seven transfers

Andy Carroll £53ml

James Rodriguez 126ml

Romelu Lukaku 191ml

Angel di Maria 161ml

Ousmane Dembele 130ml

Gonzalo Higuain 143ml

8 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Carlos Valderama

Considering he has been voted in the 100 greatest players on the 20th century etc

His record is pretty shite, hardly stayed at a club more than 2 years, slummed in shite leagues and never really performed consistently at the highest level

If he has shit hair nobody would remember him

Untrue - legend. El Pibe played in my Sunday league here. His brother still does. Difficult to comprehend the pressures on that generation of Colombian players. 

Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Bags of ability which has been showcased numerous times, but always as a flat track bully and never in big games that really count. He's had well over £100m spent on transfers, and his agent Raiola has made a fair whack too.

Gheorghe Hagi. 

Technically brilliant, but he had to have a team built around him or it simply didn’t happen for him. And when he did have teams built around him, it turned out those teams weren’t very good. 
Which added up to:

Great in the Communist Romanian league (but who cares?);

Fell flat for Real Madrid;

Spent his peak years getting relegated with Brescia and then winning the Anglo-Italian Cup for them against Notts County;

Fell flat with Barcelona;

Very good for Galatasaray, in another league nobody cares about and where he could be a big fish in a small pond. Basically the Romanian equivalent of Brian Laudrup at Rangers. 

13 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Pippo Inzaghi and the lost art of the goal poacher

Also Guti, totally overrated.

Can't be having that one really

Inzaghi was bang average at most things but well over 200 goals in Serie A,40 in European football and not far off 1on 2 at international level for a guy that was often came off the bench later on in his career his record is outstanding. Only 5 players have scored more european goals than him as things stand. 

Pogba comes to mind. Nowhere near the worst but it always pisses me off Scholes and Lampard are put in as comparisons to Gerrard, Gerrard was miles above those pair, absolute miles. Throw either of those into the liverpool sides Gerrard was in instead of Gerrard and they nor liverpool win fuck all or even come close.

I drink with a lot of mancs and I'm not putting this player as the worst top player or anywhere even close to being such but the thread just reminded of them the way we rate players and how they talk of Duncan Edwards those old enough said he would of been the greatest player to of ever played the game and all I could think was I bet he wouldn't of been but his absolute tragic death elevates him like death always does to the young and gifted. By all accounts he was a tremendous player its one of life's shit injustices when we never get to see talent bloom, like Buddy Holly's plane crash or the 27 club it feels like something more than life was stolen.

David Luiz. Just awful at defending, which is a shame what with him being a defender and that.

It beggars belief how he's managed to con several clubs into paying a combined sum of almost 120 million quid for his services over the course of his career.

High point of said career? Being the lynchpin of Brazil's defence when they were on the wrong end of a 7-1 bumming from Germany. In the World Cup. In Brazil. Legend.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Pogba comes to mind. Nowhere near the worst but it always pisses me off Scholes and Lampard are put in as comparisons to Gerrard, Gerrard was miles above those pair, absolute miles. Throw either of those into the liverpool sides Gerrard was in instead of Gerrard and they nor liverpool win fuck all or even come close.

I drink with a lot of mancs and I'm not putting this player as the worst top player or anywhere even close to being such but the thread just reminded of them the way we rate players and how they talk of Duncan Edwards those old enough said he would of been the greatest player to of ever played the game and all I could think was I bet he wouldn't of been but his absolute tragic death elevates him like death always does to the young and gifted. By all accounts he was a tremendous player its one of life's shit injustices when we never get to see talent bloom, like Buddy Holly's plane crash or the 27 club it feels like something more than life was stolen.

Scholes was a great player for a lot of years, but there are levels to this.

Gerrard was an absolute superman; box to box gunslinger, quarterback playmaker, #10 with Torres, 23 goals playing right mid - even recounting his exploits, they seem barely believable.