You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Euro 2020(21)

Bjornebye

38 minutes ago, s(k)aturation said:

I've had another think about this - it's a slow news Sunday here in Oz - and am wondering whether the "excitement" of this system might be measured by how many teams, going into the 3rd round robin, are still facing possible elimination.

I can't be fagged working out the permutations, and couldn't, but I'm guessing at least 12 teams will go into that 3rd round still in danger of "the drop".

I guess that's "exciting"?

England being one of them does give it some merit.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Asensio maybe. Isco, fucking no chance. He's done. Looks like a fat street guitarist now. Largely an absolute joke in Spain.

Nacho should have been in the squad, and I don't think Carvajal would have been left out had he been fit.

Aspas probably should have been in the squad rather than Traore who they are never going to play. Oyarzabal is a really good footballer though, and Moreno, Morata and Torres were always going to be selected. 

It's a pretty decent squad which Enrique is not getting much out of.

Azpilicueta should be at right back. Llorente is criminally wasted there, he got 12 league goals last season. Thiago should be playing instead of Pedri.

Llorente gives no option on the outside. He plays like a midfielder. Everything is so static. Made worse by both Moreno and Morata both playing.

Azpi RB, Koke DM instead of Rodri, bring Thiago to mf and play some forwards that can move. 

10 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

When Murphy said England wouldn't fear Spain, I thought you arrogant twat, not like the Spanish would be shitting themselves playing Ingerlund on their showings thus far. To be fair, the worst Spanish team I can remember in donkey's years.

Was great seeing Germany come good today. Listening to some pundits on these shores, you would think Germany were a shit Scunthorpe. You look at their team and full of absolute winners like Muller, Neuer, Kimmich and Kroos. 

He would have said the same when Spain were still quality. 

Standard English punditry, say good foreign teams are shire and the English side are better (whether club or country) and then slag them off when it turns out that the rest of the world maybe isn't actually shit.

1 hour ago, Razoray said:

Llorente gives no option on the outside. He plays like a midfielder. Everything is so static. Made worse by both Moreno and Morata both playing.

Azpi RB, Koke DM instead of Rodri, bring Thiago to mf and play some forwards that can move. 

Moreno should be the striker. He got 30 goals last year playing for a team that plays decent football. 

Koke, Thiago, Llorente would be a good midfield. 

Aspas could have played on the right. I guess Oyarzabal I guess could do it. 

3 hours ago, s(k)aturation said:

I guess that's "exciting"?

Given we’re now on the last round of group games and I think (I might be wrong) all 24 teams can still progress, would be classed as “exciting”. 

• Upvote 1

I read something yesterday on why VAR has been so much better in the Euros. 

Apparently, they have a significant amount of VAR officials. One will look at penalties, one will look at red cards, one only look at offsides etc. 

Seems overkill but obviously is making it more efficient. 

Chief Nonce Mike Riley would take on board this feedback. He’ll make all games that kick off at the same time be VAR’d (ie 3pm games) by the same official because he clearly knows best. 

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

Given we’re now on the last round of group games and I think (I might be wrong) all 24 teams can still progress, would be classed as “exciting”. 

Yes, I have reconsidered my position.

I am enjoying the tournament a lot - as evidenced by the total bollocks I've been spouting, regularly, on this thread.

57 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I read something yesterday on why VAR has been so much better in the Euros. 

Apparently, they have a significant amount of VAR officials. One will look at penalties, one will look at red cards, one only look at offsides etc. 

Seems overkill but obviously is making it more efficient. 

Chief Nonce Mike Riley would take on board this feedback. He’ll make all games that kick off at the same time be VAR’d (ie 3pm games) by the same official because he clearly knows best. 

Obviously they went for a piss and Stockley Park filled in for the Lovren penalty?

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Denmark and Turkey I would imagine as well.

Just had a quick look and Denmark could even end up 2nd if they beat Russia handily and Belgium beat Finland.

If Turkey beat the Swiss they would be third , but have no idea how the best 4 of them are worked out. 

( even Alexander the Great's lot could technically come third but are slightly unlikely to hammer Holland and Tilburg )

3 hours ago, sir roger said:

North Macedonia are out I think

They are the only team that are definitely already out. Head-to-head between two teams who finish level on points is the first decider, so even if North Macedonia beat the already-qualified Dutch in their last game, they already have an inferior head-to-head with both Ukraine and Austria having lost to both so they can't finish higher than 4th anyway, even if one of those two loses when they face each other.

• Upvote 1

Not sure the argument that our national team is followed by racist nationalists whereas every other countries national team is followed by progressive people carries much weight. 

Also worth pointing out that the likes of Fox etc al. All said they were not supporting England!