You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest 80's Movie - Semi Final Groups - Group A

Bjornebye

Greatest 80's Movie - Semi Final Groups - Group A   

48 members have voted

1. 1. Pick Your Favourite Film

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/05/21 at 12:24

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

That was really good that, superb even. 

What do you think, make the final head to head play off from the last group? To avoid winner benefiting from split vote like in the 70s. Two films enter one film leaves.

Just now, SasaS said:

What do you think, make the final head to head play off from the last group? To avoid winner benefiting from split vote like in the 70s. Two films enter one film leaves.

I was going to have the winners of the 4 groups in a final group ? But I can do head to heads if you want? 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I was going to have the winners of the 4 groups in a final group ? But I can do head to heads if you want? 

Head to head semifinals? Possibly. I'd vote mainly to avoid selecting the ultimate winner on FPTP basis from a group.

2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Head to head semifinals? Possibly. I'd vote mainly to avoid selecting the ultimate winner on FPTP basis from a group.

I don't really see a difference, if its a group of 4 and one wins its as clear as a head to head.... 

9 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I don't really see a difference, if its a group of 4 and one wins its as clear as a head to head.... 

Well, the logic as I see it would be: in the 70s, one of the Godfathers would have probably won the decade if the vote wasn't split. Don't know about the 80s, but in the 90s, in theory, lets say, Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs or True Romance may split the vote in favour of a film backed by a minority of Tarantino-haters. The ultimate winner should be able to beat the main challenger head to head. I know tournaments shouldn't drag too long, but head to head final is just one more round and it could be fun. Obviously, if you have a clear, undisputable winner in the final group it's stupid, but I don't feel we had that so far.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SasaS said:

Well, the logic as I see it would be: in the 70s, one of the Godfathers would have probably won the decade if the vote wasn't split. Don't know about the 80s, but in the 90s, in theory, lets say, Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs or True Romance may split the vote in favour of a film backed by a minority of Tarantino-haters. The ultimate winner should be able to beat the main challenger head to head. I know tournaments shouldn't drag too long, but head to head final is just one more round and it could be fun. Obviously, if you have a clear, undisputable winner in the final group it's stupid, but I don't feel we had that so far.

That's definitely a valid point.

Just now, SasaS said:

Ok I'll do another semi finals after this then a final. As for the 70's, nobody was stopping the Star Wars virgins. 

7 minutes ago, Elite said:

They are only just getting started as well, the fucking fridges.

Yeah I can see Empire Strikes back winning this decade. Great films no doubt but fuck me imagine voting Star Wars over One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest or The Godfather hahahaha. They all hatched a plan to sabotage the vote around a table in The Lisbon.