You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Euro 2020(21)

Bjornebye

Sorry, Joseph, but it’s the very definition of being pressurised.

Sorry you’ve all just stood and watched a team mate effectively collapse, to all intents and purposes die, and be resuscitated on the pitch, but if you can either just finish it now or by 12 tomorrow then that’s good for us.

the last sentence is a very diplomatic way of saying their heads were fucked. And why wouldn’t they be. They’d just gone through a very traumatic situation and were being told “yeah, sorry to hear that but just get on with it.”

13 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

I don't know if something's lost in translation, but it doesn't sound quite as bad as you suggest:

Hjulmand described how the players agreed to wait until they were sure Eriksen was OK, and then chose between the two options they were offered: either to carry on or to return on Sunday at 2pm. “There was no pressure from Uefa to play tonight,” he said. “We knew we had two options. The players couldn’t imagine not being able to sleep tonight and then having to get on the bus and come in again tomorrow. Honestly it was best to get it over with. Of course you can’t play a game with such feelings and what we tried to do was incredible.”

- Vi blev præsenteret for to muligheder. Kampen skulle spilles færdig i aften (lørdag, red.) eller søndag kl. 12.00.

- Det var totalt uoverskueligt for spillerne at tage hjem på hotellet, ikke sove hele natten og så starte bussen for at køre tilbage søndag og spille kampen færdig.

- Helt ærligt handlede det om at få det overstået. Det var, hvad spillerne valgte sammen, siger en meget bevæget Kasper Hjulmand på pressemødet efter nederlaget.

-> We got 2 choices. The game should be finished tonight or tomorrow Sunday at 12. 
it wasn’t something the team could face to go back to the hotel, not sleep all night and then start the bus to get back here and play n Sunday. 
to tell you the truth, we just wanted to get it over with. That was what the players chose. Says Kasper Hjulmand at the press conference after the defeat. 

those was his exact words. 

• Upvote 2

Utterly bizarre. Shaw and Chilwell have played really well this season, ridiculous they are being shifted so there is basically a set piece taker in the side.

Mings was dreadful in the last friendly, that type of performance should play you out of the team. 

6C07DB52-780C-4DA8-94E5-74E53B023FB4.png

5 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Every national FA involved should sign a letter of condemnation of UEFA’s behaviour. They need a shot across the bows.

Absolutely disgraceful that UEFA even considered it acceptable to ask did they want to play on, never mind allow it. Zero consideration of what every single player went through, it was obvious to everyone that that neither team was in a fit state to play.

Completely disgusting and UEFA should be universally derided for that.

25 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Sorry, Joseph, but it’s the very definition of being pressurised.

Sorry you’ve all just stood and watched a team mate effectively collapse, to all intents and purposes die, and be resuscitated on the pitch, but if you can either just finish it now or by 12 tomorrow then that’s good for us.

the last sentence is a very diplomatic way of saying their heads were fucked. And why wouldn’t they be. They’d just gone through a very traumatic situation and were being told “yeah, sorry to hear that but just get on with it.”

Correct.  Even Fabregas and Richards said they would not have been able to continue the game as the Danes did.  I actually found the honesty from both of them refreshing.

38 minutes ago, DJLJ said:

- Vi blev præsenteret for to muligheder. Kampen skulle spilles færdig i aften (lørdag, red.) eller søndag kl. 12.00.

- Det var totalt uoverskueligt for spillerne at tage hjem på hotellet, ikke sove hele natten og så starte bussen for at køre tilbage søndag og spille kampen færdig.

- Helt ærligt handlede det om at få det overstået. Det var, hvad spillerne valgte sammen, siger en meget bevæget Kasper Hjulmand på pressemødet efter nederlaget.

-> We got 2 choices. The game should be finished tonight or tomorrow Sunday at 12. 
it wasn’t something the team could face to go back to the hotel, not sleep all night and then start the bus to get back here and play n Sunday. 
to tell you the truth, we just wanted to get it over with. That was what the players chose. Says Kasper Hjulmand at the press conference after the defeat. 

Peter Schmeichel was on bbc 5 live earlier criticising UEFA for this, if you want to hear that and also the feed that most tv stations was using, which is the one that was zooming in on Christian Eriksen getting chest compressions etc. was an UEFA controlled ‘world feed’.  The more I hear about these cunts the more despicable they are. Utter utter scum. 

What are the Finns saying? Were they pressured into playing too?

I was shocked to see game was resumed so soon but simply cannot believe someone can pressure you into playing after what happened. You refuse and go public with what they are trying to do to you and everybody will be on your side. This day and age this is all that matters.

15 hours ago, Red Shift said:

I can’t imagine the amount of tests he’ll be going through before stepping onto a footy pitch again. I’m trying to remember the name of the football player from years ago with the hole in the heart?

The doctor doing all of Spurs medical was being interviewed and they say the go through a full examination each year. He said that until 2019, when he last examined Eriksen, he had perfect heart condition, obviously couldn’t say if something had happened later on. He said he was worried he had missed something, after what happened yesterday, so went over all the test results again and still the same result, perfect heart tests. 

https://ekstrabladet.dk/sport/fodbold/landsholdsfodbold/hjertelaege-eriksen-havde-perfekte-hjertetest-i-tottenham/8628275

1 hour ago, DJLJ said:

Those words are the only ones that really matter, when understanding how UEFA saw the situation.

