You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Euro 2020(21)

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Aventus said:

It's carried over to a lot of other sports now, boxing being the other main one. Seems to be the closest thing to a proper anthem for England fans to sing together. Can't exactly belt out you'll never walk alone in unison can they

Thank fuck.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, skend04 said:

I can't wait to hear how Lee Dixon doesn't care as the Italians shithouse their way through the final on Sunday. 

Jesus, the level of punditry just gets worse the further the competition progresses. How Matterface even got in sniffing distance of Natalie's farts I'll never know.

Mmm how I love the smell of Natalie’s farts in the morning 

1 minute ago, Aventus said:

It's carried over to a lot of other sports now, boxing being the other main one. Seems to be the closest thing to a proper anthem for England fans to sing together. Can't exactly belt out you'll never walk alone in unison can they

Neil Diamond is boss.

• Upvote 2

Just seen score.

Sickening.

I saw this coming and said it on here earlier in season that this miserable, shite twat of a season would get topped off by those Ingerlund twats winning the euros shite and here we are one game away from it being grim reality.

Urrrrrrrrgggh.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Thought it was a pen myself. I thought people were ok with Italian levels of shithouse cuntery if he dived? Looked to me like Schmiechel was off his line before the ball was struck so would have been a retake if Kane hadnt followed up?

The level of bitterness and conspiracy theory is sad. In some ways it reminds me of that courtroom scene in the film 12 Angry Men. One of the jurors holds out against the other 11 and says the young lad accused of murderis guilty. His hidden reasoning? His own son doesnt return his love, attention and respect so he loads his antagonism and frustration onto the accused.

It is what it is I guess. Think Italy will win 2-0 on tonight's performance.

It was a dive mate. In fairness to Raheem I think he expected the contact and went down accordingly but it's fairly evident from one angle in particular that there was no contact. They showed it on Irish TV here

VAR went all PGMOL for that penalty. Not a clear and obvious error my arse.

As for the actual match, Denmark did pretty well until they took off Damsgaard and Dolberg. Not that those two were tearing England to shreds or anything, but they enabled the Danes to play in the England half and sometimes help pin England back. Once they changed things, the lack of ability to keep the ball combined with players who were clearly knackered meant the Danes couldn't do anything but sit and hope not to concede. Even the impressive Maehle was unable to make a telling contribution down their left. They've played more minutes in this tournament and racked up more air miles than England, and that plus the emotional weight after Eriksen's scare eventually took its toll.

England didn't play well, but there was a turning of the screw for the last 15 minutes of normal time, and basically all of extra time. Also, the game management for the last 10 minutes was actually very good. They carried the ball into the corners, they slowed play down and they kept the ball. Very unusual for an England side to do that.

Whatever happens on Sunday, Southgate is actually showing himself to be adept at handling the rigours of tournament football. They've been lucky to largely avoid the better sides during these tournament runs, but progressing through the rounds still has to be done no matter who you are up against. Southgate's team have made the semis of the last World Cup plus that Nations League abomination, and now his team has made the final of a major tournament for the first time since 1966. He's even managed to win a trophy at England youth level, and these facts alone probably make him England's best manager since Alf Ramsey. He might not be amongst the best of the managers England have ever had, but better managers have done considerably less with stronger squads.

Weirdly, both possible outcomes in Sunday's final carry an air of inevitability about them.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Not sure Italy will be able to compete with this level of gamesmanship on Sunday. 

It was sickening. Hopefully Mancini brings up the antics of Sterling and Kane in his press conference, puts pressure on the referee to stamp it out. We want to see a football match, not another theatrical performance.

• Upvote 2

Italy looked way, way beyond England's level in their last game, really can't see England standing a chance. So I'll put two more bets on Italy for the final (over and under 2.5 goals) and either finally get some cash back or jinx Italy with my bad betting luck for the England win.

3 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

It was a dive mate. In fairness to Raheem I think he expected the contact and went down accordingly but it's fairly evident from one angle in particular that there was no contact. They showed it on Irish TV here

Dixon had to try and claim it might have been for contact that came when Sterling was parallel to the grass and about ten inches from hitting the deck.

He finally muttered neither should have been pens when Hendo dived.

• Upvote 1

England deserved to win in the end the Danes just ran out of steam and were playing for pens before the end of 90 minutes but the penalty was an utter disgrace. Could you imagine the utter bile and vilification that would have come Mane or Salah’s way if they’d have gone down to get that ? 

4 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Italy looked way, way beyond England's level in their last game, really can't see England standing a chance. So I'll put two more bets on Italy for the final (over and under 2.5 goals) and either finally get some cash back or jinx Italy with my bad betting luck for the England win.

Not against Spain they didn't   The games before Spain they certainly did though.

3 minutes ago, J-V said:

Not against Spain they didn't   The games before Spain they certainly did though.

I thought they looked great the way they defended and especially on the break but yeah I'd not seen their previous games so can't comment on that. On the break though if Italy are as fast as they were against Spain, England are going to have a tough time I think. Maybe Southgate will park the bus though to some extent and that'll give England more of a chance.

England are shit. Always have been, always will be. Italy will see them off comfortably on Sunday and panic over. Whenever they have faced a top class side in a tournament knock out round,  they fail. Sunday will be the first time….Denmark are like Palace, a decent Prem team who are hard to beat but who are ultimately  toothless.