You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Euro 2020(21)

Bjornebye

Peroni trending on Twitter. Loads of posts threatening to twat anyone seen drinking it today. This is the problem I have with elements of the England support. It's lovely seeing kids with George cross face paints or diverse housing estates decked out in flags - it's just ruined by these cunts. For some, simply supporting England isn't enough. Its also regurgitating the same old xenophobic shite depending on who they play (my WhatsApp is still full of Hitler memes from when we played Germany). I was fully behind England in Euro 96 because it was an overwhelmingly positive experience. Certainly post Brexit, this new nationalism has some sinister undercurrents that I can't get on board with. That's before how I feel about the attitude of many towards scousers. I'm not arsed if England win or lose. I'll be happy for the players if England manage to do it, especially Hendo, as alot of them seem sound. It'll also lift the mood of the nation, which can only be a good thing. Unfortunately, I also expect reports of restaurants having their windows put through if England lose.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, belarus said:

So you don’t stand arm in arm

with any evertonians on anything then?

Anyway, I’m not arsed - each to their own. I understand the viewpoint, but I don’t share it anymore. I hate and stand against all the things you mention, but it’s fuck all to do with the English football team for me. I can hate Boris Johnson with a passion, feel forever angered about the despicable Hillsborough cover ups, and feel total contempt for dead headed and outdated chants about Liverpool slums and signing on, while still following the England team at a tournament. You think the Italians haven’t got the same skid marks within their national and recent history? I won’t feel guilty for not hating everything English. It isn’t shameful to be English. 

I obviously live away these days, but the buzz around when I’ve been out and about this morning is brilliant. Everyone letting each other out at junctions and in Aldi car park, cars playing that 3 lions. It’s lifted the mood big time. I’m going to get involved too - few scoops in the local with the neighbours this avvy, the. round to the in-laws to watch the game later. 

Well said. I used to work with a rabid united fan. He was sound. Maybe he sang 'sign on' at games, dunno.

I cant stand one of my fucking neighbours and their grown kids. Im not about to sell up and move because of some nobs.

I really dont know how some people get up every morning if all they concentrate on is living off the bile off others. Fucking weird if you ask me but hey ho.

7 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

Is there a rule that you have to wear an away strip ? As far as I know you dont, especially as no clash of colours.

There isn’t. They are chatting pure bile, as per. 

Italy chose blue. England in white. Big deal. Would anybody expect anything different?

8 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

Is there a rule that you have to wear an away strip ? As far as I know you dont, especially as no clash of colours.

Whoever wrote that article doesnt have a clue about football. So long as there's no colour clash with kit, each team plays in its 'home' or more correctly, first choice colours.

2 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Do you think in the run up to the 1966 final, English people spent the days saying how much they hated this country and most of their fellow population ? 

We are having a bbq, the kids are making banners and painting their faces and we are going to love every minute (until we lose). For anyone over 50, it’s probably the only final England will ever be in in our lifetime, enjoy it for fuck sake. 

DDBB35F4-92A6-4E75-9870-0608B61566D3.jpeg

Sounds like a great family enjoyment day and what families should be about.

Hope you all have a great day fella.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Peroni trending on Twitter. Loads of posts threatening to twat anyone seen drinking it today. This is the problem I have with elements of the England support. It's lovely seeing kids with George cross face paints or diverse housing estates decked out in flags - it's just ruined by these cunts. For some, simply supporting England isn't enough. Its also regurgitating the same old xenophobic shite depending on who they play (my WhatsApp is still full of Hitler memes from when we played Germany). I was fully behind England in Euro 96 because it was an overwhelmingly positive experience. Certainly post Brexit, this new nationalism has some sinister undercurrents that I can't get on board with. That's before how I feel about the attitude of many towards scousers. I'm not arsed if England win or lose. I'll be happy for the players if England manage to do it, especially Hendo, as alot of them seem sound. It'll also lift the mood of the nation, which can only be a good thing. Unfortunately, I also expect reports of restaurants having their windows put through if England lose.

My sentiments entirely. Loved Euro 96 but this time I am genuinely torn about who I want to win to the point where I was going to swerve the thing tonight but I will watch it and see how it goes and hope the best side wins. If thats England without booing the Italian anthem and without the aid of a laser display then fair fucks.   