11 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Russia is a vast country, with a fair interest in football, isn't it? 

Why no random discovery of a new superstar? It seems to defy the odds of not uncovering an Owen, or a Rooney, nevermind a Messi or Ronaldo. 

Probably lack of facilities and resources is my guess? For all the faults of Communist Russia,sport was high on their agenda even if was for propaganda purpose as much as anything. A lot of Russia is now a soulless wasteland devoid of social organisations such as sports clubs. Many stand abandoned and ruined in former USSR countries too.

25 minutes ago, Anubis said:

#southgateout trending on Twitter because of his rumoured team selection…

Looking belatedly at an article in a free newspaper magazine about the Euros and trying to compute why Croatia are 6/1 against when they have Modric , Rebic, Kramaric, Orsic, Kovacic, Perisic and Vlasic ( and probably a load of other decent ic's )

4 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Looking belatedly at an article in a free newspaper magazine about the Euros and trying to compute why Croatia are 6/1 against when they have Modric , Rebic, Kramaric, Orsic, Kovacic, Perisic and Vlasic ( and probably a load of other decent ic's )

Sounds a bit icky….

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, sir roger said:

How could you forget Big Dejan?

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Anubis said:

Denmark should just think about packing up and walking out of the tournament. Shameful if they came under UEFA pressure to play so soon. You could see how badly their players were affected by the incident at the time. National FA’s need to show some balls and some solidarity.

Spot on. I amazed they played last night - I think I've I'd have been offered just 2 choices I'd have told them to fuck right off. 

2 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

I don't know if something's lost in translation, but it doesn't sound quite as bad as you suggest:

Hjulmand described how the players agreed to wait until they were sure Eriksen was OK, and then chose between the two options they were offered: either to carry on or to return on Sunday at 2pm. “There was no pressure from Uefa to play tonight,” he said. “We knew we had two options. The players couldn’t imagine not being able to sleep tonight and then having to get on the bus and come in again tomorrow. Honestly it was best to get it over with. Of course you can’t play a game with such feelings and what we tried to do was incredible.”

Isn't it exactly as was described. They were offered 2 choices and once they knew Erikson was alive , they picked the worst of the 2. I feel pretty sure if you offered both team the 0-0 at the time as the final score, they'd have taken it. 

48 minutes ago, SasaS said:

What are the Finns saying? Were they pressured into playing too?

I was shocked to see game was resumed so soon but simply cannot believe someone can pressure you into playing after what happened. You refuse and go public with what they are trying to do to you and everybody will be on your side. This day and age this is all that matters.

Well it's not that incredible. It was exactly what happened at heysel 36 years ago. 

• Upvote 1

Thankfully, the player is recovering and hopefully, will make a full recovery. I guess we'll never know what caused this. The player is exceptionally fit, has been subject to regular fitness and health tests, hasnt been overplayed in the domestic season by all account and to mere mortals like us, we dont or cannot comprehend the levels of stress the players are under in these games.

It is a truely shocking decision on the part of UEFA to get this game played at such short notice. I dont think any normal, compassionate person would have objected if the Danish and Finnish players had said 'you know what, fuck it. We're not in a frame of mind to play a game for 2 or 3 days and even then, we're not sure if we can.'

The other troubling question is the tv coverage of the actual incident. Although I had the game on, I wasnt really watching it closely. I didnt see the player go down and was only aware play had stopped. I thought it was another concussion stoppage when a close up showed what looked a semi conscious player receiving treatment. I realised it was more than that when tv showed very distressed players standing around and my concern ramped up when I saw he was being given vigorous chest pumps.

I said to the old girl something serious here, the player's having chest compressions, at which point she stopped what she was doing (reading) and watched the pictures.

I think the local tv director was out of order repeatedly trying to get close up pictures. Zooming in repeatedly on his distressed wife was every bit as bad as the US tv zooming in on the distressed families after the space shuttle Challenger destruction or the coverage of the Heysel and Hillsbrough disasters, in fact any other disaster unfolding.

34 minutes ago, Anubis said:

#southgateout trending on Twitter because of his rumoured team selection…

Obviously a ridiculous #trend, but it does seem a somewhat odd line up.

Pickford

Walker Stones Mings Trippier

Phillips Rice

Foden Mount Sterling

Kane

15 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Probably lack of facilities and resources is my guess? For all the faults of Communist Russia,sport was high on their agenda even if was for propaganda purpose as much as anything. A lot of Russia is now a soulless wasteland devoid of social organisations such as sports clubs. Many stand abandoned and ruined in former USSR countries too.

As far as I recall, Russians as a nation are not all that interested in football, their main sport was always hockey. Even yesterday when their team was trying to get back in the game, the fans were amusing themselves doing the Mexican wave.

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

Spot on. I amazed they played last night - I think I've I'd have been offered just 2 choices I'd have told them to fuck right off. 

Isn't it exactly as was described. They were offered 2 choices and once they knew Erikson was alive , they picked the worst of the 2. I feel pretty sure if you offered both team the 0-0 at the time as the final score, they'd have taken it. 

Well it's not that incredible. It was exactly what happened at heysel 36 years ago. 

I think that is the key part.

5 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I think that is the key part.

I'm not sure I follow. You mean because it was 36 years ago, they cease to be cunts? The organisation is corrupt and full of self interest from top to bottom. It's like saying the Tories are alright because they can't still be cunts 30 years after thatcher. 

• Upvote 1