You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Euro 2020(21)

Bjornebye

Well the best team on the night won. I wanted England to win but after Jorginho went down for a break, England lost their early momentum and Italy recovered from their initial shock. I'm probably being unfair here but Southgate for me seemed to freeze, we all knew that it wasn't working and needed changes but he either didn't know what to do or was too scared to make them. In the second half at 1-1 England played like they were protecting a 1 goal lead, madness. 

The only person that looked gutted when the last penalty was missed was my 8 year old granddaughter and I felt sorry at least for her, she hasn't spent half a century watching the national team balls it up, she will get used to it. The luckiest person was my 3 year old grandson, who has been singing 'I'm going home' but had like most of the England team been fast asleep for hours when they lost. 

Players shouldn't have to avoid social media but I think it's about time they did. Also those platforms need to hunt out those responsible for the sickening racist abuse and provide the evidence so the perpetrators can be prosecuted. If they can't then they should be shut down, social media platforms need to start taking more responsibility for the scum that use it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

1 hour ago, s(k)aturation said:

Dunno what fucking shithouse wrote this on Instagram, but whoever it was, he needs shooting....

Oh, erm, hang on, it was my almost 14yo son, Tom... should we spare him his life from this monstrosity, @Scott_M ??

IMG-20210712-WA0009.jpg

Thats a great post from your lad.

• Like 1

I wonder if England will ever end their penalty curse. It's pretty impressive how many big games they've lost on penalties in major tournaments.

I like Southgate as a person but it was pretty clear from day one that he's not a good manager and last night he was completely out of his depth. That said, he's done better than most England managers.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Hahahahahaha.

You're off your rocker if you think I'm wasting hours of my time on this pointless shit. There were several posts just in the Everton thread in the last 48 hours alone.

10 House Points if you can tell me who penned this little gem though:

I'd really rather we didn't get another Italian team. Their fans were wankers against Everton (Not on a Napoli/Roma level) and it just brings unnecessary aggro. 6th in Serie A at the minute. Shouldn't be a problem on the pitch. I just hate Italian fans. 

You're like some ragtop reporter.  There's something off about you lad.  

1 hour ago, DaveT said:

England and Southgate reverting to type in the end. They played well in the first half but after Italy tweaked their tactics and personnel at halftime, and fully seized the initiative, Southgate did his rabbit in headlights act. Waited too long to act, made the wrong decisions, failed to beef up the midfield where Veratti and that horrible twat Jorginho were running the show. Too many speculative passes on the occasions they did win the ball back, too little composure, too many hoofed clearances. Hard to tell what formation England went to after they reverted to a back four. Saka certainly didn’t seem to know. It seemed to end up as a 4-1-4-1, but it was shambolic whatever it was. And how did Mount stay on the pitch so long? Maybe Southgate, like the rest of us, forgot he was there!

Ah well, we can fully focus on the serious business of the transfer window and pre-season. 

Pretty much how it was. Think the occasion got to some lads. Fully agree with your evaluation of Jorginho, one snidey twat, you have to take him on and be physical with him.

6 hours ago, aRdja said:

My only relevant claim to fame here in is my high school coach/teacher coached Skoko for North Geelong. He was pretty handy too, but we were brutal. Won one game in two seasons.

Fuck thats a tough 2 seasons!!

Jorginho likes that hop, skip and jump thing when he takes penalties, but the others kept it simple. Nothing fancy like a Pirlo Panenka, but nothing daft like Simone Zaza's dancing on the spot twattishness either.

13 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

I’ve given myself the day off so I can enjoy maximum footage of all those who won’t watch another football match until the World Cup crying over a result they don’t really care about other than how many ‘likes’ pictures of them feigning devastation on social media garner. 

This morning they wake up and it's the last day of their football superpower, where they can go ASDA with the St George Cross (SGC) and show solidarity for their boys, and perhaps exchange a couple of words with someone else displaying SGC tendencies as they lock their cars and walk towards the entrance. 

"Gutting wasn't it mate?" 

He looks back, 50 years of hurt in his tiny bleary eyes. 

"At least the white ones scored"

There needs to be a way of removing the stain of ITS COMING HOME from our lives.  It cheapens everything it touches.  The next World Cup is next year, and I might work on a version of AGADOO that I can make a quick million from.  It's easy this. 

• Upvote 1

It's the morning after the night before. And I'm still pissing myself laughing at that Chiellini foul. It's hilarious and brilliant at the same time. You don't win as much as Chiellini has without having that do anything to win mentality, similar to the Gary Chihuahua stuff that Suarez exemplified. 

The outrage from England fans saying that he should've been sent off is just miss that little bit of acknowledging that the foul took place about 40 yards from goal and didn't deny a goal scoring opportunity. Hey ho. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, deiseach said:

Usher:

42b.gif

The more I think about this...Chiellini performs a foul for the ages while Pickford has the prospect of being a national hero dangled in front of him only to have it snatched away. I'd be surprised if Dave hasn't eaten himself.

Seeing the boys burst into tears when England lost was fucking horrible to see, told them we’d do something cool tonight to make up for it. 

