You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest 90s Film - Nominations

Bjornebye

7 hours ago, Elite said:

The 2000's is on par with the 90's, looking forward to that tournament as well.

Not even close IMO. Some great films but the 90s just threw up classic after classic, as someone said 1994 itself is probably better than any decade 

6 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I remember really liking La Haine, it being a black and white French filming meaning "the hate" but nothing else. Clearly due another watch

I watched it a couple of months ago. A couple of things stood out imo; it's an incredibly loud and harsh shouty film and the acting was piss poor.

If Angry can do it so can I, there are too many so I had to make it a bit tactical, because some great films deserve to be in it and are in danger of missing out and some are personal favourites.

Black Robe

Romper Stomper

Land and Freedom

Four Weddings and a Funeral

Naked
The Remains of the Day

Swingers

Glengarry Glen Ross

Dances With Wolves

Office Space

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

If Angry can do it so can I, there are too many so I had to make it a bit tactical, because some great films deserve to be in it and are in danger of missing out and some are personal favourites.

Black Robe

Romper Stomper

Land and Freedom

Naked
The Remains of the Day

Swingers

Glengarry Glen Ross

Dances With Wolves

Office Space

You forgot Fried Green Tomatoes At The Whistle Stop Cafe.

Mind, so did everyone else. 

30 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Black Robe

Romper Stomper

Land and Freedom

Naked
The Remains of the Day

Swingers

Glengarry Glen Ross

Dances With Wolves

Office Space

Nah I’m only allowing glengary glenross from this you are a fucking piss taker just trying to make it awkward all the time. Dick 

52 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Nah I’m only allowing glengary glenross from this you are a fucking piss taker just trying to make it awkward all the time. Dick 

What exactly is awkward here? Films from Naked to the end of the list have already been nominated by other people (some of which would have been on my top 10 anyway and all of which would probably make my top 30). Since they have now qualified (some may have already been nominated twice anyway), you have no additional work, simply ad the titles to the list of already qualified films.

First four are some of my favourite films which nobody mentioned yet, as far as I know, and others may still think they deserve to be in it. Surely more good films make it, the better and more interesting tournament it will be.

25 minutes ago, SasaS said:

What exactly is awkward here? Films from Naked to the end of the list have already been nominated by other people (some of which would have been on my top 10 anyway and all of which would probably make my top 30). Since they have now qualified (some may have already been nominated twice anyway), you have no additional work, simply ad the titles to the list of already qualified films.

First four are some of my favourite films which nobody mentioned yet, as far as I know, and others may still think they deserve to be in it. Surely more good films make it, the better and more interesting tournament it will be.

Stop crying 

3 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Which reminds me, nobody mentioned The Crying Game either. So many good films in the 90s it's unreal.

Definitely get the feeling that the 80s was dominated by corporate blockbusters, while the 90s reverted back to filmmakers being allowed to innovate and create things in a wider range of styles and subject matter. 

23 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Definitely get the feeling that the 80s was dominated by corporate blockbusters, while the 90s reverted back to filmmakers being allowed to innovate and create things in a wider range of styles and subject matter. 

It was certainly one of the mini golden ages. One of the reasons was possibly the explosion of video in the 80s, when the output from the big studios failed to feel ever hungry shelves of the rental stores. This gave rise to a myriad of independent production companies which by the 90s became capable of producing more innovative and artistically brave stuff. Majors also allowed more freedom by acquiring independents where they stayed hands off, allowing them to retain a lot of creative control.  Production costs also came down and all those films funded through maxing out credit cards became possible, Clerks, El Mariachi and others.

You could also finance independents through foreign sales, if you had an established independent company you would simply come to the one of the 3 or 4 big annual trade fairs and sell your picture on the strength of the concept and cast (often only provisionally attached) and than you'd take signed agreements to the bank which will give you a loan to produce the film.

There was also a proliferation of smaller TV stations and channels throughout the world which made libraries very valuable, cable was spreading, satellite. There was a lot of demand, and a lot of very creative people rushing to make films. The following decade, it was TV's turn.