You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Euro 2020(21)

Bjornebye

Just now, Scott_M said:

Feel Hendry is getting some unfair stick for the 2nd goal, it was an incredible goal Schik. 

It’ll have to be some goal stopping that winning goal of the tournament.

Agreed. 

There's a lack of joy for football when you're picking on errors instead of celebrating the quality.

Happens far too much in Britain, especially.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Bit gutted. I’ve been sat here in my Scotland shirt, drinking Irun Bru & listening Deacon Blue. 

Didn’t think there was much it it. Czech’s took a good chance in the first half, scored a worldy in the second. Scotland should have scored at least 1.

Scotland are Wales without Bale.

Robbo was great, he’s so much better than his teammates it’s almost not true.

Yep Andy was fantastic,  if the rest of the team had half his ability and work ethic they'd be ok

27 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Unfortunately Scotland just dont have any quality except for Robbo. They look absolutely toothless up front.

Tierney was massively missed today. The partnership between him and Robbo is a massive part of Scotland's attacking game.

3 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Despite their performance, Im looking forward to the England Scotland game, will be like the old Home Internationals.

Do you think? Maybe it’s me but I just don’t think it has quite the same meaning these days. Scotland feels like a different place and maybe doesn’t need that win over the auld enemy in the same way any more

Cracking header for the opener followed by an absolute wondergoal for the second. Schick is not as schick as he's looked every time I've seen him play before. A better goal record at international level than at club level makes him the new Milan Baros for the Czechs.

The Scots need something from both their remaining games now, unless there is a scenario where getting only one win would be enough. It's not that big a surprise that they lost to the Czechs though. One, because they're Scotland, so not winning their opening game is a given. Two, Slavia Prague have a few players in the Czech squad, and Slavia absolutely schooled the Old Firm in Europe last season.

• Like 1

Guest Alex_K

Some shocking interpretations of a "wonder goal" here. A wonder goal is Torres shimmying past an entire, packed defence against Marseille in the blink of an eye, or Suarez' divine collection against Norwich. A wonder goal is not the opposition giving you several seconds to compose yourself in a few yards of space with the ball on the half-way before you boot it into a completely empty goal. That second goal falls 100% squarely upon that muppet Marshall - a very smart finish but one which in a million year should never be allowed to happen. An absolutely unforgivable display of keeping -- his head completely went with that positioning.

38 minutes ago, Champ said:

Do you think? Maybe it’s me but I just don’t think it has quite the same meaning these days. Scotland feels like a different place and maybe doesn’t need that win over the auld enemy in the same way any more

You'll be pleased to know an Ormskirk lad made the "Queen's Birthday" honours list down here this weekend though, Champ.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/john-skaro-11a2a81b/detail/recent-activity/shares/

13 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Some shocking interpretations of a "wonder goal" here. A wonder goal is Torres shimmying past an entire, packed defence against Marseille in the blink of an eye, or Suarez' divine collection against Norwich. A wonder goal is not the opposition giving you several seconds to compose yourself in a few yards of space with the ball on the half-way before you boot it into a completely empty goal. That second goal falls 100% squarely upon that muppet Marshall - a very smart finish but one which in a million year should never be allowed to happen. An absolutely unforgivable display of keeping -- his head completely went with that positioning.

So does that rule opposition mistakes/sleepiness out of any Goal of the Month contender?

I must tell Bob Wilson and Jimmy Hill to remove this one from the annals then.

(note the inch perfect pass from the Spurs defender to our Macca, in acres of space.)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Champ said:

oh I don't know.  Scotland are still playing football from a different generation, and no doubt the streets round Wembley will be covered in even more piss and vomit than is usual once men from Hemel Hempstead, Dartford and Glasgow struggle into kilts and launch enthusiastically into cheap lager.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stringvest said:

oh I don't know.  Scotland are still playing football from a different generation, and no doubt the streets round Wembley will be covered in even more piss and vomit than is usual once men from Hemel Hempstead, Dartford and Glasgow struggle into kilts and launch enthusiastically into cheap lager.

Reminiscences, romantic and heroic, from a bygone era, as could only be recounted by a man who has watched it all unfold from the very first, sweet encounter in 1872. 

Emperor Hadrian Stringvest, we salute thee.

11 minutes ago, skaro said:

You'll be pleased to know an Ormskirk lad made the "Queen's Birthday" honours list down here this weekend though, Champ.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/john-skaro-11a2a81b/detail/recent-activity/shares/

That’s nice of you to think about me but the whole honours system makes me die a little bit inside these days. The same with Jordan; I know he has done loads of good work and I can imagine his family being so proud but I just wish we had a more ‘grown up’ way of recognising such acts of selflessness and generosity that has nothing to do with empire or repayment for ‘services rendered’ to corrupt politicians 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

I could just as easily call this a shocking interpretation of "smart finish".

Although I like the addition of the word "very", because that's clearly important.

Incidentally, how many people called it a "wonder goal"?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Champ said:

That’s nice of you to think about me but the whole honours system makes me die a little bit inside these days. The same with Jordan; I know he has done loads of good work and I can imagine his family being so proud but I just wish we had a more ‘grown up’ way of recognising such acts of selflessness and generosity that has nothing to do with empire or repayment for ‘services rendered’ to corrupt politicians 

It was more the local reference and the "footbally" thing that I was referring to.

The actual Queen bit might as well be from a Corn Flake packet, I agree.

6 minutes ago, Anubis said:

It’s sad watching the continuing decline of Poland.

They not been the same since Hitler and Stalin pincered them in 1939, have they?

Although there was a heroic rearguard against the Germans by Lato, Gadocha, Deyna, Szarmach Tomaszewski and co in 1974.

• Upvote 1