Came downstairs to pour another G&T and remembered the three gammons in our street who ripped down their England flags after the Scotland draw had been setting up fireworks in the afternoon. 

I stood at the kitchen window having a drink watching them try to light the fireworks in the pissing rain, only, the only one they could even get to start was a Catherine wheel that fizzed out after about 15 seconds. 

I just watched pissing myself laughing, enjoying a gin and told myself off for ever doubting England wouldn’t find a way to fuck it all up. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 11

1 hour ago, CapeRed said:

Thats a great post from your lad.

Cheers mate.

Could teach us older, wiser shithouses a thing or two at times, eh... and he's in the maelstrom of social media, balls-deep.

He was showing me the most disgraceful, disgusting stuff in the aftermath of the game last night... five white lads kicking the shit out of an Asian bloke etc etc etc...

Fucked up world we're giving to our lads and lasses, that's for sure....

Guest Alex_K

Very similar format to the Croatia semi. Southgate shows why he was never more than a doss-house manager before miraculously landing the National job; a blood and guts start that completely fell by the wayside the moment game management was needed. 
There was more than a little about the performance that reminded me of a team like Stoke vs us in years gone by. Run around like a team possessed for the first 30, get knackered and play the rest of the game rooted in their own half. 

Difficult to see how they transition forward. Ironically he has done a more respectable job than infinitely more talented managers like Capello; fundamentally though they set up in such a small time way that the final hurdle will likely always be beyond them.

4 minutes ago, s(k)aturation said:

Cheers mate.

Could teach us older, wiser shithouses a thing or two at times, eh... and he's in the maelstrom of social media, balls-deep.

He was showing me the most disgraceful, disgusting stuff in the aftermath of the game last night... five white lads kicking the shit out of an Asian bloke etc etc etc...

Society is almost finished as we know it. Everything has been politicised and weaponised. Its a far cry from the communities I grew up in where everyone would pull together for each other regardless.

A crying shame for my children to endure.

• Upvote 5

7 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

There are millions of posts on this forum. Are you denying there's not even a few hundred detailing bad experiences with Italian fans? If so, it isn't me who's lying here.

Because if there isn't a widespread belief that Italian fans are problematic, why would you make a comment about hating Italian fans? Bit random, isn't it?

As I say, I'm not wasting hours of my life proving what we both already know - to the extent that you're willing to say you hate Italian fans - just so you can ignore the evidence.

Deleted what?

You made the claim, back it up. You’re a liar and a shitbag.

Are you big enough to admit it? Doubtful. You haven’t got an ounce of integrity 

My missus uncle worked the game last night, messaged me during the first half telling me the night had pretty much been ruined in the stadium. Stewards getting filled in badly. Really vile atmosphere. Sad outcome to an otherwise very good tournament. A certain ilk just don’t know how to behave. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

My missus uncle worked the game last night, messaged me during the first half telling me the night had pretty much been ruined in the stadium. Stewards getting filled in badly. Really vile atmosphere. Sad outcome to an otherwise very good tournament. A certain ilk just don’t know how to behave. 

Whilst not excusing the behaviour, we know what they can be like, I think lockdown has played a massive part mental health wise on people. Some of them are like rabid animals, completely without reason. Theres lots of anger hanging in the air.

To be honest I thought Southgate's initial tactics were pretty sound. Knew Italy would dominate the ball in the middle through the Jorginho / Barella / Veratti axis so fucked off the 4-2-3-1, and picked a side that wilfully gave up the middle of the park but would have the run of the flanks. For about 20 minutes it worked really well - then Jorginho got injured and Mancini used the break to explain how to counter it. From there, Italy never looked back and Southgate left it far, far too late to change things. In the end I paradoxically thought England's best chance to win was on penalties - despite the shit record - since they barely laid a glove on Italy for 75 minutes at least.

So he could have done some shit better but equally the Italians are a better side - they were on the night by a distance and they were through the tournament as well.

I'm sad for (most of) the players and that an opportunity for a bit of national unity has been lost, and I'm gutted for a few mates who are properly into the international footy. But the fucking cunts who broke into the stadium, crushing other fans and smashing into stewards, trashing the streets and sending racist shit to Saka and Rashford will be equally gutted, and that's very fucking enjoyable.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, s(k)aturation said:

Cheers mate.

It certainly is mate. The mind boggles and its like there is no accountability these days. We've got some wonderful shit going on herevat the moment, burning and looting shops .

13 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Whilst not excusing the behaviour, we know what they can be like, I think lockdown has played a massive part mental health wise on people. Some of them are like rabid animals, completely without reason. Theres lots of anger hanging in the air.

The eagerness to get out and visit museums etc had been bottled for quite some time. Let’s blame that 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, s(k)aturation said:

Cheers mate.

23 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Society is almost finished as we know it. Everything has been politicised and weaponised. Its a far cry from the communities I grew up in where everyone would pull together for each other regardless.

A crying shame for my children to endure.

Yeah, because the 70s and 80s were such accepting times, with all creeds and leanings accepted with open arms. 

There are cunts about. Always have been and always will be.

• Upvote 2