You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Euro 2020(21)

Bjornebye

Just now, El Rojo said:

On the evidence of the last two games. Spain are about as good as Brighton. 

Their whole setup is nonsense. They play football like they still have Xavi and Iniesta and there's clearly some weird favoritism thing going on with no Real Madrid players being in the squad. And Thiago not playing is also nonsense. 

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Their whole setup is nonsense. They play football like they still have Xavi and Iniesta and there's clearly some weird favoritism thing going on with no Real Madrid players being in the squad. And Thiago not playing is also nonsense. 

Surely even an out of form Isco or Asensio are a better bet than some of the duds padding out their squad. And despite not having shoulders, Aspas is more potent than Morata.  

14 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think it’s hilarious that he didn’t call up a single Real Madrid player especially Ramos 

39 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I 100% think that was a penalty to Spain - studs right on top of his foot / ankle.

It's the way the game has gone, but don't really agree with it. The defender has to try and win the ball, and they did (try). They didn't impede the attacker, and it wasn't particularly dangerous or reckless. But the attacker gets a second chance. 

It's not equitable, if the defender wants to make sure they get there first it probably would look a reckless challenge and they'd be walking as well as giving away a pen.

22 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Surely even an out of form Isco or Asensio are a better bet than some of the duds padding out their squad. And despite not having shoulders, Aspas is more potent than Morata.  

Asensio maybe. Isco, fucking no chance. He's done. Looks like a fat street guitarist now. Largely an absolute joke in Spain.

Nacho should have been in the squad, and I don't think Carvajal would have been left out had he been fit.

Aspas probably should have been in the squad rather than Traore who they are never going to play. Oyarzabal is a really good footballer though, and Moreno, Morata and Torres were always going to be selected. 

It's a pretty decent squad which Enrique is not getting much out of.

Azpilicueta should be at right back. Llorente is criminally wasted there, he got 12 league goals last season. Thiago should be playing instead of Pedri.

• Upvote 1

When Murphy said England wouldn't fear Spain, I thought you arrogant twat, not like the Spanish would be shitting themselves playing Ingerlund on their showings thus far. To be fair, the worst Spanish team I can remember in donkey's years.

Was great seeing Germany come good today. Listening to some pundits on these shores, you would think Germany were a shit Scunthorpe. You look at their team and full of absolute winners like Muller, Neuer, Kimmich and Kroos. 

Spain were at the point of needing to adapt away from tiki-taka football around about 2014. It was a system well suited to the midfielders they had at the time, and the key aspect of that set-up was to progress both the team and the ball up the pitch, keeping the ball away from opponents and pinning them back. When/if the opponents finally got it back, the set-up was designed to either win the ball back quickly or have the opponents be so knackered from chasing that they gave it away quickly anyway.

What Spain don't do now - and probably haven't done since their 2014 World Cup disaster, when they got knocked out at the group stage - is progress the ball well up the pitch with their possession football. It's possession football without purpose.

28 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Asensio maybe. Isco, fucking no chance. He's done. Looks like a fat street guitarist now. Largely an absolute joke in Spain.

Nacho should have been in the squad, and I don't think Carvajal would have been left out had he been fit.

Aspas probably should have been in the squad rather than Traore who they are never going to play. Oyarzabal is a really good footballer though, and Moreno, Morata and Torres were always going to be selected. 

It's a pretty decent squad which Enrique is not getting much out of.

Azpilicueta should be at right back. Llorente is criminally wasted there, he got 12 league goals last season. Thiago should be playing instead of Pedri.

So you’re saying Arsenal should be plotting a £40m move for Isco this summer?

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, polymerpunkah said:

Setting aside the potential for hundreds or thousands of infections resulting from it, a full house does definitely add to the quality of a match, even watching on TV.

And occasionally, the quality of life needs to be weighed up against what is, at times - to lots of people I have met in my almost 55 years - the grim and cheerless pursuit of survival.

8 hours ago, Pidge said:

It's the way the game has gone, but don't really agree with it. The defender has to try and win the ball, and they did (try). They didn't impede the attacker, and it wasn't particularly dangerous or reckless. But the attacker gets a second chance. 

It's not equitable, if the defender wants to make sure they get there first it probably would look a reckless challenge and they'd be walking as well as giving away a pen.

The reason it was given and most are under VAR is that its slowed down way beyond normal speed and everything looks like a foul when you do that. It was yet another nonsense decision using VAR. Lets also not forget the play acting of the player and those ridiculous football boots they wear with no protection. If shin pads must be worn then boots should have to offer protection also.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Elite said:

Having 4 3rd place teams qualify has completely ruined the group stages for me, feels like most of the games are a bit pointless, the knockout rounds can't come quick enough.

I've had another think about this - it's a slow news Sunday here in Oz - and am wondering whether the "excitement" of this system might be measured by how many teams, going into the 3rd round robin, are still facing possible elimination.

I can't be fagged working out the permutations, and couldn't, but I'm guessing at least 12 teams will go into that 3rd round still in danger of "the drop".

I guess that's "exciting"?