You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Euro 2020(21)

Bjornebye

What will happen is that Southgate will end up playing Grealish, Foden and Henderson together after claiming that was always the plan when in reality hes been forced in to it by the ineptness of Rice and Mount/ Sterling.

18 minutes ago, etho said:

I think the problem this time is England actually do have the players. Grealish, Foden, Sancho, Kane would get in most club sides.

Gareth just has absolutely no idea what to do with them

England have had the players many times.  Shit Managers and even top Managers seem to lose the plot when they manage them.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Haan'sThunderbolt said:

I actually think there are some decent players there - but as already said,  they're anchored by a managing 'no mark'. Plays it too safe, plays not to lose. Why pick two DMs against Scotland? Really?? 

Why play defensively in general when the players in the side are more suited to attacking football? Give your players and your fans something to get excited over rather than setting up not to lose. The Italians look good, the French probably have the best team on paper, Belgium and the Netherlands have good sides but you know they're bound to fuck it up. Who else is there? Spain and Germany have lost their way themselves. Give the team a chance. I'm not really bothered because I don't typically pull for England but Southgate is definitely not the manager to get the best out of this side. I also think having Kane as the captain is a joke but I don't think the armband really means as much as it did, and it's probably been that way since before I got into the sport, but he's an basically a one note player that pulls a titty lip when things aren't going his way. About the furthest thing from a captain I think anyone would want.

19 minutes ago, Jockey said:

It has always been England's problem - the Manager. He us a nice guy Southgate but a poor manager - add him to the seeming never ending list of piss poor managers. 

I agree. Southgate especially isnt an international class manager. He bearly cut his teeth in club management and was the easy fallback after allardyce fucked himself out of the job. Even there, look who the FA selected before southgate, Pearce had the job temporarily, before him allardyce, hodgson and who was before him, a totally unsuitable Capello?

Fuck my life, there's some deadwood there.

• Upvote 1

It's funny to think of all the people who have managed England since Bobby Robson. Not one of them seems to have done anything after giving up the job.

Graham Taylor - largely successful with Watford and Villa ended up managing in the second tier with a short period in the prem

Terry Venables - Won the league and nearly European Cup with Barcelona. FA Cup with Tottenham. After England he spent time with his lawyers and the odd period with a few average clubs - including Leeds in meltdown.

Glenn Hoddle - Did well with Swindon and Chelsea. After a decent effort with England he did have a good period with Southampton but Spurs was a disaapointment

Kevin Keegan - Revived Newcastle and Fulham (with some financial help) and afterwards had a few decent seasons with Man City. 

Sven Goran Eriksen - won the league with Lazio. After England he had one year with Man City

Steve McClaren - Won Middlesbrough their first trophy and got them to a European final. After England not much.

Fabio Capello - Huge success everywhere. To be fair he may have treated the England job as a retirement plan.

Roy Hodgson - Effective coaching plucky underdogs if found wanting with better players. In all honesty he appears to have carried on where he was before

Sam Allardyce - Well....

Gareth Southgate - You'd have to fear for him. The job seems like a managerial graveyard. I hope Steven Gerrard isn't tempted by it. 

I say all this as one of those rare people who is neither pro or anti the England team. 

19 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I agree. Southgate especially isnt an international class manager. He bearly cut his teeth in club management and was the easy fallback after allardyce fucked himself out of the job. Even there, look who the FA selected before southgate, Pearce had the job temporarily, before him allardyce, hodgson and who was before him, a totally unsuitable Capello?

Perennial problem mate! Venables and Hoddle were the last two - Hoddle was an obnoxious cunt but he was a good fit. Robson got the job on the back of a brilliant Ipswich team. What the fuck have Hodgson, Allardyce, Southgate done? 

These players are working with Klopp, Pep, Bielsa etc. Then come to work with Southgate and they are expected to win tournaments! 

I'm absolutely ambivalent about England - not bothered if they win or lose. Although I wanted them to win last night. 

20 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Pretty sure Sven was before Capello who was probably the best manager I've seen England have but as you said was totally unsuited to that side. That was when the England should be managed by Englishmen thing really got started, pif I remember correctly. Which honestly I think should just be a rule in international competition anyway, but since it isn't, is pretty fucking stupid given the quality of English managers out there.

Apparently I forgot about Steve McClaren, forgive me

The way the ITV commentary team / the English media in general / the cretinous fans built up Jack Grealish before last night was laughable. 

Then he was welcomed with a lovely O'Donnell reducer! 

Anyone have a clip or GIF of that incident, by the way?! 

2 minutes ago, Saintslfc13 said:

Pretty sure Sven was before Capello who was probably the best manager I've seen England have but as you said was totally unsuited to that side. That was when the England should be managed by Englishmen thing really got started, pif I remember correctly. Which honestly I think should just be a rule in international competition anyway, but since it isn't, is pretty fucking stupid given the quality of English managers out there.

Apparently I forgot about Steve McClaren, forgive me

Yep. Pretty much sums it up. I think the problem is we look at manager's when what the England job needs is a coach. 

4 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

The way the ITV commentary team / the English media in general / the cretinous fans built up Jack Grealish before last night was laughable. 

Then he was welcomed with a lovely O'Donnell reducer! 

Anyone have a clip or GIF of that incident, by the way?! 

Found it myself! 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jockey said:

Yep. Pretty much sums it up. I think the problem is we look at manager's when what the England job needs is a coach. 

I always think of those words as synonymous in football. I understand there is meant to be a difference but I do think the best managers tend to be the best coaches as well. England needs someone that's flexible to his talent, like any side does to be fair. The ones we've talked about were all too shoehorned into their own styles to ever think about changing it. If I was making the decisions I'd honestly approach Rodgers for this particular England side. I think he's pretty much the perfect man to get enough out of the team for short competition whereas his tactics over a full club season get found out. I know he's not English but NI is still part of the UK so it ticks the boxes unless you're being really technical.

7 minutes ago, Jockey said:

I disagree with that really, you don’t have enough time to coach with international teams.

What you really need is a manager who can get all the players pulling the same way, and has a clear eye at selection. The coaching should already have been done by the time they are 25 year old professional footballers.

Although having said that...the main England national team problem for decades is that there is no set way of playing that has been instilled from coaches to players from youth to professional team level. Or if there is it is safety first conservative anti-football.

20 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

I disagree with that really, you don’t have enough time to coach with international teams.

What you really need is a manager who can get all the players pulling the same way, and has a clear eye at selection. The coaching should already have been done by the time they are 25 year old professional footballers.

Although having said that...the main England national team problem for decades is that there is no set way of playing that has been instilled from coaches to players from youth to professional team level. Or if there is it is safety first conservative anti-football.

I don't disagree with your original assessment but your final point to me is pretty much the whole problem. There is no set way of playing, sure, but how can there be? All of these players have been coached and manged in very different ways for very different teams. Lately, and by that I mean for the last 10-15 years, England has largely set out to play a defensive sort of football as you said. It takes actual coaching to get the players that play for the best clubs in the world to switch to that mentality. Perhaps instead it's the mentality that needs changing, and that is on the manager.