You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Euro 2020(21)

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Nothing ironic about it, Anubis is talking out of his not inconsiderable arse, as per. The England team is a triumph of diversity, and anyone pretending its success will be some kind of fillip to white nationalists is an outright liar.

I don't think somebody voicing an opinion is a liar as Anubis is simply giving his opinion on how he sees it going. I agree with you that it would be a triumph of multiculturism but that is not how it is often played out in the media and political circles. 

12 minutes ago, Manny said:

Always suspected it but hadn't quite realised just how fucking terrible England's record in knockout tournament football is. In their entire history (since joining FIFA in 1950), before last night they've beaten:

• Argentina, Portugal and West Germany in 1966
  • Paraguay in 1986
  • Belgium and Cameroon in 1990
  • Spain in 1996
  • Denmark in 2002
  • Ecuador in 2006
  • Colombia and Sweden in 2018

11 matches in 70 years, and over a quarter of them were in 1966. Not exactly an illustrious bunch either - outside of 66, there's only really Spain and possibly Belgium that you'd class as "major" nations.

Ah well, if England win it, you'll always have their historical record to throw at them. 

1 hour ago, belarus said:

The thing I don’t understand, is the celebration of nationalism from other countries, but when it comes to home, the same behaviour is seen as scummy. There’s cunts from every land, every city and every walk of life. Turning your back on “Ingurland” as they are disparagingly referred to hands more of a share to the cunt contingent

Do you honestly not see the difference between English people revelling in English nationalism and (to pick one example) Irish people celebrating Irish history? You really don't see how a nation's history affects how people feel about it?

Look at some of the things that have been done throughout history in the name of England and Britain. Slavery, colonialism, oppression, war, misery inflicted the world over. This country has never faced up to its past and English nationalism is a lightning rod for all of the nastiness that comes with it.

1 minute ago, joe_fishfish said:

Do you honestly not see the difference between English people revelling in English nationalism and (to pick one example) Irish people celebrating Irish history? You really don't see how a nation's history affects how people feel about it?

Look at some of the things that have been done throughout history in the name of England and Britain. Slavery, colonialism, oppression, war, misery inflicted the world over. This country has never faced up to its past and English nationalism is a lightning rod for all of the nastiness that comes with it.

Look Englands history is not glowing but they were not the only ones colonising and enslaving. Holland, Portugal, Belgium France, Italy,Germany and Spain were all colonisers. The Moors colonized parts of Europe and took slaves also, ancient Egypt colonised and enslaved. You make it seem like only England did it and so its wrong for some people to celebrate being English. 

11 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Ah well, if England win it, you'll always have their historical record to throw at them. 

I think you’ve misread that as a criticism. Fair play to this group for breaking new ground to be honest, much more fancied teams have completely flopped, as that list shows.

3 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Bollocks! 

Why not pick France? Exactly the same can be said of France, yet nobody is slagging off the French team and French football fans. This English Nationalism bad, other Nationalism good is just plain old fashioned bigotry. As you pointed out about Britain's past - yet you don't criticise Scotland football fans, nor Wales football fans - and their flags. 

The difference between patriotism and nationalism is quite stark. This England football team stood up against those nationalists and bigots - yet people like you ignore that, so that you can paint all English fans (not British) as thugs. Same vibe that people use against Liverpool and have done for decades. 

18 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Seriously, what woke tosh. OK, so we're going to ignore Germany had the halocaust, the Argentine junta taking people off the street, murdering them and stealing new borns from hospitals to give to party members. Franco's government in Spain etc.

We can go on dragging up colonial stuff from the past. Ive no problem with Ireland, Scotland and others celebrating their nationality but fuck''s sake, dont try and make out other nations havent got a murky past filled with unacceptable actions today.

There are as many nationalistic thugs in Scotland, germany, russia, italy, croatia etc as there are in England.

You mention slavery, dont forget this city grew on the back of the slave trade.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

20210630_130809.jpg

A disgrace. Sadly, the cunts posting stuff like this post other vile stuff on social media. We were stoned by Roma fans exiting the Stadio Olimpico in 1984 and the coaches trashed the night before, threaten by a gang of German skinheads when walking from the Westfallon back to Dortmund in 2001. Should I hold them as representative of Italian and German fans? No, because I knew they were not.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Manny said:

I think you’ve misread that as a criticism. Fair play to this group for breaking new ground to be honest, much more fancied teams have completely flopped, as that list shows.

Okay, appreciate the clarification. With all the bitterness flying round it's hard to tell what's what.

23 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

So there’s nothing to celebrate or be proud of if you want to be that way apart from what you’ve listed? Can’t say I’ve ever seen those things being celebrated to be honest. What country hasn’t done those things or has a guilty history in some way?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

20210630_130809.jpg

This is so so wrong but its a social media platform which is a magnet for the lowest of the low and its not indicative of all English fans . I just dont get why u want to post it. People on twitter send messages to terminally ill people telling them that they hope they die, fuckwits the lot of them.

