You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Euro 2020(21)

Bjornebye

4 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Are you on about the sub Italy brought on? Emile's lad? Bernard Heskey. 

Yeah Chiesa

i loved that Fiorentina side of the mid to late 90s

I know he joined them late but Rui costa,Batitsuta,Chiesa,Balbo,Edmundo,Toldo,di Livio,Mijatovic

Very good performance by Italy. Solid in defence, composed in midfield, and both mobile and Immobile in attack! Insigne's goal reminded me of us - winning possession in an advanced position, Gini and Mo moving it quickly to Bobby, who picks out the onrushing Sadio to place the ball into the far corner. Historically, Italy haven't been a side that plays on the front foot, but there has been a quite noticeable change since they won the World Cup in 2006. They haven't always got it right and have got knocked out of tournaments early since then, or just not qualified at all, but there has been a change in emphasis. Also, Mancini is doing what Conte used to do with them, picking players to fit how he wants to play instead of shoehorning the biggest names into the starting XI.

Don't read too much into the Turks and their display, as they are one of those teams that stinks out a tournament in their opening game yet still improves enough to sneak out of their group. Every tournament has at least one of those. As the 4 best 3rd-placed teams can reach the knockouts, they'll still have a say. They definitely have to use the ball a lot better and try to gain some forward momentum though.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Elite said:

England have under-achieved massively in major tournaments. It doesn't appear to matter how many great players they have at any one point, as the mentality is perpetually broken and they don't have a consistent style of play or identify. The emphasis has always been shoehorning big name players into the side over an effective system. The team in  2004 was immense on paper but due to poor tactics never fulfilled its potential.

If that team was a club side, they'd have won the lot.

DdWBReaXUAEyFzo.jpg

Shit keeper

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Medieval stuff from Turkey.  Big crowd behind them in Baku though, can't see a repeat of that shite.  

Italy good, but in grave danger of being torpedoed over the top with Mbappe or other decent pacy players.  

They'll start a lot deeper against the likes of France, Portugal or even England, you'd imagine. 

That and turn on the shithousery, which they didn't need at all against Turkey. 

The full backs are quite quick, and Barela and Locatelli aren't slow either. They've constructed a nice team to protect the slow centrebacks. 

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

They'll start a lot deeper against the likes of France, Portugal or even England, you'd imagine. 

That and turn on the shithousery, which they didn't need at all against Turkey. 

The full backs are quite quick, and Barela and Locatelli aren't slow either. They've constructed a nice team to protect the slow centrebacks. 

Spinazzola didn’t strike me as being particularly fast or nimble to me, but that was the first and only time I ever watched him play, so there’s a good chance I’m wrong here.

23 hours ago, Elite said:

England have under-achieved massively in major tournaments. It doesn't appear to matter how many great players they have at any one point, as the mentality is perpetually broken and they don't have a consistent style of play or identify. The emphasis has always been shoehorning big name players into the side over an effective system. The team in  2004 was immense on paper but due to poor tactics never fulfilled its potential.

If that team was a club side, they'd have won the lot.

DdWBReaXUAEyFzo.jpg

It looks great on paper (James apart) but they played 4-4-2 with no natural holding midfielder and Scholes on the left wing. Eriksson just tried to force his best players on to the pitch in a system that would always get found out at some point.

1 hour ago, Turkish Delight said:

It looks great on paper (James apart) but they played 4-4-2 with no natural holding midfielder and Scholes on the left wing. Eriksson just tried to force his best players on to the pitch in a system that would always get found out at some point.

The foundations were great and with a few tweaks it could have been a great side. They also had Owen Hargreaves, Nicky Butt and Joe Cole in the squad, so one of those could have created a bit more balance. Left midfield and goalkeeper were the biggest issues but no side is perfect and sometimes you need to sacrifice a star player (Lampard) for the good of the team.

10 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

Ingurland are really underestimating Croatia aren't they? Who knocked them out of the last World Cup?

It’s in England’s interests to come 2nd in the group anyway. Avoid the runners up of Germany, France and Portugal and likely get Poland or Sweden. 

1 hour ago, Turkish Delight said:

Isn't that what all of the England managers do?

45 minutes ago, Elite said:

The foundations were great and with a few tweaks it could have been a great side. They also had Owen Hargreaves, Nicky Butt and Joe Cole in the squad, so one of those could have created a bit more balance. Left midfield and goalkeeper were the biggest issues but no side is perfect and sometimes you need to sacrifice a star player (Lampard) for the good of the team.

Totally agree that the players were there to be successful in a different system. Eriksson was a weak link as manager in the same way Southgate is now.

4 hours ago, aRdja said:

Spinazzola didn’t strike me as being particularly fast or nimble to me, but that was the first and only time I ever watched him play, so there’s a good chance I’m wrong here.

You are. 

He's quick and can run all day. He's played wing back (and wide midfield) before.