You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ibrahima Konaté

1 minute ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Was immense today, handled Lukaku's physical approach well, showed his pace when necessary, and even brought the ball out a fair amount.

Can't believe Code hates him.

The way he shove Lukaku out the way in the 1st half showed how strong he is not many throw Lukaku about.

16 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

First half of the season Matip was arguably our best CB. I think his form has tailed off the last couple of months though, and Konate has improved in the same time.

Tough call for the Spurs game. Matip's experience is invaluable, but Spurs were going to defend in numbers, and a set-piece goal could've been the difference on the day, which might've swung it for Konate. Plus, Kane likes to manhandle a CB, and Ibou is built like a brick shithouse.

Tailed off? We haven't lost a game with him playing for ages, nor Konate.

I agree with Code, would have started with Matip over him against Spurs.

No knock on him, Matip is just a more progressive passer and someone that can go on a mazy run that upsets the line Conte has spent a week practicing on.

He was just short of Allison as Man of of the match today, and if we picked our team on form I don’t know that VVD - the best CB of the last 20 years - would get in.

Certainly, it would be an arguable point.

26 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

I agree with Code, would have started with Matip over him against Spurs.

No knock on him, Matip is just a more progressive passer and someone that can go on a mazy run that upsets the line Conte has spent a week practicing on.

He was just short of Allison as Man of of the match today, and if we picked our team on form I don’t know that VVD - the best CB of the last 20 years - would get in.

Certainly, it would be an arguable point.

VVD is still immense. It's just that we have some very capable back up players.

A great performance from him tonight. He’s just physically superior to almost anyone he plays on. Reminds me a bit of Sol Campbell. Waiting for him last year is proving to be the right move, even taking into account the shitshow it caused us. 

3 hours ago, Mathewbet1 said:

Is he too good to leave out of the final? This is not a slight on matip I would be happy with either. Just think he could handle Benzema's physicality. 

It's not Benzema's physicality we need to be concerned about imo, it's Vinicius sprinting into the space vacated by Trent. That's the reason I'd pick Konate against Madrid.

• Upvote 2

As good as Konate has been, I'm not sure that at his age and experience level he can handle Benzema's craftiness and he and Vinicius' ability in tight spaces. It would be asking a lot. Benzema is not a normal centre forward. 

That said, I don't think Benzema faces too many centre backs with the physical qualities of Konate in Spain, so maybe he would struggle with that as well. It will be a tough decision.

1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

It's not Benzema's physicality we need to be concerned about imo, it's Vinicius sprinting into the space vacated by Trent. That's the reason I'd pick Konate against Madrid.

And why having Fabinho fit is so important so that Henderson can play on the right of the midfield three.

Majority of Madrid's threat will come down our right hand side.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

As good as Konate has been, I'm not sure that at his age and experience level he can handle Benzema's craftiness and he and Vinicius' ability in tight spaces. It would be asking a lot. Benzema is not a normal centre forward. 

That said, I don't think Benzema faces too many centre backs with the physical qualities of Konate in Spain, so maybe he would struggle with that as well. It will be a tough decision.

Big Virg sticks that doyle in his pocket.

9 hours ago, No2 said:

I'd go with Konate for the set pieces, Madrid are a small side. They will need to double up on Virgil and Konate leaving Sadio free to do his thing.

Similar to the game at their training ground last season, I don't see Vinicius doing any defensive work. He'll stay forwards and look to occupy the space behind Trent for counters. 

For that reason, as harsh as it would be on Matip, I'd be starting Konate in Paris.

11 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Similar to the game at their training ground last season, I don't see Vinicius doing any defensive work. He'll stay forwards and look to occupy the space behind Trent for counters. 

For that reason, as harsh as it would be on Matip, I'd be starting Konate in Paris.

I think our regular players now realise that subs have a massive part to play in games like this. Isn't that right Kostas?