You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Euro 2020(21)

Bjornebye

6 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Sweet baby jesus. Organisation! The plans were made when the UK was ahead of the vaccine game, Europe lagging and UEFA concerned about empty stadiums. UEFA didnt want showpiece games ie the semis and final played in front a handful of fans. As some countries started to administer more vaccinations amongst their population, they felt more confident at allowing fans into stadiums.

That takes advance planning. Planning for big events cannot change overnight. Some countries didnt give a fuck about vaccinations like Russia and Hungary so played games in near full stadiums. Most sensible countries took a cautious approach.

Once again, facts not supposition and wild nonesensical conspiracies.

So why didn't they just move the whole tournament to the UK then? The whole fucking point of a World Cup or the Euros is to have one host nation (with the outlier of Belgium/Netherlands one time) so theres only really one team getting the advantage. 

In this tournament several teams had good advantages off the bat and some teams more than most.

Theres a fucking fact for ya.

3 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

What point are you trying to make, is it that UEFA should have made England play more games away from Wembley ?

Most of these people said England would be knocked out before the semis anyway. They're just pissed they have been proven wrong. Yes, England will play another 2 games at Wembley meaning little travel. Same would have happened if Germany, Italy or another nation had hosted the semis and final had they got there.

Other European nations arent hosting them because their vaccination programmes lagged far behind the UK  leading the Government to volunteer Wembley as UEFA didnt want show piece games played in front of a handful of fans etc.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Most of these people said England would be knocked out before the semis anyway. They're just pissed they have been proven wrong. Yes, England will play another 2 games at Wembley meaning little travel. Same would have happened if Germany, Italy or another nation had hosted the semis and final had they got there.

Other European nations arent hosting them because their vaccination programmes lagged far behind the UK  leading the Government to volunteer Wembley as UEFA didnt want show piece games played in front of a handful of fans etc.

No cmon lets deal with facts Dockers. You said its because of covid and vaccinations but that doesn't make sense because games where organised into other countries anyway.

So ill ask again, why didn't they just pick one of the countries that were used to play games in them for the whole tournament? Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Uk etc?

Its got fuck all to do with Englands success. If the whole thing was held in England there wouldn't be a complaint. But you can't tell me that Croatia, Czechs, Denmark didn't have a disadvantage whilst playing England because they clearly did.

1 minute ago, BeefStroganoff said:

So why didn't they just move the whole tournament to the UK then?

Because UEFAs original plans as organised was for this competition to be played around Europe and one country not hosting it.

Covid impacted those plans. UEFA clearly wanted fans present hence postponing it to this year in the hope the pandemic had passed. That it hadnt meant there was a chance of the competition being cancelled again. With the advent of the vaccine, that gave hope fans could attend.

The UK gota head start and didnt piss about like France, Germany, Holland and other European countries did administering the vaccine. As other countries started administering the vaccine, for whatever reason, UEFA decided to push on with reduced crowds at many venues.

The UK Government volunteered Wembley as the venue for the semis and final because of the high vaccination rate here.

You'd have to ask UEFA why they didnt rip up their plans and host the tournament in one country instead. Maybe no country fancied having all the games staged in their country and allowing thousands of fans from all those countries to come in?

27 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I’ve seen (as I’m sure many have) pubs erupt into stools and pints getting thrown at each other by the same people who were arm in arm mere hours previously. 

Good luck to them, seeing Henderson’s face after scoring the other night was ace. I can’t see them beating Italy but good on them they’ve done well. The Sterling pen wasn’t a penalty out the Kane one that wasn’t given looked like a pen that should have been. 

Yea, just have visions of "ya scouse cunt"

I just can't get passionate about them.

Want it for Hendo and nothing more.

Just now, dockers_strike said:

Because UEFAs original plans as organised was for this competition to be played around Europe and one country not hosting it.

