You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Premier League Round Up (May 23 2021)

tlw content

So that’s it for another year then. Is it me or has final day been shite for years now? There doesn’t seem to be much drama at either end of the table.

Even the other year when the title race went down to the last day everyone knew that City would beat Brighton so there was never the possibility of any real drama, and the relegation spots seem to be getting decided earlier each year too.

This was shite really. The only thing of any consequence up for grabs were third and fourth. That was interesting and had some drama due to Leicester and Chelsea both failing to to take care of business, unlike the Mighty Reds (yeah we’re mighty again now).

I expected that I’d feel sorry for Leicester if they missed out, but I actually don’t. They were given two penalties against Spurs, had the lead twice, and still somehow managed to lose to a team with nothing to play for.

They completely bottled it but it’s probably not a bad thing for them really. They won the FA Cup so it’s been a memorable season for them and let’s be honest here, Brendan is abysmal in Europe so the Champions League was probably biting off more than they could chew. Maybe the Europa League will be better for them, and I don’t mean that in a condescending way either. They could actually win that if Brendan doesn’t get in his own way.

You can argue that Leicester deserved top four but the season is 38 games and they finished where they finished. Had they beaten Spurs they'd have been in, but they didn't.

Maybe they deserved it ahead of Chelsea who ended the season with Jorginho as their top scorer on seven goals (all pens). That’s fucking scandalous given how much they’ve spent on forwards, but let's not forget that they had to overcome being managed by Lampard for over half a season so overall they’ve done well.

We overcame all kinds of shit too so I don’t think anyone can dispute our right to be in there. It does seem a bit sly on Leicester that they’ve spent virtually the whole of the last two seasons in the top four and then dropped out on the final day both times, but the season lasts for 38 games, not 37, and they didn't learn the lesson from last year.

Their game with Spurs was pretty wild. They led through a Vardy pen after he’d been tripped by Alderweireld. Somehow Anthony Taylor failed to spot that and needed VAR to correct him. He’s going to the Euros though. Our best ref, apparently. Jeez.

Vardy scored the pen and Leicester were briefly third. That changed when we took the lead in our game. Then Kane scored his customary goal which won him the Golden Boot and things got complicated. Leicester were fifth but Chelsea were losing at Villa courtesy of a fluke by Traore, which kicked the ball onto his standing foot and it lopped into the top corner.

We were in great shape but Leicester and Chelsea’s fates were in the balance. Leicester were given a second penalty, and this one was a fucking joke. Blatant dive by Vardy yet this time Taylor gave it and VAR backed him up. So yeah, that baldy manc fuck got both penalty decisions wrong.

Vardy converted again and Leicester were back up to fourth. There was more penalty drama, this time at Villa Park when Traore was clipped by Jorginho and El Ghazi made it 2-0. Chelsea were in big trouble now but Chilwell’s goal put them back up to fourth on goal difference.

Leicester needed a goal but ended up conceding one instead when Schmeichel punched into his own net. It was a brutal day for him as he’d earlier let Kane’s volley go through his legs, but that second goal gets disallowed more often than not as he was definitely impeded.

It got worse for Leicester when they got done on the break and Kane set up Bale to make it 3-2. Again, that usually gets disallowed as the ball bounced up and hit Kane’s hand.

Not deliberate, completely unavoidable and I don’t want to see goals disallowed for that, but isn’t that the rule? If the ball hits the hand of the goalscorer or the player who plays the final pass to the goalscorer, it doesn’t count. So I’m not sure how this was allowed, but given the two penalties they were awarded Leicester don’t have too much grounds for complaint.

Bale rubbed further salt in the wounds deep into stoppage time as Spurs secured their spot in the Europa Conference for next season. Better them than us, that’s all I can say.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that PL Round Ups are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

That Vardy 'penalty' was outrageous. He purposely tripped over the defender's leg! And fuck Leicester - everyone is feeling sorry for them, I don't get it. Their run of form for the last 6 games was lost 3, drew 2. As you say Dave, a league season is 38 games. 

Thought Kane's goal was really good - a proper sweet strike of the ball. It was deffo handball though, Magic Johnson would have been proud of that ball control. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

That Vardy 'penalty' was outrageous. He purposely tripped over the defender's leg! And fuck Leicester - everyone is feeling sorry for them, I don't get it. Their run of form for the last 6 games was lost 3, drew 2. As you say Dave, a league season is 38 games. 

Thought Kane's goal was really good - a proper sweet strike of the ball. It was deffo handball though, Magic Johnson would have been proud of that ball control. 

Not only that, he deliberately linked arms with the defender before then throwing himself over dramatically. And then with the benefit of replays - and being able to see what I've just described, the cunt on VAR failed to tell numpty Taylor to overturn it. These people are just so unbelievably clueless. 

The Guardian was doing one of these Best of...', 'Worst of....' articles this week. I threw in a comment wondering why there was no 'Worst refereeing/VAR decision of the season' award, and threw in a few examples..... Pickford on Virg, City's offside goal against Villa, United's 2-foot-out-of-play equaliser at West Ham.... Probbaly too many contenders for anyone to get their heads around.

I note that there was yet another rescinded red card (Azpilicueta) despite all the officials on the day agreeing on the original decision.

The media still appear to treat this shit as a series of individual human errors, when clearly, with so much of it going on, there's clearly a systemic issue. Elephant in the room (and I don't mean Jon Moss).

• Upvote 3

If everyone's supposed to feel sorry for Leicester why aren't they crying it in for us? We won the first and last thirds of the season so obviously deserve the title. 

Didn't Big Nat get into some team of the season alondside Dias? Well deserved if true. 

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Id put Grealish as player of the season sumbitch is damn near unplayable at times. Id sign him in a heartbeat. If it was Germany Bayern would be snapping those two up and continuing the pisstake that is the domination of German football. Shame we can't afford either.

He missed the last couple of months otherwise he would have been a serious challenger to Kane.

1 hour ago, Josef Svejk said:

Paddy O'Bamford can fuck off and die. 

Them's fighting words.

3 hours ago, Tarwater said:

Agree with all that, except I suspect there surely must be a bigger cunt than Allan to include in the massive cunts XI. I mean, as long as Bernardo Silva is still playing, he will hold a regular spot.

I've hardly watched City and when I have that little shitbag has barely featured so I'd completely forgotten about him.

Allan was in there to make up the numbers though. I don't like him but I'm willing to listen to alternative suggestions as his place is far from secure.

Sigurdsson missed the pen, which begs the question what’s the fucking point of him? Literally the only thing he does is take pens and set-pieces, and if he can’t do that then they may as well just put an Everton shirt on a scarecrow and stick it out there in midfield. Although that would be unfair on commentators who would struggle to tell the difference between that and Tom Davies.

And that's what we pay our money for @dave u

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Earlier in the season, we had a goal ruled out for an unintentional handball against spurs that occurred by the halfway line.  How they allowed that spurs goal to stand when Kane played the pass to enable Bale to score just highlights the differing standards that we have been playing too, compared with other teams.   

Cheers for all your work through this horrible season, great final round up.

There were 4 things that would make this season a little less of a shitefest;

1)  we qualify for Euro cup

2)  Chelsea don't 

3)  Leicester win FA cup

4)  Mancs lose UEFA 

3 out of 4 ain't bad!

Azpilawhatshisface surely in cunt XI? He's been a serial cunt for years.

• Upvote 3

• dave u unpinned this topic