You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mr Inbetween

9 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I've enjoyed this show but never quite understood some of the adulation for it in this thread. Was this week really the last episode? If so, was that some shit arsed version of the sopranos finale? Or have I missed something? I've just finished it, I really don't get the end at all. 

It's a brilliant show and I'm not just some fan boy.

Ray Shoesmith as a character is magnificent; he's extremely likeable, cool as fuck, hard as fuck, very funny, literally capable of anything but he also has vulnerabilities and compassion, which the show manages to capture incredibly well.

You then have some top notch side characters; Gary who provides the comic relief and is a completely believable character (We all know a lad like him, sound as fuck but a complete deviant), his brother Bruce whose battle with MND is portrayed with realism and compassion, then you have the assortment of low lives Ray works and comes into contact with throughout the show which all work really well. The family stuff is also great as it shows the subtle impacts of day to day life that Ray suffers with due to his line of 'work'.

The pacing of the show is superb as there's hardly a wasted scene, the storylines are varied with a multitude of different tones from comedy to brutality and everything in between which all add to the overall arc of the show and character development.

And all that's not even forgetting the action scenes which are top notch.

In short, it's fucking ace and I'm devastated it's finished as they could have span it out for years and I'd have full faith in Scott Ryan nailing it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

My only criticism is that it's finished too soon. Had a lot more mileage in it

I listened to an interview were he addressed this. Character has been kicking around for 20 years, he feels he’s given it more than a far crack. 

I’d love a bit more too but I’d prefer it to

end earlier than outstay its welcome. 

Worth a listen.

• Upvote 3

Only got put onto this very recently by Turdsy and have done all 3 seasons in a month or so, the first 2 twice each already. It’s absolutely sublime right the way through, isn’t it.

Loved the little nod to them watching Chopper and Neville Bartos in the last season.

I’ll look forward to having a geez at The Magician as well. 

• Upvote 2

On 16/07/2021 at 10:21, Elite said:

It's a brilliant show and I'm not just some fan boy.

Ray Shoesmith as a character is magnificent; he's extremely likeable, cool as fuck, hard as fuck, very funny, literally capable of anything but he also has vulnerabilities and compassion, which the show manages to capture incredibly well.

You then have some top notch side characters; Gary who provides the comic relief and is a completely believable character (We all know a lad like him, sound as fuck but a complete deviant), his brother Bruce whose battle with MND is portrayed with realism and compassion, then you have the assortment of low lives Ray works and comes into contact with throughout the show which all work really well. The family stuff is also great as it shows the subtle impacts of day to day life that Ray suffers with due to his line of 'work'.

The pacing of the show is superb as there's hardly a wasted scene, the storylines are varied with a multitude of different tones from comedy to brutality and everything in between which all add to the overall arc of the show and character development.

And all that's not even forgetting the action scenes which are top notch.

In short, it's fucking ace and I'm devastated it's finished as they could have span it out for years and I'd have full faith in Scott Ryan nailing it.

That's it in a few paragraphs.

What I also like is he is not your muscle bound , all action  "hero".  Experience is his weapon been there done it , everything can be sorted. Thought it pretty telling a top buck cat criminal had to point out to his numb skull bodyguard that , he had encountered the magician . He flew under the radar but his exploits  didnt . 

I decided to rewatch, there are brilliant characters throughout but Ray’s Brother is outstanding in it. 

Im halfway through Season 2,  just amazing show, I think it’s top tier watch and hits so many different marks throughout. If you haven’t watched then I’m completely jealous.

Just off for a raw sandwich.

• Upvote 4

I love the running thread throughout about Gary being a conspiracy nut. Was distracted first time round, so hadn't clocked that at the start of S3 episode 5 he's crazy prepping. Fucking great character. He'd definitely be an anti-vaxxer.