You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Euro 2020(21)

Bjornebye

25 minutes ago, Juniper said:

I still think England are absolutely shit.

Four goals in four matches is hardly a team that’s built momentum. They didn’t even play great yesterday.

No, they weren't great, nevertheless here they are in the quarter finals having conceded no goals in four matches. It has me wondering whether Gareth Southgate is a cannier manager than I give him credit for. The thing about tournament football is that endurance is as much a factor as anything else, and England have been doing just enough. I am sure the way in which England ran out of steam in 2018 will be at the forefront of everyone's thinking, and it's entirely possible they are pacing themselves much better here.

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

Think the difference in nationalistic pride is that England and Britain has a lot to be proud of, for example engineering and inventions from the past as well as some lovely areas of the country.

You have to ignore a lot - I mean A LOT! - of the other stuff from English & British history to take pride in that heritage.

8 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

No, they weren't great, nevertheless here they are in the quarter finals having conceded no goals in four matches. It has me wondering whether Gareth Southgate is a cannier manager than I give him credit for. The thing about tournament football is that endurance is as much a factor as anything else, and England have been doing just enough. I am sure the way in which England ran out of steam in 2018 will be at the forefront of everyone's thinking, and it's entirely possible they are pacing themselves much better here.

It will be interesting to see what Ukraine are like after last night. I'm guessing they'll be physically fucked, but mentally stronger. 

52 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I'm not a fan of nationalism, full stop. If your supposed love for your country makes you boo anti-racist gestures or call crying children slags, then there's something not quite right with it.

Mate, nobody is claiming that as a celebratory point. That’s an example of cunts acting like cunts, under whatever guise they act in constantly I would imagine.

Such a weird comment to make to be fair - there is nobody condoning those actions on here, or suggesting that they would do this in the spirit of national pride, or even that it is an indicator of being proud or supportive of your country. The discussion is around the fact that it’s seen as racist to support your national team. It’s like distancing yourself from something, which you actually are, to avoid being labelled, but it’s you doing the labelling and pointing the finger at people who are and aren’t guilty of the things you say. I’d say the vast majority of England fans who don’t call young girls nazi slags or whatever. It’s pretty similar to Evertonians actually - actively distance themselves from us, when the majority of fans in and around the city are cut from the same cloth, with some dick heads and some sound people. 

46 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

You have to ignore a lot - I mean A LOT! - of the other stuff from English & British history to take pride in that heritage.

Yes its a good point but there is a significant amount of skeletons - and I mean a significant amount- in almost every country on the planet's cupboard. Looking at it from a distance I find it really puzzling to see the self loathing that some English people have for their country. Yet in spite of this refugees will travel right across wonderful European countries and risk death to get into that terrible place.

3 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

A disgrace. Sadly, the cunts posting stuff like this post other vile stuff on social media. We were stoned by Roma fans exiting the Stadio Olimpico in 1984 and the coaches trashed the night before, threaten by a gang of German skinheads when walking from the Westfallon back to Dortmund in 2001. Should I hold them as representative of Italian and German fans? No, because I knew they were not.

That was terrifying that night. I genuinely thought I wasn't getting home alive.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CapeRed said:

Yes its a good point but there is a significant amount of skeletons - and I mean a significant amount- in almost every country on the planet's cupboard. Looking at it from a distance I find it really puzzling to see the self loathing that some English people have for their country. Yet in spite of this refugees will travel right across wonderful European countries and risk death to get into that terrible place.

Refugees who choose to come to the UK tend to do so for reasons of language, family links or some other reason unrelated to any value judgements about other countries.  The bottom line is that countries tend not to be inherently better or worse than each other  - to one degree or other, you'll find that people are generally decent and governments are generally arseholes  - and the accident of being born in one country or another is a source of neither pride nor shame.

I can’t get especially excited about England, but I don’t begrudge the success. Looking at their fixtures so far, it’s hard to argue against them having the best record in the tournament to this point. Yes, they play no-frills football, but they’ve beaten three decent teams without much fuss at all.

1 hour ago, belarus said:

Mate, nobody is claiming that as a celebratory point. That’s an example of cunts acting like cunts, under whatever guise they act in constantly I would imagine.

Such a weird comment to make to be fair - there is nobody condoning those actions on here, or suggesting that they would do this in the spirit of national pride, or even that it is an indicator of being proud or supportive of your country. The discussion is around the fact that it’s seen as racist to support your national team. It’s like distancing yourself from something, which you actually are, to avoid being labelled, but it’s you doing the labelling and pointing the finger at people who are and aren’t guilty of the things you say. I’d say the vast majority of England fans who don’t call young girls nazi slags or whatever. It’s pretty similar to Evertonians actually - actively distance themselves from us, when the majority of fans in and around the city are cut from the same cloth, with some dick heads and some sound people. 

