You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ibrahima Konaté

4 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

The mancs love an aimless hoof in behind a high defensive line for Rashford or Greenwood to chase. Maybe it was Konate's recovery pace they figured would help? He's a bit quicker to turn and recover than Matip. Although to be fair, Matip's no slouch in that regard either. None of our lads are.

You’d guess that might be what he had over Joel, while the threat of Ronaldo from crosses would mean his aerial ability had him the edge over Gomez.

• Upvote 2

I think we might lose Gomez in the summer. He will be desperate to get in tbe England squad for the world cup and i think he may struggle to get past Matip and Konate to get enough games to be picked. I hope not, but i can't see him being one that will sit quietly and wait for games

5 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

I think we might lose Gomez in the summer. He will be desperate to get in tbe England squad for the world cup and i think he may struggle to get past Matip and Konate to get enough games to be picked. I hope not, but i can't see him being one that will sit quietly and wait for games

Was thinking the same thing. Really cant see Joe being happy missing out on games and getting the occasional domestic cup game or thrown on for the last 15 here and there. Pretty sure he'd have thought he was in with a chance of playing against the mancs on hearing Joel was being rested and not to be would have been a blow.

Could see he going back to a London club, maybe Spurs or West Ham?

14 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Was thinking the same thing. Really cant see Joe being happy missing out on games and getting the occasional domestic cup game or thrown on for the last 15 here and there. Pretty sure he'd have thought he was in with a chance of playing against the mancs on hearing Joel was being rested and not to be would have been a blow.

Arsenal would still be a option or maybe even Newcastle if they start splashing cash. They could probably over pay his wages and get a good young homegrown CB to help build the team around. 

16 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Gomez is cover for VVD and Konate for Matip.

I think Klopp said that verbatim in the summer.

17 minutes ago, m0e said:

Gomez is cover for VVD and Konate for Matip.

I think Klopp said that verbatim in the summer.

But can you see the lad staying to play the odd league game and start in the cups when a world cup spot is on the line. He has missed loads of football the last 4/5byears i don't see him hanging around to be emergency back up

2 hours ago, Lee909 said:

But can you see the lad staying to play the odd league game and start in the cups when a world cup spot is on the line. He has missed loads of football the last 4/5byears i don't see him hanging around to be emergency back up

I suppose the way I see it is, if he stays, he's as good a cover as you're likely to get. If he doesn't, we make a lot of money and replace him with someone potentially better.

Either way, I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over it.

I'm too busy enjoying the moment we're in.

Great 1 on 1 defender, really pleased with what we've seen so far in that respect, but needs to develop his tactical nous. A few runners can catch him flat-footed and got a touch of the Lovrens when it comes to chasing things out of position.

I don't think the game yesterday was too surprising. He's a 22 year old who's defensive qualities are physical and he's still learning. Facing a team who set up the way they did with a mobile forward who he had to chase around and midfielders who were making runs from all over the place with no protection from our own midfield. It would have been really difficult.

• Upvote 1

Just now, VladimirIlyich said:

After his performance at Man U it was no surprise at all.

Actually, I think it was unless Matip had a reaction to his run out at Preston. Klopp said they only put him in the team to face united because they saw something in training they could use against them ie, it was a virtual one off decision.

40 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Hardly mate, he played against Utd were you complaining then?

He was far from the worse yesterday.

I was complaining before the game, and us winning had almost fuck all to do with him.

I certainly didn't want or expect him to play versus Brighton. Especially given the midfield options.

7 minutes ago, m0e said:

I was complaining before the game, and us winning had almost fuck all to do with him.

I certainly didn't want or expect him to play versus Brighton. Especially given the midfield options.

So it was the midfields fault and Matip who I have championed for years would have made a huge difference against Brighton? Possibly or probably but he might also have struggled with no fucking cover from midfield. The midfield was fucking awful Chamberlain and Jones in particular. Neither are midfielders by the way, Chamberlain is deluded into thinking he is a real Klopp mistake and Jones is an attacking midfielder who can also play wide.

3 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Found it difficult playing in a side with no midfielders.

The absolute fucking shithouse.

I don't blame for most of his performance, but he's genuinely jogging when they've cut us open and are about to score the equaliser.