You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Euro 2020(21)

Bjornebye

Just now, Chocoholic said:

@KMD7 are you watching on RTE2? If so, is it my imagination, has Peter Collins' voice or accent changed considerably? I was looking to see who the new presenter was, as I didn't recognise the voice, then I saw it was Collins.

I am mate. No, haven't noticed any significant change in it if I'm honest!  He's from Westport isn't he?

7 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

Having world class players seems to be a huge advantage, that's what I'm getting from this tournament.

Aye. That's why Italy aren't winning it and why (sadly) England have a chance.

Just now, Em City said:

Stonewall pen. Alaba with a stupid challenge.

A stonewall pen it may be in isolation, but a free kick to Austria should be the result. Why should we watch a replay of a Dutch player diving seconds before - a clear act of simulation with no contact at all - that should result in a free kick and a booking, and be ok that it is simply ignored, yet a foul mere seconds later in the play, the defender making the tackle likely wouldn’t have done if the first player hadn’t dived.

1 minute ago, Scott_M said:

I sincerely hope the pressure is ramped up on our officials next season - the Euros have proved VAR can work, why can’t you useless fucks implement it properly?

It’s been less shit here, admittedly. 

Just now, Bob Spunkmouse said:

It’s been less shit here, admittedly. 

It’s been absolutely miles better.

Honestly though, journalists should be writing articles on it and pundits should be making a comments on it. 

The main reason VAR has been shite over here is because the officials are shite.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, m0e said:

Aye. That's why Italy aren't winning it and why (sadly) England have a chance.

If England win this tournament I'll buy a collection of hats and eat every single one of them.

France, Belgium, Italy, Germany, and Portugal are all better than England. Holland would probably beat them. Spain would beat them on penalties after spending 120 minutes fucking around with the ball and seeing Morata spoon their two decent chances over the bar.

England have a shit keeper, shit centre backs, and bang average inexperienced central midfielders. They have a collection of decent attacking midfielders/wide forwards and Kane. And I'm not actually sure if Kane touched the ball against Croatia. 

And of course, they're managed by Gareth Southgate. 

They're in a group with a Croatia team that needs pensioning off, and Scotland and Czech Republic who are both, frankly, rubbish. The first decent team England face will see them packing their bags.

• Upvote 7

The Dutch play beautiful passing football but are going nowhere meaningful with Weghorst and Depay up front.

Malen can't be up to much if he can't get picked ahead of those too cast iron jabronis. That, or De Boer is clueless.

11 minutes ago, Em City said:

The Dutch play beautiful passing football but are going nowhere meaningful with Weghorst and Depay up front.

Malen can't be up to much if he can't get picked ahead of those too cast iron jabronis. That, or De Boer is clueless.

Frank de Boer isn't a great coach, but all the coaches in this tournament in general seem to be looking to pace their squad for a long run in the tournament. Whether the team is good enough to do so is another matter. They want to ensure they have a few difference makers on the bench ready to unleash on tiring defences. Also, coaches in general tend to want their initial decisions to be vindicated with a second attempt, either to prove that whatever worked the first time will work again, or that it didn't work first time is down to other factors.

12 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Austria are just like West Brom who have borrowed a Bayern Munich player for one day.

I remember the absolute shite they served up at World Cup 1998. 5 out-and-out defenders, 3 defensive midfielders, Andreas Herzog to make anything happen, and 80 year old Toni Polster up front. I hate it when teams turn up at major tournaments and never attempt to do anything productive.

I wasn’t happy we let Gini’s contract run out - the more I watch the Dutch the more unhappy I’m becoming.

Gutted. 
And we’ve got that useless prick Keita who’s probably on more money going to be most likely injured again next season. 

• Upvote 1