You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Euro 2020(21)

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Saintslfc13 said:

I always think of those words as synonymous in football. I understand there is meant to be a difference but I do think the best managers tend to be the best coaches as well. England needs someone that's flexible to his talent, like any side does to be fair. The ones we've talked about were all too shoehorned into their own styles to ever think about changing it. If I was making the decisions I'd honestly approach Rodgers for this particular England side. I think he's pretty much the perfect man to get enough out of the team for short competition whereas his tactics over a full club season get found out. I know he's not English but NI is still part of the UK so it ticks the boxes unless you're being really technical.

You train dogs, you educate horses.

…or something.

46 minutes ago, Saintslfc13 said:

I don't disagree with your original assessment but your final point to me is pretty much the whole problem. There is no set way of playing, sure, but how can there be? All of these players have been coached and manged in very different ways for very different teams. Lately, and by that I mean for the last 10-15 years, England has largely set out to play a defensive sort of football as you said. It takes actual coaching to get the players that play for the best clubs in the world to switch to that mentality. Perhaps instead it's the mentality that needs changing, and that is on the manager.

Other international teams manage to do it fairly well though. You could even argue that England should have an advantage because they'd be used to playing in the same league together, whereas other countries can have their players spread out a lot more, sometimes on completely different continents to each other. 

In England's cases, it's nothing to do with the manager or even the players. It's the anthem. God is so busy saving the Queen he ain't got time to make sure England the nation is looked after too. All the other anthems (even the unmemorable ones like Switzerland and Austria) talk about the greatness of their lands or the strength of their people. Something bigging up their country. England's is about continued serfdom and arselicking a royal.

15 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Other international teams manage to do it fairly well though. You could even argue that England should have an advantage because they'd be used to playing in the same league together, whereas other countries can have their players spread out a lot more, sometimes on completely different continents to each other. 

I've been wrong before, full disclaimer. Maybe its that they just don't care as much?

England dont have any truely world class talent in this squad who can make a difference. Kane is a shadow of his former self whether that be down to injuries taking their toll, he's physically knackered (but that could equally apply to most of his squadmates) or he's got his mind on his upcoming move.

Grealish last night was being trumpeted as the 'great hope' to rescue England. Why? Foden has scored regularly for city but he doesnt seem ready for the international stage and certainly not a starter right now. Rashford doesnt look anything special. Mount? I just dont get the hype about him.

Put Hendo and Trent in that team and it really isnt going to make any difference in my humble opinion. England dont seem to have anyone capable of scoring regularly at this level right now. I dont think southgate has any tactical accumen.

But as I said before, making out England are shit just takes away from a very good performance by Scotland last night. Unless something suddenly clicks, Id be surprised if England get to the quarters never mind past them.

5 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

It's almost as if Southgate wants to get sacked on purpose. Sancho and Bellingham, two players who have played in Germany and in the Champions League left on the bench while the rest of them go through slow motion aimless sideways passing. 

Once they get knocked out they'll be back to battering San Marino, Albania, Kosovo and Bulgaria and qualify top of a piss easy group and everyone will get over excited again. 

England are so fucking boring and predictable. The fucking fans are the biggest twats in the universe. 

I cant stand England for reasons I've mentioned previously but watching them literally puts me to sleep. 

You're right about how boring and predictable they are. Scotland were boss last night and should have won the game but for lack of composer in front of goal. 

I was all in for Scotland to win last night especially with Robbo leading them.

I'm looking forward to watching England get knocked out and seeing their diclhead fans cry. 

I reckon there's a fair chance England will be knocked out in the QFs, having only conceded one goal all tournament.

Getting to the semi in the last WC was a freak occurrence when you looked at the stats. England had one of the lowest rates of all attacking metrics, and relied on scoring from set pieces. Southgate is Hodgson without the comic tragedy.

1 hour ago, lifetime fan said:

Anyone littering is a lazy twat. 

But your comment came across as being a bitter Ingurland fan fucked off with the result and not wanting to give any credit. 

If you get that impression from the comment things must be simple in your head.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Shearer , Lineker and Alex Scott disappearing up their own arseholes trying to explain why England were so technically inept. The only problem being that to me the England performance was very simliar to the Croatia game with an out of the blue goal thrown in , and these same pundits were bugling how brilliant England were.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I reckon there's a fair chance England will be knocked out in the QFs, having only conceded one goal all tournament.

Based on last night, I think they’ll go in the last 16 to Portugal or Germany.

I just don’t understand Southgoats tactics. Well, I do understand them, but they are to the detriment of the team.

Rice and Phillips are there to protect a shaky defence, but only 1 of them was required last night. Let’s face it. McGin is a decent player but he’s hardly Modric or Bernardo Silva or Kroos, the latter / England will likely come up against next weekend.

You argue that they were protecting against 2 strikers last night but if England’s centre backs can’t beat Dykes and Adams in 1-on-1 duels all night, something is very wrong. 

It was hardly like the full backs were bombing on either. 

So, England are being negative to protect a shaky defence but it’s at the detriment of the attackers, which had little support all game.

At no point were Scotland parked on there 18 yard line for a good 5-10 minutes hold on and last ditch defending. They were super comfortable all night. 

England were just flat and shapeless. 

As per, I’m fully expecting them to be knocked out by the first decent team they play.

I think English people are allowed to follow England. We don't seem to have a problem with every other nation supporting their national team. 

Personally I'm looking for payback for the 'void' shenanigans last year but, by and large not that arsed either way. If they win, a diverse team of working class lads will be heroes. Thousands of Scots travelled down in the midst of a pandemic so let's not portray them as saints either. 

It would help and would have helped previous teams if the manager wanted to play a specific way with specific players. I think under Eriksson they played Australia at Upton Park and used two separate teams in each half. What can you do in that time and chaotic system?. It's like signing a player on loan, throwing him in for 45 minutes then being able to make an informed opinion on him. 

Every England build up games to tournaments always seem to be against the same standard of opposition they've twatted in qualifiers without breaking sweat. Years ago if England had got beat by someone half decent the press would have gone into hysterics and told the team not to turn up. Now they just lure themselves into a false sense of security by picking easy teams to go through the motions against. 

Playing against a good team(s) who will test you will show you how players react under pressure and if you lose you will learn from the bad things that happened.

They played Romania a few weeks back who were no better than the teams they usually steamroller in qualifiers. He also included players in the game who had been cut from the squad which was completely pointless.

In the 2014 World Cup they chose to play the mighty Ecuador and Honduras in Miami rather than acclimatise in Manaus where the first game was and maybe play a friendly there. 

6 hours ago, A Red said:

Southgate showed negativity when positivity was needed. Brought Grealish on, quite rightly, but takes Foden off when quite clearly it should have been Rice. 

Everybody seems to speak about England in terms of individual players but the key is that it's a team game and they've never been much of a team.