Think the difference in nationalistic pride is that England and Britain has a lot to be proud of, for example engineering and inventions from the past as well as some lovely areas of the country.

Problem is the national pride seems to be based on winning world wars and having an air of superiority over the rest of Europe and the world. Look on Twitter and you'll instantly see loads of accounts with union jacks, scroll down and they will all be Brexit right wing racists but dress it up as national pride. Some people in England seem to think WW2 is the barometer for everything and everything was great even though none of them lived through it. 

English people living in Spain who can't be arsed learning the language and just want Britain in the Sun with egg and chips yet treating the locals like shit. The same twats will moan about Pakistanis or Poles coming to the UK and not integrating. 

3 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

This is so so wrong but its a social media platform which is a magnet for the lowest of the low and its not indicative of all English fans . I just dont get why u want to post it. People on twitter send messages to terminally ill people telling them that they hope they die, fuckwits the lot of them.

It's a cesspit. It's a good job Travis Bickle never had Twitter as it would have sped up the process of buying guns and going on the rampage. 

2 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

English people living in Spain who can't be arsed learning the language and just want Britain in the Sun with egg and chips yet treating the locals like shit.

Hey, as a veggie in Spain sometimes my only option is egg and chips.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Think the difference in nationalistic pride is that England and Britain has a lot to be proud of, for example engineering and inventions from the past as well as some lovely areas of the country.

Problem is the national pride seems to be based on winning world wars and having an air of superiority over the rest of Europe and the world. Look on Twitter and you'll instantly see loads of accounts with union jacks, scroll down and they will all be Brexit right wing racists but dress it up as national pride. Some people in England seem to think WW2 is the barometer for everything and everything was great even though none of them lived through it. 

English people living in Spain who can't be arsed learning the language and just want Britain in the Sun with egg and chips yet treating the locals like shit. The same twats will moan about Pakistanis or Poles coming to the UK and not integrating. 

Come on! It's fucking twitter. It's a magnet for cunts. 

AFD are, I think, the third biggest party in Germany, the Italians have a far right party as the biggest in their parliament, Le Pen (despite losing last week) has regularly received 30% of the vote in France. Austria, Hungary, Poland, all have had far right parties in government with influence in the last 10 years. 

Nobody on here looks to their national teams and fans and dismisses them as racists! Fine, if you don't like international teams because they attract nationalists I can agree with that. But it  should go for all International football. When France won in 2018 I don't recall too many on this forum criticising them as a beacon for racists and nationalism. 

This team has stood up against those people! That is why I am happy for them, they have kneeled and stood up against those gobshites. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

But aren’t you singling the Brits out that do that while looking at the fact other nationalities do set up their own communities in the UK? Fair fucks to them as well by the way.

The flag being taken by the nationalists is wank - why is the British flag seen as a racist symbol and others aren’t? The only way it will stop being identified as that racist symbol as the primary point, is if the majority, the ordinary and well living folk, are able to fly it or celebrate it without being accused of being a nationalist. There’s a fear of flying our flags attributed to it like that I feel. 

You go to France or Spain and see the flags everywhere for no reason and we celebrate them for it. 

Posting a tweet from one idiot isn’t proof of anything aside from that dick heads populate that platform and voice their shit.

I still think England are absolutely shit.

Four goals in four matches is hardly a team that’s built momentum. They didn’t even play great yesterday. 

I am happy for the good everyday people in the nation who enjoy watching them. My mother in law told me earlier that she enjoyed watched it and she hates football. 

I reckon next tournament we should do a public poll of people’s attitudes if they like the national team before a tournament then if they progress through the knock out phases see who’s opinion changes as they jump on the bandwagon. 

Although, I am admittedly a headstrong fucker that doesn’t often change his opinion. 

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Seriously, what woke tosh. OK, so we're going to ignore Germany had the halocaust, the Argentine junta taking people off the street, murdering them and stealing new borns from hospitals to give to party members. Franco's government in Spain etc.

We can go on dragging up colonial stuff from the past. Ive no problem with Ireland, Scotland and others celebrating their nationality but fuck''s sake, dont try and make out other nations havent got a murky past filled with unacceptable actions today.

There are as many nationalistic thugs in Scotland, germany, russia, italy, croatia etc as there are in England.

You mention slavery, dont forget this city grew on the back of the slave trade.

186138.jpg

It's DC gone mad

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

3 hours ago, belarus said:

The thing I don’t understand, is the celebration of nationalism from other countries, but when it comes to home, the same behaviour is seen as scummy. There’s cunts from every land, every city and every walk of life. Turning your back on “Ingurland” as they are disparagingly referred to hands more of a share to the cunt contingent

I'm not a fan of nationalism, full stop. If your supposed love for your country makes you boo anti-racist gestures or call crying children slags, then there's something not quite right with it.