You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Euro 2020(21)

Bjornebye

6 minutes ago, stringvest said:

Fucking hell.  There’s being one eyed about everyone else but your own team, and then there’s being just moronically wrong.  Well in. 

He can't pass the ball and has no creativity whatsoever.  Depends whether you like a midfielder to be able to offer something on the ball, or just tackle and head it away I suppose.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Disagree here man - the only reason they looked ok was because of his tactics.

I'm with you, Howie...

I thought Southgate extracted the best he could from what he's got.  Some of these players are just shithouses or at best soft.  Sterling leads that pack for me.

And we can talk all we like about England never beating anyone and being lucky in the draw in every tournament, but the fact is.. they have now successively made a semi and the final in the World's two biggest tournaments.  Southgate might be a bellend or not, or whatever, but he must get some credit for that.

There is no reason to suggest they won't be there or thereabouts in Qatar. 

Italy for me, at the moment and in this tournament, are a clearly better team than England though.

And one last thing that won't be popular, apart from one boob that almost cost a goal admittedly, I thought Pickford was (at last) pretty world-class tonight and didn't deserve to lose.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

He can't pass the ball and has no creativity whatsoever.  Depends whether you like a midfielder to be able to offer something on the ball, or just tackle and head it away I suppose.

He's a straight line footballer, he looks good when he's been aggressive high up the pitch but when he's asked to be an actual midfielder he can't do it. In simple terms a midfielder has to get the ball from defence and progress it to the attackers, he doesn't do either. He plays it straight back where it came from if he's even made himself available to relieved it in the first place. He could potentially make a good CB.

26 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Yeah agreed.  Shit might be pushing it, but he can barely control the ball and can't pass it more than 10 yards.  Phillips isn't much better either.  I suppose neither of them were really helped by Southgate's tactics.

Mount was also shit.

I thought the whole midfield was shit, lame, no passing interchanges, no control, no guile. The forwards were not much better although the back five were solid and the full backs were the best of England's players,although helped by England's two defensive midfielders just sitting back. Southgate is just so negative, if Grealish and Sterling were not going to take a pen both Rashford and Sancho should have replaced then half time into extra time. The best side won that match.

1 hour ago, Creator Supreme said:

Absolutely, good player too, hope he's able to shrug it off!

He's 19.  A talented footballer on money that he has enough of to give 70% away every week and save lots and lots and lots and lots of lives.

He'll be fine, I'd say.

He'll bounce back, the poor lad.

31 minutes ago, Red_or_Dead said:

What a fucking surprise.  It's shit like this is why can't support ANY England team.  What a fucking state this country is in.  Did that shithead Johnson turn up for this one?

Didn't realise only people from England could post on Instagram. Mind blown.

15 minutes ago, s(k)aturation said:

I'm with you, Howie...

I thought Southgate extracted the best he could from what he's got.  Some of these players are just shithouses or at best soft.  Sterling leads that pack for me.

And we can talk all we like about England never beating anyone and being lucky in the draw in every tournament, but the fact is.. they have now successively made a semi and the final in the World's two biggest tournaments.  Southgate might be a bellend or not, or whatever, but he must get some credit for that.

There is no reason to suggest they won't be there or thereabouts in Qatar. 

Italy for me, at the moment and in this tournament, are a clearly better team than England though.

And one last thing that won't be popular, apart from one boob that almost cost a goal admittedly, I thought Pickford was (at last) pretty world-class tonight and didn't deserve to lose.

Have to agree that for all the moaning about Southgate's boring football, he has bored his way to the latter stages of two tournaments out of two, so maybe it works?

BTW, it turns out that I know Lucy Zelic's cousin, and had a few pre-match beverages with her (the cousin) yesterday.  

2 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Have to agree that for all the moaning about Southgate's boring football, he has bored his way to the latter stages of two tournaments out of two, so maybe it works?

BTW, it turns out that I know Lucy Zelic's cousin, and had a few pre-match beverages with her (the cousin) yesterday.  

She's a spunk and a great chick.  We Croats have her as a bit of a "national" treasure.

5 minutes ago, s(k)aturation said:

She's a spunk and a great chick.  We Croats have her as a bit of a "national" treasure.

You would have enjoyed the conversation of the old Melbourne Croatia Football Club (Melbourne Knights these days).  I was a bit lost being a recent anglo immigrant.

Clueless manager, he has a nineteen year old take a pen under such immense pressure! You could read from the boy's face how overwhelmed he was. And another rookie in Sancho! What is Henderson for then if not for the experience? England stumbled into the final and shown that they're not ready yet. 

1 hour ago, stringvest said:

I thought both him and Rice were fantastic throughout the tournament.  Real credit to them both 

Defensively good sitting in front of the back 4/5 but very rarely passed forward,  passed quickly or got the ball on the half turn. 

Phillips usually does with Leeds so its either tactics or the step up. Rice is a CB playing centre of midfield and is a better Eric Dier. For England to improve they need a midfielder that can control the ball.