You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Euro 2020(21)

Bjornebye

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

They are. Mook and JV look like they want to kill each other!

You're having a laugh aren't you.  It's International Football it's all a bit meh.

There's a shit load of hypocrisy on this Forum over England though I wouldn't include Mook in that.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, J-V said:

You're having a laugh aren't you.  It's International Football it's all a bit meh.

There's a shit load of hypocrisy on this Forum over England though I wouldn't include Mook in that.

No hard feelings here mate, just a bit of over the border rivalry & I wouldn't expect any less.

I'd happily buy you a pint & have a laugh about it all if we were in a boozer.

12 minutes ago, Jockey said:

Haha they're not! I find Scotland annoying - they are England's rivals - that is how it should be. I am ambivalent about England - I want them to do well this time, to piss the booing cunts off - 2016 I was jumping up and down when Iceland scored! I think Southgate is shit, but he is a nice bloke. 

Meh. Liverpool Unite's us. 

That's pretty much where I'm at plus I don't really dislike any of the England players enough this time around. Maybe I'm getting old.

Normally I'll support England in the tournaments but I'm finding myself not giving a fuck this time round

Saw about 60 mins and thought they were ok in the 1st and dire in the 2nd. 

Weird because Southgate is probably a nice bloke if very limited coach and don't really hate any of the players that much yet just can't summon any enthusiasm at all

Wish it all would just fuck off

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, mattyq said:

Normally I'll support England in the tournaments but I'm finding myself not giving a fuck this time round

Saw about 60 mins and thought they were ok in the 1st and dire in the 2nd. 

Weird because Southgate is probably a nice bloke if very limited coach and don't really hate any of the players that much yet just can't summon any enthusiasm at all

Wish it all would just fuck off

Yeah same. I find myself wanting to get behind this England team as they have some decent players but I just can't be arsed. Probably because I look at the fans in the stadium and think 90% of you voted Brexit 

10 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

How much would Saka cost, realistically?

We had the chance to sign him before he signed a pro contract with Arsenal. He wanted to come here aswell. Don't know why we didn't pull the trigger. This was when he played LB, maybe we didn't see the potential RW in there. I guess noone did really and it got stumbled on accidentially.

21 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

That England team is fucking pony all because of the manager. A decent manager would have that team winning games easily. 

Thankfully they have Southgate. 

Against the group teams they have played,most definitely. Their last 4 games have been three 1-0 wins and a 0-0 and even though I don't rate them they are capable of battering weak opposition,which they haven't come close to doing. I imagine Southgate is simply thinking 'Don't concede against the better sides and we might squeak through by the odd goal.' This is fair enough against France,Germany,Netherlands,Italy etc but pretty shocking against the likes of Romania,Estonia,Scotland,Czech Republic and so on.

I have this theory that a lot of managers like Southgate are no good in international tournaments - they essentially focus upon developing teams that are 'difficult to beat' - which over the course of a season, accumulates enough points to finish anywhere between 14th and 8th. Catch them in a good year and they finish 8th and reach a final - and end up as England manager. But, the tournament needs managers who know how to win games and change tactics during a game - something these type of managers don't know how to do. 

Look at the cup records of Hodgson, Moyes, Allardyce etc. the odd cup run and the odd final but by and large early exits and piss poor records. Because they are not set up to win games. Southgate epitomises that - he would be Crystal Palace's manager - he would finish top 10, and that will be it. I think of Potter, Howe and how they play and it seems obvious that they would be a better option with these players. In the age of Pep, Klopp etc. the fact that the FA thought Allardyce was the coach for players who would be working with those top managers on a day to day basis speaks volumes about the idiocy of the FA. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

That England team is fucking pony all because of the manager. A decent manager would have that team winning games easily. 

Thankfully they have Southgate. 

The insistence on playing Sterling is baffling. He's fucking shite and nullifies any decent attack. Granted his goal last night was decent, his run was perfect but by and large he just ruins attacking breaks. I bet Kane hates playing with him. 

While they're not alone in it, I don't think England are helped by being the top seed in qualifying groups for the main tournaments. They generally can't handle the bigger games when they arrive. I'm not sure what a team and manager learn by beating Andorra and San Marino. 

Then there's a situation where they end up being booed by their own fans after the Scotland game, in a group stage that they end up finishing top in. This dynamic is undoubtedly damaging to them too.

Bale and Ramsey aside, Wales don't have the same quality, but I'd imagine team spirit is a thousand times better and players and manager aren't afflicted by the same overthinking and fearfulness as they know that their country has their backs. 

7 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

While they're not alone in it, I don't think England are helped by being the top seed in qualifying groups for the main tournaments. They generally can't handle the bigger games when they arrive. I'm not sure what a team and manager learn by beating Andorra and San Marino. 

Then there's a situation where they end up being booed by their own fans after the Scotland game, in a group stage that they end up finishing top in. This dynamic is undoubtedly damaging to them too.

Bale and Ramsey aside, Wales don't have the same quality, but I'd imagine team spirit is a thousand times better and players and manager aren't afflicted by the same overthinking and fearfulness as they know that their country has their backs. 

It's the same set up for every country and the likes of France, Italy, Germany don't complain. England just can't perform on the big stage. When was the last time they beat a big side in a tournament? Argentina in Japan 2002 in the group stages from a Beckham penalty? 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

It's the same set up for every country and the likes of France, Italy, Germany don't complain. England just can't perform on the big stage. When was the last time they beat a big side in a tournament? Argentina in Japan 2002 in the group stages from a Beckham penalty? 

Agree completely, but for whatever combination of reasons England can't beat big sides the way others can despite having some quality players and won't get practice at doing so again until the knock-out stages of the next tournament. They'll tear up San Marino, Latvia, Liechtenstein and Andorra in the qualifiers though.