You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Euro 2020(21)

Bjornebye

5 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Sterling wank fest incoming. Personally I thought he was very nearly average today. 

Apart from Phillips, it’s been an incredibly average game. 

I don’t know if England have intentionally tried to stifle Croatia but Croatia were so sluggish in possession. No tempo to their play at all.

I think if England had gone for it, they could have won by a very comfortable score line.

Just now, Scott_M said:

Apart from Phillips, it’s been an incredibly average game. 

I don’t know if England have intentionally tried to stifle Croatia but Croatia were so sluggish in possession. No tempo to their play at all.

I think if England had gone for it, they could have won but a very comfortable score line.

England did go for it for the first half but they were never going to keep the pace up in the heat after they couldn't score. 

Just now, magicrat said:

England did go for it for the first half but they were never going to keep the pace up in the heat after they couldn't score. 

For sure, the first 25 minutes. The rest of it was very pedestrian. 

2 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Kalvin Phillips was good. But, two average teams (Croatia probably below average) separated by the one little bit of quality in the whole game. 

England will get out of the group and then get dicked by the first half decent team they face. 

Just like death and taxes…. 

5 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Kalvin Phillips was good. But, two average teams (Croatia probably below average) separated by the one little bit of quality in the whole game. 

England will get out of the group and then get dicked by the first half decent team they face. 

In times of such changes, we've never known before, in society, in the game we love, or at least used to, it's nice to think there will be one constant that everyone can enjoy.

2 hours ago, Anubis said:

They take the decision making out of the hands of traumatised individuals. Tell them it’s postponed, not to worry, and we’ll speak again in 48 hrs when you’ve had time to try and process what happened a little. 

Finland and Denmark are due to play their second games on Wednesday and Thursday. So, UEFA should ask them on Monday what they want to do about their first game? 

Dull game. Croatia barely offered anything, England toiled a fair bit too. All the better moments came from England, as few and far between as they were. The two main Sterling moments encapsulated him perfectly. When he has time to think, he fluffs his lines. He couldn't overthink it for the goal, but he had so much time with his other chance that he effort belonged at Twickenham. Which is probably where that ball ended up.

It's hard to know if Croatia are that weak or whether they just had an off-day. Caleta-Car was Lovrenesque at the back, the full backs offered little in attack, and Kovacic in midfield continues to be a player who is very technically adept but tends to do little of significance out there. He's like a winger converted to playiin midfield because his lack of pace makes him useless out wide.

These early games when the day is at its hottest are never going to have any tempo about them. The players know they need to conserve energy so passing will always be static, cautious and predictable.

26 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

Finland and Denmark are due to play their second games on Wednesday and Thursday. So, UEFA should ask them on Monday what they want to do about their first game? 

UEFA has put a covid protocol in place that allows for games to be played 48 hrs later. They could have used that for instance. 
Their first priority should be the people, not the tournament and their money making machine. 

btw I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to do here, but seems totally futile to engage with you on this, you think it is fine to value the tournament over the people, I don’t. 

• Upvote 1