You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Euro 2020(21)

Bjornebye

2 hours ago, coachpotato said:

That sending off was tough but correct.

Poorly timed, over the ball, and onto the shin/ankle.

Seems to me that there’s a challenge like that in almost every game, where the tackler is a fraction late and lands their foot onto the opponents foot or ankle.

Almost like it’s meant to look accidental but is still guaranteed to cause pain.

Happens too often to be coincidental.

Thing is, every ref interprets it differently and while consistency has been good so far this tournament, with even VAR almost acceptable, this ref has done something nobody else has so far.

Everything you say above is excellent and valid, and for me, points to a good referee taking into account all the excellent and valid points above, the key one being interpretation... and then making that individual interpretation based on whatever nuances of interpretation what you have said above might allow.

On that basis, had I been the ref today, I would have given the lad a yellow.

Comme si, comme ça.

I'm giving the "good refereeing" in this tournament so far the benefit of the doubt, and half-full-wise am saying that refs haven't been making this "harsh" call for fear of ruining the balance of the game on the basis of what they have considered perhaps a 50/50, maybe 40/60 call.

And I'm going to the bookie's today to put my speculative 20-quid on Wales doing a "Greece '04".

And getting me coat.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jockey said:

There is a lot of teams who have started tournaments on fire and ended up getting knocked out. Brazil in 82, Denmark in 84 and 86, Italy 90, Argentina 94, Holland 92, England 96 - the Germans were always masters at timing their form. 

So glad we didn't have this forum in 1996. Spared me the "Worst Netherlands team in history" shouts after England destroyed them 4-1.

21 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

So glad we didn't have this forum in 1996. Spared me the "Worst Netherlands team in history" shouts after England destroyed them 4-1.

Didn't the late Kluivert goal send them through and Scotland out? 

1 minute ago, Chocoholic said:

Just heard that Mason Mount and Ben Chillwell are self isolating from the England squad after being in contact with Gilmour.

Might be the right time for England to withdraw from the tournament with their dignity intact.

• Upvote 1