Covid impacted those plans. UEFA clearly wanted fans present hence postponing it to this year in the hope the pandemic had passed. That it hadnt meant there was a chance of the competition being cancelled again. With the advent of the vaccine, that gave hope fans could attend.

The UK gota head start and didnt piss about like France, Germany, Holland and other European countries did administering the vaccine. As other countries started administering the vaccine, for whatever reason, UEFA decided to push on with reduced crowds at many venues.

The UK Government volunteered Wembley as the venue for the semis and final because of the high vaccination rate here.

You'd have to ask UEFA why they didnt rip up their plans and host the tournament in one country instead. Maybe no country fancied having all the games staged in their country and allowing thousands of fans from all those countries to come in?

So its a clusterfuck then isn't it because it became lob sided and not their original vision. It was half a plan.

Just now, BeefStroganoff said:

So its a clusterfuck then isn't it because it became lob sided and not their original vision. It was half a plan.

They could have cancelled it again I guess. Then you wouldnt have this to bitch about and could just spend your time complaining FSG havent spent any transfer money. Apart from what they spent on Konate, that is.

• Upvote 1

When I told my Mrs last night that I wouldn’t be arsed if England were beaten she called me a miserable sod. I think I’ll direct her to this thread so she can see real miserable sods in action. England deserved to win. Soft penalty, they happen and there was contact, and yes I’d be unhappy if it was given against Liverpool. I’d also accept it if it was given for us. The squad, other than Kane and Sterling, both of whom played well, seem like good lads in the main, ignoring the usual jingoistic shit of the  England fans - the thing that puts me off, patriotism is baffling to me. Not arsed who wins the final.

31 minutes ago, bossy said:

When I told my Mrs last night that I wouldn’t be arsed if England were beaten she called me a miserable sod. I think I’ll direct her to this thread so she can see real miserable sods in action. England deserved to win. Soft penalty, they happen and there was contact, and yes I’d be unhappy if it was given against Liverpool. I’d also accept it if it was given for us. The squad, other than Kane and Sterling, both of whom played well, seem like good lads in the main, ignoring the usual jingoistic shit of the  England fans - the thing that puts me off, patriotism is baffling to me. Not arsed who wins the final.

I don’t really understand why people dislike Harry Kane. He has an odd voice, shit hair and a pisspoor beard but seems ok to me. My wife thinks I’m a miserable sod, too. I had a two-hour-long bath coinciding with the first half of the match and part of the second.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Absolutely they should. Look at the schedule Wales and Swiss had for example. How beneficial was it for Croatia and the czechs to have to play all of their games in the UK when the tournament wasn't hosted in the UK?

Then you got the Danes and the Czechs travelling out to Baku which isn't even in Europe technically for their QF.

The whole thing was a clusterfuck of organisation.

Read DS's post. That was the original plan but covid fucked it up and also prevented games being played in certain countries. Ireland for example was a venue but would not or could not commit to games with crowds. Before the tournament England , apoarently, were shite and going to get battered by whichever half decent team they met. I get it that you are gutted that they are in the final but just let it go its only international footy.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

He's getting the winner on Sunday. 

And we'll announce a straight swap for Karius. 

Has Jairzinho just dropped a huge hint that Chiesa’s teammates have told the enigma ‘please CARRY US to this Euro title’? 

4 hours ago, sir roger said:

I am pleased England got to the final. I feel we are massively lucky to have a fantastic club like LFC to follow and don't begrudge supporters who are the lifeblood of lower league teams the chance to engage with elite level football. Sure there are dickheads following England , but then there are dickheads everywhere.

Wise words, Roger. Out of +ve but will be back when re loaded!

I cant stand the nobheads amongst England fans but cant stand the nobheads amongst our support either. Neither do we get to see or hear of the nobheads in other countries support.

• Upvote 1

Dunno what it's like in other parts of the country but liverpool doesnt seemed to be going England mad.. seen a cars with those little flags and 1 house with an england flag but thats about it.

