You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

80's Movie - SHOOT OUT - Empire Strikes Back vs Raiders of the Lost Ark

Bjornebye

5 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Hell hath no fury like a virgin scorned. 

Yeah unless this turns around quickly this place could well be like a riot at comic-con later 

Both great films to be fair. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah unless this turns around quickly this place could well be like a riot at comic-con later 

Both great films to be fair.

People keep saying that Empire is a great film but sorry, this "greatness" completely passes me by. Honestly.

What's so great about it?

The acting is terrible, the storyline tired and corny, the reveal could be seen coming from miles away.

If being the best of a very bad bunch makes something great then I don't know what to say.

9 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

People keep saying that Empire is a great film but sorry, this "greatness" completely passes me by. Honestly.

What's so great about it?

The acting is terrible, the storyline tired and corny, the reveal could be seen coming from miles away.

If being the best of a very bad bunch makes something great then I don't know what to say.

Its great for what it is, from what I've seen its widely regarded as the best film in one of the most popular franchises of all time. Its not in my favourite 50 films of all time but I still don't mind acknowledging its popularity. 

I don't understand how it gets rated as the best Star Wars film. Great set pieces (Hoth is an all-timer), but with a fairly limp 2nd act and completely reliant on the other films to give the story any definition at all.

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Its great for what it is, from what I've seen its widely regarded as the best film in one of the most popular franchises of all time. Its not in my favourite 50 films of all time but I still don't mind acknowledging its popularity. 

It's definitely wildly popular but that's no measure of greatness. Again, I fail to see anything which makes for greatness.

I hate the word "franchise" when used in the context of film too. Films should stand or fall purely upon their artistic merits, not on how much they can fleece the public from neverending merchandise.

In that context then hands up, Star Wars is an absolute phenom.

2 minutes ago, Pidge said:

I don't understand how it gets rated as the best Star Wars film. Great set pieces (Hoth is an all-timer), but with a fairly limp 2nd act and completely reliant on the other films to give the story any definition at all.

Iconic scene after iconic scene, iconic character after iconic character, and the most famous twist in movie history.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

It's definitely wildly popular but that's no measure of greatness. Again, I fail to see anything which makes for greatness.

I hate the word "franchise" when used in the context of film too. Films should stand or fall purely upon their artistic merits, not on how much they can fleece the public from neverending merchandise.

In that context then hands up, Star Wars is an absolute phenom.

Did you get bummed by a jedi in a past life mate?