48 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Just to be clear, you’re hoping we get beat in probably the only final you will ever see the national team in becuase of Government regional economic policies from 40 years ago and some nasty away fans used to make fun of Liverpool and wrote letters to the papers. For fucks sake, you only get one life, maybe try to get over yourself and actually enjoy the brief period of being on the planet. 

Why should you have to enjoy it?

I've never had any affinity to England,I've never seen them play,I feel no attachment to them,so whu should I care if they win or lose?

This is in fact another thing that puts you off them,thst you somehow 'have ' to support them ,simply because you live on the sane rock as them

I cant help thinking that the all clubs have kmobeads following them argument is a bit like saying all politicians are cunts after the latest tory sleaze. 

Obviously not all England fans are cunts but a sizeable minority have acted like total twats for over 40 years.

5 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

This is in fact another thing that puts you off them,thst you somehow 'have ' to support them ,simply because you live on the sane rock as them

But it's ok for French, German, Italians etc to support their country simply because they live on the same bit of rock? Honestly what a crock.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, belarus said:

So you don’t stand arm in arm with any evertonians on anything then?

Anyway, I’m not arsed - each to their own. I understand the viewpoint, but I don’t share it anymore. I hate and stand against all the things you mention, but it’s fuck all to do with the English football team for me. I can hate Boris Johnson with a passion, feel forever angered about the despicable Hillsborough cover ups, and feel total contempt for dead headed and outdated chants about Liverpool slums and signing on, while still following the England team at a tournament. You think the Italians haven’t got the same skid marks within their national and recent history? I won’t feel guilty for not hating everything English. It isn’t shameful to be English. 

I obviously live away these days, but the buzz around when I’ve been out and about this morning is brilliant. Everyone letting each other out at junctions and in Aldi car park, cars playing that 3 lions. It’s lifted the mood big time. I’m going to get involved too - few scoops in the local with the neighbours this avvy, then round to the in-laws to watch the game later. 

Stand with Evertonians? Not on football issues no....some social issues of course, because they are mostly cut from same cloth as us - most of the rest of this country are not.....but this is for meabout how the social/politcal and frankly culture issues breed into what wish for football.

On top of all the things i have previously mentioned about other clubs fans songs to us, all the politocal and societal stuff etc (i am sure you are aware of it) to me Ingerlund fan culture is the exact polar opposite of LFC fan culture....from all the 'No Surrender' 'On tour' 'For club and country' '3 Lions' shite they display on their George Crosses even when watching their clubs, to their shite generic 'please don't take me home' 'sweet caroline' blah blah blah songs to their 'German bomber' songs etc....

The pundits who are desperate for them to win, cheering on Harry Kane's dives then no doubt next season sitting on Match of The Day calling Mo Salah a cheat and a disgrace for going down....

The national papers and their xenophobic, jingoistic shite....

But to each their own....enjoy your day/evening.

As i haven't all tournament i won't be watching tonight, but i'll be hoping Italy win and i make absolutely no apology for that.

• Upvote 4

Fuck the haters. I'm Welsh by birth so was disappointed they didn't go further but I now genuinely hope England win it. The feelgood factor for the country is a massive boost after the last 18 months of shite.

I won't be singing or cheering any of them on with the exception of Hendo if he scores and / or gets to lift the trophy. But I'll be watching avidly and hoping they win. There's plenty of time to go back to hating other clubs and their players and all the horrendous shit that surrounds the game in a few week's time.

Some of you need to chill the fuck out and just try and enjoy something good happening in the country. 

• Upvote 6

Personally I'm not arsed about England for many of the reasons posted but I do get that some people are and have absolutely no issue with that. What I don't understand is why people on both sides of the fence feel the need to tell others what they should or shouldn't be doing. It's not going to change anyone's mind in the same way as me telling a bloo to support Liverpool wouldn't.

