You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Euro 2020(21)

Bjornebye

38 minutes ago, Chairman Meow said:

That's how every tournament they play in goes. Scrape a win and suddenly they are world beaters, then when they finally lose the same papers and pundits will be calling them worse than shit for underperforming when they've probably produced about par. 

Well they got beat by Croatia in semis at the world Cup a few years ago, so using some mental gymnastics England beating Croatia yesterday makes them at least the second best team in the world. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Did England really play that well yesterday? All the papers & pundits seem to think they were exceptional. Perhaps I was watching a different game?

I am hoping England win , albeit not massively bothered, but I had the Emperors New Clothes thoughts as well. 6 shots at goal, 2 on target , and the goal was probably against the run of play.

The way I saw it, Turkey were a poor side and Italy huffed and puffed needing an OG to set them on their way. They were described as sensational.

What I saw of the Holland Ukraine game last night was entertaining. Holland blew a 2 goal lead then Ukraine blew the draw in the last 5 minutes or so.

England played a clearly better side than Turkey in Croatia. I thought England played well but the UK sportswriters went overboard as usual. That Phillips had a very good game. Kane doesnt seem the same player to me playing deeper than when he's an out and out striker. Foden hit the post early on but then disappeared. England's defence didnt seem troubled at the back even with Walker and Mings in it.

Looking forward to watching the sweaties this avvie.

England struggled to move the ball from their back 6 to the front 4 except for a few long balls early doors. I put that down to the two holding players, Rice and Phillips. Phillips did one half decent thing all match but is now a world beater.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Did England really play that well yesterday? All the papers & pundits seem to think they were exceptional. Perhaps I was watching a different game?

5 live were wanking themselves silly this morning over the performance it was workmanlike nothing else in my opinion,  certainly nothing to get over excited about .

29 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

5 live were wanking themselves silly this morning over the performance it was workmanlike nothing else in my opinion,  certainly nothing to get over excited about .

The media doing what they always do.

Lots of ridiculous hyperbole over average performances against average teams then the world caves in as soon as we get found out . Expect Southgate to be sporting a donkeys head on the tabloid front pages in a couple of weeks.

1 minute ago, magicrat said:

The media doing what they always do.

Lots of ridiculous hyperbole over average performances against average teams then the world caves in as soon as we get found out . Expect Southgate to be sporting a donkeys head on the tabloid front pages in a couple of weeks.

Edit . Predict Pickford will be the villain of the piece when it goes tits up 

4 hours ago, Aventus said:

Well they got beat by Croatia in semis at the world Cup a few years ago, so using some mental gymnastics England beating Croatia yesterday makes them at least the second best team in the world. 

Claimed nobody, anywhere.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Thinking back 20 years or so, I'm sure England had plenty of senior players at top clubs; now the squad is padded out by Wolves, Leeds, Everton, Villa and West Ham. It's all very uninspiring. 

Compared to the 96 team this lot are a team of individuals, mostly average players at best. 

21 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Come on Robbo lad.

I find it much easier to support the other home nations. I don't know why that is. 

I’ve found myself feeling warmer towards England just to spite all those booing clowns

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Butch said:

Compared to the 96 team this lot are a team of individuals, mostly average players at best. 

That 96 team was one of the best England sides since 1966. This side is really young and lacks quality in quite a few spots keeper and cb to name 2. But give them some credit they were playing probably the strongest opponents in the group and won without too much stress. Also the first time that they have won their opening game at the Euros. I was just happy to see none of our lads on the pitch