You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest 90s Film - Nominations

Bjornebye

4 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Where is Wild At Heart?

Bobby Peru will fuck up your shit Stig.

Only you voted for it ..... Even Bobby Peru would be able to list 10 movies instead of being an awkward bastard though 

15 minutes ago, Mook said:

More people need to watch The Funeral, I would have it as one of the best films of the 90s.

Walken and Chris Penn with Oscar worthy performances.

I think you nominated King of New York, is that the one with Christopher Walken? I don't think I've seen it but its free to watch on Amazon so might give it a go? 

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I think you nominated King of New York, is that the one with Christopher Walken? I don't think I've seen it but its free to watch on Amazon so might give it a go? 

Aye, I love that film. Another good one that didn't make the cut.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

Surprised Swingers made it, I though I would be the only one. I forgot to nominate Beautiful Girls, but it wouldn't have made the cut anyway. Shakespeare in Love, The English Patient, Sense and Sensibility missing out not really surprising.

Swingers is great, I'd have picked it myself if it wasn't already going to make it.

The English Patient is a terrific film and was on my longlist, but I figured nobody else would nominate it. I was already nominating quite a few that I was on my own with. The lack of love for Dark City and Strange Days, in particular, is a great pity. Also would like to register my love here for Mystery Men, another I didn't bother nominating, because again I would have been in a minority of one.

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Swingers is great, I'd have picked it myself if it wasn't already going to make it.

The English Patient is a terrific film and was on my longlist, but I figured nobody else would nominate it. I was already nominating quite a few that I was on my own with. The lack of love for Dark City and Strange Days, in particular, is a great pity. Also would like to register my love here for Mystery Men, another I didn't bother nominating, because again I would have been in a minority of one.

I never saw Mystery Men, Dark City I remember liking, but Strange Days not so much, I saw it again recently and it struck me as pretty silly. The English Patient was chiefly popular with the ladies, also, I remember it as somewhat overrated, with all the awards, would have to watch it again. 

One other glaring omission, from the mostly ladies' favourites category, has to be Titanic.  

13 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Gilliam's been done an injustice. No Fisher King, no 12 Monkeys, no Fear and Loathing

Also surprised I was the only Aladdin shout. 

And no Leaving Las Vegas. On the plus side, no Con Air or The Rock either. Or Zandalee.

• Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Negged. I nominated Leaving Las Vegas, it’s boss. I rewatched Con Air when it was on telly the other week. Enjoyable nonsense.

I am not against Leaving Las Vegas, I am voicing surprise it has not made the list. If you negged me over Con Air, that's OK.

5 hours ago, SasaS said:

That's some list.

First impressions on films that didn't make it, despite all the love for Clint, and 90s arguably being his best decade as a director, only Unforgiven makes the list, there is no Abel Ferrara ( I think only The Funeral was mentioned in nominations, Bad Lieutenant completely shunned), no John Dahl who had a cult status in the 90s (The Last Seduction, Red Rock West, Rounders). James Gray's Little Odessa was also somewhat of a cult film, as was State of Grace.  

None of at the time highly acclaimed dramas were even considered (Happiness, The Ice Storm, American Beauty). Slightly surprised Guy Ritchie is in, but Mike Newell isn't, not even with Donnie Brasco (major surprise for me is that Four Weddings does not seem rated at all).

Surprised Swingers made it, I though I would be the only one. I forgot to nominate Beautiful Girls, but it wouldn't have made the cut anyway. Shakespeare in Love, The English Patient, Sense and Sensibility missing out not really surprising.

The Ice Storm is a superb film. Great acting especially.

5 hours ago, SasaS said:

That's some list.

First impressions on films that didn't make it, despite all the love for Clint, and 90s arguably being his best decade as a director, only Unforgiven makes the list, there is no Abel Ferrara ( I think only The Funeral was mentioned in nominations, Bad Lieutenant completely shunned), no John Dahl who had a cult status in the 90s (The Last Seduction, Red Rock West, Rounders). James Gray's Little Odessa was also somewhat of a cult film, as was State of Grace.  

None of at the time highly acclaimed dramas were even considered (Happiness, The Ice Storm, American Beauty). Slightly surprised Guy Ritchie is in, but Mike Newell isn't, not even with Donnie Brasco (major surprise for me is that Four Weddings does not seem rated at all).

Red Rock West is a great little film noir. I considered putting that in. Nicholas Cage used to be in some fucking boss films then. Wild at Heart is another one that should’ve made the cut but alas I just presumed others would’ve voted it in!

• Upvote 1