I'm not in any way suggesting anyone here condones cuntishness. I'm saying that the England fans who acted in that cuntish way need to sort their fucking heads out.

(FWIW I don't think that cuntishness is exclusively English, but I don't speak Polish or Swedish or whatever, so I've not seen any comparable examples. )

32 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I can’t get especially excited about England, but I don’t begrudge the success. Looking at their fixtures so far, it’s hard to argue against them having the best record in the tournament to this point. Yes, they play no-frills football, but they’ve beaten three decent teams without much fuss at all.

I support Hendo FC not England FC

• Upvote 1

I don't want England to win it as I don't like most of the players in the squad, the manager is a twat, and a lot of the fans are flag shagging gammons, but if they win it they win it, fuck all I can do about it!

I might unplug the telly and the internet for a while afterwards like!

I still think that the winner of the Belgium Italy game are favourites.

4 hours ago, belarus said:

So there’s nothing to celebrate or be proud of if you want to be that way apart from what you’ve listed? Can’t say I’ve ever seen those things being celebrated to be honest. What country hasn’t done those things or has a guilty history in some way?

You've never heard sectarian chants at England games? You've never heard them sing stuff like "I'd rather be a Paki than a Turk"? You've never seen England fans booing a protest against racism?

Plenty of good stuff has come out of England over the years and plenty of other countries have done terrible things too, not arguing against that at all. I don't support other countries either. But it does feel like this country has never faced up to its past. You could very well argue that Germany hasn't done anywhere near enough over the years to atone for the atrocities of the Nazi regime, but at least they did SOMETHING, and their fans aren't singing songs about their famous war victories either.

Just now, joe_fishfish said:

You've never heard sectarian chants at England games? You've never heard them sing stuff like "I'd rather be a Paki than a Turk"? You've never seen England fans booing a protest against racism?

Plenty of good stuff has come out of England over the years and plenty of other countries have done terrible things too, not arguing against at all. I don't support other countries either. But it does feel like this country has never faced up to its past. You could very well argue that Germany hasn't done anywhere near enough over the years to atone for the atrocities of the Nazi regime, but at least they did SOMETHING, and their fans aren't singing songs about their famous war victories either.

A handful of nobheads singing 10 German bombers or whatever it is and you reckon 'this country has never faced up to its past'? Jesus wept, just jesus fucking wept.

• Upvote 1

For me it's more about how the rest of the country,well the people in power politically and in the media have always viewed and talked about Merseyside and by proxy its most successful football club. Let's also not forget the London-centric national Football Association ignoring warnings about ticket allocation for the FA Cup Semi finals of both 1988 and 1989 and it's almost inevitable conclusion. Then another 30 years of the people in charge both denying their responsibility and labelling people who suffered as 'louts' 'drunkards' and many other obvious lies. You want me and others on Merseyside to support your national team? Well how about apologising and admitting your culpability leading to the deaths of 96 of us? It might be a long time ago but some of us will never forget.

• Upvote 1

No, it goes the other way. I think this country has never faced up to its past, and that's why racism and sectarianism is so rife amongst England fans.

For another example, see the statues of Cecil Rhodes still up in one of the most prestigious universities in the country.

• Upvote 1

Just now, joe_fishfish said:

No, it goes the other way. I think this country has never faced up to its past, and that's why racism and sectarianism is so rife amongst England fans.

For another example, see the statues of Cecil Rhodes still up in one of the most prestigious universities in the country.

You do know the UK gives around 16 billion quid in foreign aid, yes?

Sectarianism is rife amongst Scottish and Northern irish fans as well. Racism is very much alive in many European countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_development_aid_country_donors

And sorry, but if a statue troubles you, when are you campaigning to get the insignia of the slave trade removed from numerous Liverpool buildings?

History happens. We learn from it not erase it because we dont like it.

2 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Yes it has. Slavery and colonialism is taught in schools. Everyone knows our history - there is a museum on fucking slavery in Liverpool FFS!

A statue in Oxford - that is being debated as we speak by the way. Is not proof that the UK and only the UK is in denial about its history. 

12 minutes ago, A Red said:

If I felt as strongly as some on here about how bad my country is, I'd move. 

Obviously these tits have fuck all to offer and no other Country would want them so they're trapped and bitter.

4 minutes ago, Jockey said:

Screenshot_20210630-180114_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ab636e07382fc06a7db15f1db21f51df.jpg

Fox is a fucking nob. Some of the people saying racism is rife here, yes it is. But to say nothing is done about it is utter shite. Perhaps thos people should visit a stadium in Italy never mind Eastern Europe when black players are in a team. Unbelievable how some close their eyes to what goes on elsewhere yet just look inwards all the time.