You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Euro 2020(21)

Bjornebye

2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

German rivalry is apparently with the Dutch in football, they don't care too much about England.

I don't think the Dutch were much of an issue to them, football-wise, prior to 1974 either really.

It's when the Germans realised they'd just won the World Cup beating a far superior team to them that I think an instant intensity kicked off.

8 minutes ago, s(k)aturation said:

I don't think the Dutch were much of an issue to them, football-wise, prior to 1974 either really.

It's when the Germans realised they'd just won the World Cup beating a far superior team to them that I think an instant intensity kicked off.

It's what I heard or read. There is also a local rivalry with Austria. They don't care about England, or at least, no more than about France or Italy. It's mostly a one-sided obsession. I think England may be Germany's Scotland in football. 

21 minutes ago, SasaS said:

It's what I heard or read. There is also a local rivalry with Austria. They don't care about England, or at least, no more than about France or Italy. It's mostly a one-sided obsession. I think England may be Germany's Scotland in football. 

Yeah they don't actually give much of a shit about rivalry from what I can tell - it's that dispassionate sang-froid that probably makes them so successful.

They get more excited about bratwurst and rightly so.

Slavic teams don't win much, cos they're always angry and paranoid about something they've said or heard in a bar.

How's that for generalisations?

I was hoping Scotland would do well for Andy Robertson's sake. When the matches involving England and Scotland were over the other night, my wife suggested it was really because I felt an affinity with my Celtic (with a K, but either works) brethren. Don't be ridiculous, I told her, there would be no way I'd cheer for a Protestant country over a Catholic one. Obviously I was comfortable with the child abuse, she said. Top bantz, eh? And if you think that was a bit close to the knuckle, wait until you see her reaction to Germany doing well in just about anything. I woke up this morning to a WhatsApp from my brother telling me about the pairing. She's not up yet and even the thought of her finding out about it is filling me with dread. I'm genuinely hoping England win, because the domestic turmoil if Germany beat England again doesn't bear thinking about.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, suzy said:

So how did Germany get second place? They had identical points and GD in the table. Did it go on the result of Portugal v Germany? All the hoo har  this morning and no one mentions it!

Goal difference

Goals scored

Head to head

Disciplinary record

Highest uefa coefficient ranking. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Goal difference

Goals scored

Head to head

Disciplinary record

Using a disciplinary record criteria is Partridge-esque given the quality of modern refereeing and VAR. The two Spanish refs and an Italian ref have been absolute shite.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, lifetime fan said:

Goal difference

Goals scored

Head to head

Disciplinary record

Are you sure that is true?

UEFA's page says

How ties were broken within groups

If two or more teams in the same group are equal on points on completion of the final tournament group stage, the following criteria are applied, in the order given, to determine their rankings:

a. higher number of points obtained in the matches played among the teams in question
b. superior goal difference resulting from the matches played among the teams in question
c. higher number of goals scored in the matches played among the teams in question
d. if, after having applied criteria a) to c), teams still have an equal ranking, criteria a) to c) are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the remaining teams to determine their final rankings. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria e) to i) apply in the order given to the two or more teams still equal
e. superior goal difference in all group matches
f. higher number of goals scored in all group matches
g. higher number of wins in all group matches
h. lower disciplinary points total based only on yellow and red cards received in all group matches (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, expulsion for two yellow cards in one match = 3 points)
i. position in the overall European Qualifiers rankings

If two teams which have the same number of points and the same number of goals scored and conceded play their last group match against each other and are still equal at the end of that match, their final rankings are determined by kicks from the penalty mark, provided that no other teams within the group have the same number of points on completion of all group matches. 

20 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Are you sure that is true?

UEFA's page says

How ties were broken within groups

If two or more teams in the same group are equal on points on completion of the final tournament group stage, the following criteria are applied, in the order given, to determine their rankings:

a. higher number of points obtained in the matches played among the teams in question
b. superior goal difference resulting from the matches played among the teams in question
c. higher number of goals scored in the matches played among the teams in question
d. if, after having applied criteria a) to c), teams still have an equal ranking, criteria a) to c) are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the remaining teams to determine their final rankings. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria e) to i) apply in the order given to the two or more teams still equal
e. superior goal difference in all group matches
f. higher number of goals scored in all group matches
g. higher number of wins in all group matches
h. lower disciplinary points total based only on yellow and red cards received in all group matches (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, expulsion for two yellow cards in one match = 3 points)
i. position in the overall European Qualifiers rankings

If two teams which have the same number of points and the same number of goals scored and conceded play their last group match against each other and are still equal at the end of that match, their final rankings are determined by kicks from the penalty mark, provided that no other teams within the group have the same number of points on completion of all group matches. 

Is that not what I said?