You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ibrahima Konaté

• 4 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

It wasn't his fault for the goal we conceded, it was the midfield's. The 'mistake' didn't cost us. 

Konate could certainly have done better, Son scored from the CB’s zone, Matip is also better for our attacking game. 

14 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

He was tracking his runner just fine. Let's not pretend Matip would have done anything differently in that situation. 

As for our attacking game. Yes, marginally. 

I think we would have won that game with Matip. 

There's really not much in it. Konate is marginally quicker (Joel is way faster than people give him credit for), Joel is better bringing the ball out, Konate is more of a threat on set-pieces.

I'd go with Joel in the biggest games purely on experience, but Konate is way better than I expected him to be at this stage.

27 minutes ago, dave u said:

There's really not much in it. Konate is marginally quicker (Joel is way faster than people give him credit for), Joel is better bringing the ball out, Konate is more of a threat on set-pieces.

I'd go with Joel in the biggest games purely on experience, but Konate is way better than I expected him to be at this stage.

Certainly not the difference between winning and losing games and titles, in my view. 

First half of the season Matip was arguably our best CB. I think his form has tailed off the last couple of months though, and Konate has improved in the same time.

Tough call for the Spurs game. Matip's experience is invaluable, but Spurs were going to defend in numbers, and a set-piece goal could've been the difference on the day, which might've swung it for Konate. Plus, Kane likes to manhandle a CB, and Ibou is built like a brick shithouse.

I have nothing against Konate, I think he will be a superb player for us and he has had a good start. 

But as an argument, in Matip’s last three starts before the Spurs game we had conceded 0 goals, in Konate’s last three games before the Spurs game we had conceded 6. 

I certainly think it was tactical from Klopp, Konate also started in the 2-2 game away to Spurs, I just think it was the wrong call. 

2 hours ago, dave u said:

This , goal threat from corners and hopefully strong in our box against Rudiger.

I'm ok with him and I reckon Matip will be the pick for the other final.