You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Euro 2020(21)

Bjornebye

15 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Loving the way players who've won fuck all in their career and play for nomark clubs tear off a runners up medal for an international tournament as soon as it is put over their neck. 

That really fucked me off that! At least Hendo showed a bit of class and left his on.

At the end of the day it's a medal, you've played in a final, you've lost but you got there, show some appreciation!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

If he wasn't so negative they wouldn't have made the final.

Not so sure about that as the level of teams they had to play wasn't that good - even the German side was a very poor team.

1 minute ago, Mark M said:

Not so sure about that as the level of teams they had to play wasn't that good - even the German side was a very poor team.

Yea, I get that. Just don't think he/they could have flipped a switch and changed styles without being exposed. 

I think Italy wins in regular time if Chiesa was able to continue.

Of all the players in that final - he would be great for us.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Juniper said:

What if I told you that you could love your county whilst also hating / disliking certain elements of it. 

(Some of the national teams supporters, the government…etc)

This isn’t North Korea. 

All correct bar for your last sentence.

10 hours ago, s(k)aturation said:

I disagree with this.

And unlike your opinion of my opinion, I don't think yours is crazy.

Anyhoo, thanks.

Per game, 19 teams in the tournament produced more shots than England. 19. That tells you Southgate tried to shithouse his way to a win because he couldn't make the team an attacking force or control games through his coaching. 

And I thought it was going to work. But when you play like that and it ends up not working, the manager needs to get flack. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Per game, 19 teams in the tournament produced more shots than England. 19. That tells you Southgate tried to shithouse his way to a win because he make the team an attacking force or control games through his coaching. 

And I thought it was going to work.

It was obvious what he was doing from the first game and it nearly succeded bar a couple of dickheads doing the macarena on their run ups. 

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Well bar for the forty odd coppers injured, trouble around the stadium and a load of online racist filth against their own players because they missed a penalty kick I also thought England's fans behaved impeccably.

Who was that wise old fella who said "if can't support us when we lose don't bother supporting us when we win.?

Apparently the police initially denied anyone bunked in.

48 minutes ago, Juniper said:

What if I told you that you could love your county whilst also hating / disliking certain elements of it. 

(Some of the national teams supporters, the government…etc)

This isn’t North Korea. 

Spot on

1 minute ago, Arniepie said:

Apparently the police initially denied anyone bunked in.

They were probably told too. When Utd fans stormed Old Trafford before we played them they had to call the game off incase anyone had left a device in the arena. Funny how they didn't do that last night. 

13 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Per game, 19 teams in the tournament produced more shots than England. 19. That tells you Southgate tried to shithouse his way to a win because he couldn't make the team an attacking force or control games through his coaching. 

And I thought it was going to work. But when you play like that and it ends up not working, the manager needs to get flack. 

Southgate isn't a great tactician, he's fundamentally conservative in his approach and that has held them back. However being an international coach is a lot more than picking 11 players and setting them up. There is a million different other things that England have been traditionally shit at and he's fixed them. The squad is the most together squad I have known, he has picked and dropped players based on form which wasn't always the case. He's a good relationship with the media, with clubs and managers, in short he plays the politics well. You could swap him for a more tactically astute manager and lose half of the above. International management is a retirement home these days, he could well be as good as they can hope for.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, No2 said:

Southgate isn't a great tactician, he's fundamentally conservative in his approach and that has held them back. However being an international coach is a lot more than picking 11 players and setting them up. There is a million different other things that England have been traditionally shit at and he's fixed them. The squad is the most together squad I have known, he has picked and dropped players based on form which wasn't always the case. He's a good relationship with the media, with clubs and managers, in short he plays the politics well. You could swap him for a more tactically astute manager and lose half of the above. International management is a retirement home these days, he could well be as good as they can hope for.

Some very good points. But at the end of the day, the manager is there to win. Other countries have internal disputes within the squad. Looks like the French had big issues this competition. You'd think one of the first things any international manager has to sort out at this level is get players to leave the inter club cliques, obssessions, whatever you want to call them, left outside the doors to St George's.

Tactically, I dont think he's very good. Selecting the penalty takers was always going to be highlighted when you lose a shoot out. It is a lottery after all. I still think you go with the players who want to take pens at the death though.

The plan to bring Rashford and Sancho on with 120 seconds plus added time to go just doesnt give the players chance to get their eye in. I still cannot get over all the weight and responsibility of the 5th pen being given to the least experienced player, Saka, on the night.