England fans can concentrate on enjoying the night and non-England can hope for an England defeat or luxuriate in not being arsed and watching purely for the football. Believe me, nobody is going to change sides now.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, an tha said:

Stand with Evertonians? Not on football issues no....some social issues of course, because they are mostly cut from same cloth as us - most of the rest of this country are not.....but this is for meabout how the social/politcal and frankly culture issues breed into what wish for football.

On top of all the things i have previously mentioned about other clubs fans songs to us, all the politocal and societal stuff etc (i am sure you are aware of it) to me Ingerlund fan culture is the exact polar opposite of LFC fan culture....from all the 'No Surrender' 'On tour' 'For club and country' '3 Lions' shite they display on their George Crosses even when watching their clubs, to their shite generic 'please don't take me home' 'sweet caroline' blah blah blah songs to their 'German bomber' songs etc....

The pundits who are desperate for them to win, cheering on Harry Kane's dives then no doubt next season sitting on Match of The Day calling Mo Salah a cheat and a disgrace for going down....

The national papers and their xenophobic, jingoistic shite....

But to each their own....enjoy your day/evening.

As i haven't all tournament i won't be watching tonight, but i'll be hoping Italy win and i make absolutely no apology for that.

I agree with most of that, but is England fans singing “Sweet Caroline” any different to us adopting “Ring of Fire” in the 00s?

35 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Anyway I’ve really enjoyed this tournament . 

It's been good, hasn't it? Wales and Scotland being there helped lift the mood, some cracking goals, upsets and a generally decent standard of officiating. Hearing proper crowds again has been a tonic for the soul too. Good stuff all round.

• Upvote 2

Leaving bias to one side, I think the standard of football in this tournament has been really poor. All of the so called "big nations" (with the possible exception of Italy) have been bang average at best, and that includes England imo.

International football really is at a low ebb and given the circumstances, this tournament should never have gone ahead.

JMHO.

2 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Leaving bias to one side, I think the standard of football in this tournament has been really poor. All of the so called "big nations" (with the possible exception of Italy) have been bang average at best, and that includes England imo.

International football really is at a low ebb and given the circumstances, this tournament should never have gone ahead.

JMHO.

Thought the Italy Belgium and Italy Spain games were both boss.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

I cant help thinking that the all clubs have kmobeads following them argument is a bit like saying all politicians are cunts after the latest tory sleaze. 

Obviously not all England fans are cunts but a sizeable minority have acted like total twats for over 40 years.

I got into a conversation with a friend on mine who is a Palace fan. I mentioned I want Italy to win and I got that typical Southerner speech and also the "So a few fans who act like idiots makes you hate England?"

My response was. 

No being told the sun was right, being called a Murderer and we killed our own ect is the reason why I hate them.

He just looked at me a didn't say a word. 

Plus the fact there's a new video going around of England fans singing we hate Scousers. 

Fucking EDL loving, Sun reading wools. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Yeah I agree, maybe I'm a bit biased but I used to live just across the river from the millennium stadium and I've ambled around the ground and mixed with a lot of other national sides fans when they were playing Wales and the majority went out of their way to mix around the restaurants and bars, take in a bit of the city centre and enjoy the day but theirs a special kind of cuntyness surrounding a lot England fans. 

For me, it's been one of the best tournaments in years. Plenty of good games.

England away following was largely troublesome up to a few years ago. They have cleared up their act a lot to be fair but English people abroad off their head on cheap beer and a rule britannia mindset of foreigners is a recipe for trouble. The worst thing about them is they pick the easiest targets. They wouldn't take on the Russians or sing no surrender in a tram full of Irish navvies. There are plenty of knobheads following us but the Scouser mindset is different, because as a city, we are different. We weren't raised on believing we were superior to others, we were raised on seeking shelter in a city from famine, slavery, war and poverty. 

I like Southgate a lot and it's hard to cheer against Hendo. I actually think some of the team seem like good lads. I don't mind Kane at all. He seems like a decent bloke off the pitch and he's a world class player. Rashford is a lovely lad.

I won't be cheering for them, but not against. It's a bit like watching Juventus vs Bayern Munich in a Champions League final. I just want a few good goals tonight without any emotional attachment. The tournament deserves a good ending as it's been a good month of football imo.

1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

JMHO.

There's been loads of good games. You probably just don't like international football if you think that.