You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Euro 2020(21)

Bjornebye

20 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Er.. no. If they are level on points, it's head to head, then GD, GS. You have points, GD, GS, head to head.

For the table standings. Then it’s head to head should have made it clearer. 

According to the Times football podcast if it’s level at the end of the group stage between 2 sides playing each other in the last group game it would go to penalties but I’ve not checked that. 

3 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

For the table standings. Then it’s head to head should have made it clearer. 

According to the Times football podcast if it’s level at the end of the group stage between 2 sides playing each other in the last group game it would go to penalties but I’ve not checked that. 

Yes, it says so in the last paragraph I copy pasted from the UEFA website.

I can see Hendo breaking his England 50+ game run without scoring getting a hattrick to send England through. Then I woke up!

I see Germany winning this 2 or 3 nil if Im brutally honest. It should also set the alarm bells ringing at the FA headquarters to find a replacement for southgate but it wont.

6 minutes ago, Elite said:

Anyone giving England a chance?

Despite their indifferent form in the group, can't see past Germany. They win big games in tournaments, England just don't.

From what I've seen so far its a piss poor German side so I'd say they will win 

7 minutes ago, Elite said:

Anyone giving England a chance?

Despite their indifferent form in the group, can't see past Germany. They win big games in tournaments, England just don't.

Germany have only really played well for about half an hour so far but if they turn up they'll win comfortably. 

I think it's an advantage to have played some tough games in the group. 

This German defence is poor - and no defensive midfielder. England can win, they have players who have won the biggest trophies there is - the Germans were poor yesterday, so debateable if they are improving. I just don't rate the German defence at all - it is very average. 

But, the England midfield without Henderson is very poor as well, the German midfield is so much better than England. I don't think it is a clear cut as some are making it out, but if I am pushed I'd say Germany because they tend to be better at tournaments than England. 

7 minutes ago, Jockey said:

This German defence is poor - and no defensive midfielder. England can win, they have players who have won the biggest trophies there is - the Germans were poor yesterday, so debateable if they are improving. I just don't rate the German defence at all - it is very average. 

But, the England midfield without Henderson is very poor as well, the German midfield is so much better than England. I don't think it is a clear cut as some are making it out, but if I am pushed I'd say Germany because they tend to be better at tournaments than England. 

Which is strange as they have Goretzka in the side and are playing Kimmich wide.

4 hours ago, Jockey said:

Thinking this morning - one of the last games I saw with my Grandad was the Semi in 1988 between Germany and Holland - Van Basten's last minute goal sending the Dutch through. If Germany win, that is still possible. 

Think Van Basten's retired, mate.

D-Day’ instead of ‘kick-off’: The Brexiter’s guide to England vs Germany

June 24, 2021

Written by Chris Ballard

England’s next opponents in Euro 2020 provide the perfect excuse to wheel out some lovely comforting WWII terminology.

It’s every Brexiter’s wet dream – England are playing Germany, which is basically World War Two all over again.

Here’s a handy guide to some of the language you can use if you too feel the urge to be a jingoistic tosspot:

D-Day: Kick-off

The start of the match. Crunch time. Use it in sentences like, ‘This is it boys – D-Day.’

For added points, clumsily paraphrase famous Churchill speeches e.g. ‘We will fight on the benches, we will fight in the football ground!’

Blitz: A sustained period of German attack involving multiple shots at goal in quick succession.

A blitz can only be defended. There is no equivalent word for an England attack because one has never been required.

In the unlikely event that England score three goals the commentator may say, ‘It’s like Dresden all over again!’ because there’s never a more appropriate time to invoke a military atrocity than a moderately successful football match.

Dunkirk spirit: A prolonged and very stressful period of England defending.

Could probably be applied to most of the match but usually reserved for the last ten minutes when England desperately try to preserve an undeserved one-goal lead. And then concede.

Home front: Wembley

An away match would be ‘Behind enemy lines’, but as it is we are being attacked on the home front and will defend it with our lives, and as long as it’s within the rules of associated football.

Our Boys: The England team

The brave players fighting tooth and nail to preserve the hopes and dreams – indeed, the very way of life – of an entire nation. We couldn’t be prouder.

Unless they lose, in which case they’re a bunch of overpaid bellends who’ve got no idea what a privilege it is to play for their country.

4 hours ago, Jockey said:

Thinking this morning - one of the last games I saw with my Grandad was the Semi in 1988 between Germany and Holland - Van Basten's last minute goal sending the Dutch through. If Germany win, that is still possible. 

Germany v Netherlands is a much bigger match than Germany v England. Massive hatred in the footy. 

6 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Germany v Netherlands is a much bigger match than Germany v England. Massive hatred in the footy. 

It is - I remember 96 in the City Centre and after the Dutch had lost to France, lots of Dutch fans telling us to 'fuck the Germans'! 

Don't think the Germans are arsed about England! They do beat England though, whereas you have beaten them quite often. 

1 minute ago, Jockey said:

It is - I remember 96 in the City Centre and after the Dutch had lost to France, lots of Dutch fans telling us to 'fuck the Germans'! 

Don't think the Germans are arsed about England! They do beat England though, whereas you have beaten them quite often. 

First time I'd ever been to Anfield that. We were sat in the Centenary right below where the scoreboard and control room are now. Great view for the penalty shoot-out at the Kop end.

3 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

The rag have started it already today. 

They will. All that lot will. It's what they do. But they did it during the Rugby World Cup as well, and they'll do it during the Ashes. We don't fuck those teams off - I don't follow Rugby, but I fucking love Cricket and love the Ashes and love twatting the Aussies. I know loads of England fans who are sound - been loads out in the pubs in the City Centre, who have been sound. 

Every nationalist and racist in every country is going to follow their national team. 

Just now, Trumo said:

First time I'd ever been to Anfield that. We were sat in the Centenary right below where the scoreboard and control room are now. Great view for the penalty shoot-out at the Kop end.

Nice! I never got to go to any of the games. I wish I had - would have loved to watch the Dutch.