Seen loads of houses /streets decked out everywhere in other parts of the country.

10 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Wise words, Roger. Out of +ve but will be back when re loaded!

I cant stand the nobheads amongst England fans but cant stand the nobheads amongst our support either. Neither do we get to see or hear of the nobheads in other countries support.

I can’t recall any other fans booing other sides national anthem or teams taking the knee. I might just not have noticed but I’m fairly confident it just hasn’t happened with any other fans. 

11 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I can’t recall any other fans booing other sides national anthem or teams taking the knee. I might just not have noticed but I’m fairly confident it just hasn’t happened with any other fans. 

Yes, there's no excusing it. All the booing of national anthems started with scottish fans booing god save the queen when they played England and before they adopted Flower of Scotland (which is a good anthem, I have to say). Sadly, the nobheads at Wembley took up the challenge. It's an utter disgrace and stain on decent fans.

But, you're falling into the evertonian trap of condemning a whole fanbase because of it.

I have heard it from oppo fans especially some East European countries so Im afraid yes, it does go on.

44 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I don’t really understand why people dislike Harry Kane. He has an odd voice, shit hair and a pisspoor beard but seems ok to me. My wife thinks I’m a miserable sod, too. I had a two-hour-long bath coinciding with the first half of the match and part of the second.

Off the top of my head

The "i don't miss twice" comment (or words to that effect) in our game.

I swear on my kids life I got a touch, it's my goal. He didn't.

Dangerous play, purposely backing into players and not jumping with them to get a free kick,  causing other player to fall from height and risk injury.

13 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Yes, there's no excusing it. All the booing of national anthems started with scottish fans booing god save the queen when they played England and before they adopted Flower of Scotland (which is a good anthem, I have to say). Sadly, the nobheads at Wembley took up the challenge. It's an utter disgrace and stain on decent fans.

But, you're falling into the evertonian trap of condemning a whole fanbase because of it.

I have heard it from oppo fans especially some East European countries so Im afraid yes, it does go on.

Woah where have a labelled every England fan with anything ? I mean you’ve literally just blamed Scotland for England fans booing national anthems. I’ve seen them do it in friendlies against the likes of San Marino yet alone Scotland or France. The booing of the knee? Again not all but a fair percentage have been doing it. UEFA have charged England with 3 separate things today because of the behaviour of a section of the support. Are any fans of any other nation getting charged for anything? 

Ive said previously it’s not all England supporters , of course it isn’t but just because some are decent it doesn’t mean people can’t be disgusted with those who are idiots 

1 hour ago, BeefStroganoff said:

No cmon lets deal with facts Dockers. You said its because of covid and vaccinations but that doesn't make sense because games where organised into other countries anyway.

So ill ask again, why didn't they just pick one of the countries that were used to play games in them for the whole tournament? Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Uk etc?

Its got fuck all to do with Englands success. If the whole thing was held in England there wouldn't be a complaint. But you can't tell me that Croatia, Czechs, Denmark didn't have a disadvantage whilst playing England because they clearly did.

This might help

Below were the initial 13 venues selected by UEFA. However, the UEFA Executive Committee removed Brussels as a host city on 7 December 2017 due to delays with the building of the Eurostadium. The four matches (three group stage, one round of 16) initially scheduled to be held in Brussels will now be allocated to London. Therefore, will now host a total of seven matches, as London was already chosen to host the semi-finals and final of the tournament.[75] On 23 April 2021, UEFA announced that due to a lack of guarantees regarding spectators caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, Dublin was removed as a tournament host (with their matches reallocated to Saint Petersburg for the group stage and London for the round of 16). Similarly, UEFA reassigned the four matches in Spain elsewhere in the country, with La Cartuja in Seville replacing Bilbao.[76]

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Nah definitely have been other fan booing national anthems and also the taking of the knee lets also not forget monkey noises in Eastern Europe and Italy. There's knobheads everywhere.