You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Euro 2020(21)

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

Agree completely, but for whatever combination of reasons England can't beat big sides the way others can despite having some quality players and won't get practice at doing so again until the knock-out stages of the next tournament. They'll tear up San Marino, Latvia, Liechtenstein and Andorra in the qualifiers though.  

As I say, look to the manager! England last beat big teams when they had a manager used to winning big games - Sven! Since then - McClaren, Capello, Hodgson, Allardyce and Gareth. Capello had never managed an International side though. These players play under Pep, Klopp, Simeone, Poch, etc. what the fuck does Gareth understand about that? 

1-1 against Germany in a Quarter final - what do you do next? I reckon, the answer isn't bring to Robbie Mustoe on! 

18 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Capello couldn't get a tune out of some of the best English players of all time. Proof that England can't hack it in the deep end. 

It isn't really. He had one world cup - Venables, Robson, Hoddle had it - and built good teams. Sven went to Munich and won 5-1. 

It isn't 'the England' team. It is a lot deeper than that - I'd argue that Wenger gets this team into the later stages. There are champions league winners in this team - they can win big games. 

2 hours ago, dandyman said:

So uefa tell Germany that they can’t colour their stadium in rainbow colours because it’s political 

whilst also colouring their own logo in rainbow colours

the levels at play here are baffling 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57579821

UEFA and FIFA are awful at reading the room. Either that or they are kowtowing to whims of the regimes with backwards views because that's where all the money is coming from. This kind of thing is only going to go into overdrive for the next World Cup.

23 minutes ago, Trumo said:

UEFA and FIFA are awful at reading the room. Either that or they are kowtowing to whims of the regimes with backwards views because that's where all the money is coming from. This kind of thing is only going to go into overdrive for the next World Cup.

They don't give a shit about the room. It's all about appeasing regimes which are hostile to LGBQT people. 

2 hours ago, dandyman said:

So uefa tell Germany that they can’t colour their stadium in rainbow colours because it’s political 

whilst also colouring their own logo in rainbow colours

the levels at play here are baffling 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57579821

The only colour UEFA care about is whatever currency they are being payed in

Definite penalty, another good example of VAR use.

Morata is shite. I hope Spain come bottom and Thiago has a nice holiday.

Keep the countries with the most Man City, Chelsea & Man Utd players involved the longest.

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Spain could progress here with 3 draws, which would be something.

I think Portugal drew all their group games at the last Euros and still got through after finishing 3rd in their group.

2 minutes ago, Trumo said:

I think Portugal drew all their group games at the last Euros and still got through after finishing 3rd in their group.

They did indeed, I'd forgotten about that. Then they went on to win it, after drawing in 90 minutes in three of the four knockout matches.

In years gone by, Spain could pass teams off the park while still possessing a ruthless streak. This Spain team isn't as effective at the passing bit, and there is very little ruthlessness and hunger to score either.