You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Euro 2020(21)

Bjornebye

9 minutes ago, s(k)aturation said:

As we listen to and watch heroics, from days gone by and now (the rematch of "The Miracle of Bern" is to come, for instance, and with the Finns coming up again this evening)... the burgher-schlepped "locality" of the Euros is, more than ever I think, never lost on me.

In the days of Dragan Dzajic, the wizardly winger of "Jugoslavija", I went to "Croatia" as an 8-year-old, to visit my beautiful "Nazi" grandma, grandad, and my fabulous Uncle Tom, and never thought anything more of it...

... until times like these.  

@SasaS knows that people like my Grandpa, and perhaps even his, would end up in the slammer for a month, maybe three. singing this... but now, as Nationalism means less and less, and is more and more of a dirty word...

... these sorts of things, perhaps, come into their own a little more too.

So, for instance, as far as Croatia is concerned. "GO, FINLAND!"

Why Finland? Croatians don't hate Russians.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Why Finland? Croatians don't hate Russians.

Work with me on this, SasaS, or not, it's just a general observation about "The Shortest History of Europe" perhaps.  It's the best history book I've ever read, by the late, great Australian historian, John Hirst.  The book came into being when he lectured in London, and is a conglomeration of about 6-8 tutorials he gave there... unquestionably the best explanation of the "accident" of Europe coming into existence that I've ever read.

Anyway... forgive my alacrity, and obscurity.

This is the book, a must read I think... 

20210616_224234.jpg

1 minute ago, Tony Moanero said:

How long before this shit is over and done with? I’m getting increasingly pissed off with ITV messing around with the Coronation Street schedule, and just 15 minutes of regional evening news is rubbish.

Time to delve into your interminable, untouched stash of Coro videos from the 70s, Tone.

Its time you got filled in on the back-story... it will make watching next week's episodes, in 30 year's time, all the more fulfilling....

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

How long before this shit is over and done with? I’m getting increasingly pissed off with ITV messing around with the Coronation Street schedule, and just 15 minutes of regional evening news is rubbish.

You have every other day of the year to watch that - us poor Football fans have one month every two years. 

14 minutes ago, Jockey said:

Are you sure? It was Russia who supported Servia and in particular Karadzic. I know a couple of Croatians and they are too fussed on them.

I would say Croatians are probably wary of Russians, like everybody else is, but there is nothing like the hatred you can feel in Poland and other former Soviet satellites (mostly among the now middle aged population). Since the 1948 Tito-Stalin rift was mended, economic relations were largely in favour of ex-Yugoslavia (unlike between USSR and the Eastern block countries) so there was not so many reasons for a deeper historic animosity.

Russia sided with the Serbs in the ex-Yu wars , but that was not a particularly active position early on, maybe diplomatically more active later. There are historic ties between Serbia and Russia, but that was often an unrequited love, as Russia often picked Serbia's regional rival Bulgaria as their protege before the WWI.

So no particular love, but no special hatred either.

6 minutes ago, Jockey said:

You have every other day of the year to watch that - us poor Football fans have one month every two years. 

There's always YouTube, mate... and on YouTube, they won't even block you from watching it, like they might on here....

16 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Emre Can was great as Pacho in Narcos 

artworks-000248765583-wfl5qt-t500x500.jp

Bullshit, Pacho is way sexier than Emre Can

28 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I am never going to get over the fact that Finland have a player called Daniel O'Shaughnessy.

The vowel ratio is nowhere near acceptable, all Finns should be called Timo, Hannu, Markku or Juha. Anything else is unacceptable. 

14 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I would say Croatians are probably wary of Russians, like everybody else is, but there is nothing like the hatred you can feel in Poland and other former Soviet satellites (mostly among the now middle aged population). Since the 1948 Tito-Stalin rift was mended, economic relations were largely in favour of ex-Yugoslavia (unlike between USSR and the Eastern block countries) so there was not so many reasons for a deeper historic animosity.

Russia sided with the Serbs in the ex-Yu wars , but that was not a particularly active position early on, maybe diplomatically more active later. There are historic ties between Serbia and Russia, but that was often an unrequited love, as Russia often picked Serbia's regional rival Bulgaria as their protege before the WWI.

Unless, of course, you were in a gostijona in Osijek or some such Danubian place c.1950... and suggested to someone, over a couple of beers, that Tito and our beautiful country wouldn't stard a chance in a skirmish with Stalin.

Middle of the night... knock knock... laka noć.

18 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I realise that, not sure that Stalin and Tito were every anything more than Sheringham and Cole, played for the same side but basically didn't like each other. Russia refused Nato support for bombing didn't they? 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, s(k)aturation said:

Time to delve into your interminable, untouched stash of Coro videos from the 70s, Tone.

Its time you got filled in on the back-story... it will make watching next week's episodes, in 30 year's time, all the more fulfilling....

Luckily, I’ve got the Coronation Street 2000-2009 boxset still to watch.

52125309-9B3D-46EB-97B7-5E819C03B7FA.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jockey said:

I realise that, not sure that Stalin and Tito were every anything more than Sheringham and Cole, played for the same side but basically didn't like each other. Russia refused Nato support for bombing didn't they? 

They were both Communists, but Tito opened the borders relatively early in his rule, which was a major thing, and was overall less brutal (once his position was secure) and less dogmatic (once he began flirting with the West).

I think Russia's actions in Yugoslavia wars were always more about the big anti-NATO picture than they were specifically pro-Serbian. They were involved on the ground in the Kosovo crisis when they quickly moved in some paras of their own to stop James Blunt from feeling too safe in his tank. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Bit disappointed that this clash isn't known as the Vodka Derby.

No... but should Holland and Germany meet later in the piece as they normally do, it will be, as commemorated since WWII, the "Anne Frank Derby".