You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Euro 2020(21)

Bjornebye

43 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Will be a real shame if England dont play attacking football. They have some of the best creative players in the tournament and have a great striker.

You would think anyone with half a brain would look at the squad and think they've got a really promising set of attacking midfielders and forwards, but a terrible defence.  Just pick as many of the good players as you can all operating around Kane up top. 

Instead Southgate will pick 3 crap central defenders along with two (not even attacking) full backs and play for set pieces.

He's got another two or three tournament failures in him though after getting to the world cup semi final.

4 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

You would think anyone with half a brain would look at the squad and think they've got a really promising set of attacking midfielders and forwards, but a terrible defence.  Just pick as many of the good players as you can all operating around Kane up top. 

Instead Southgate will pick 3 crap central defenders along with two (not even attacking) full backs and play for set pieces.

He's got another two or three tournament failures in him though after getting to the world cup semi final.

Pretty much nail on the head, despite England appearing to have a plethora of attacking options that pretty much any other manager would be thinking attack, attack, Southgate will stick resolutely to three at the back, two holding midfielders along with Kane and Rashford up front. It wouldn't surprise me if he stuck with Sterling too.

At Middlesbrough his reputation was for being a dull, unimaginative, defensive and predictable manager.

I never understand the great expectations around England. Apart from 66, England have been rubbish in nearly every major tournament. And they only won it in '66 because it was played at home and had some dodgy officials to help out. A totally overrated team, with the worst fans in football. 

29 minutes ago, Baltar said:

I never understand the great expectations around England. Apart from 66, England have been rubbish in nearly every major tournament. And they only won it in '66 because it was played at home and had some dodgy officials to help out. A totally overrated team, with the worst fans in football. 

England have under-achieved massively in major tournaments. It doesn't appear to matter how many great players they have at any one point, as the mentality is perpetually broken and they don't have a consistent style of play or identify. The emphasis has always been shoehorning big name players into the side over an effective system. The team in  2004 was immense on paper but due to poor tactics never fulfilled its potential.

If that team was a club side, they'd have won the lot.

DdWBReaXUAEyFzo.jpg

5 minutes ago, Elite said:

England have under-achieved massively in major tournaments. It doesn't appear to matter how many great players they have at any one point, as the mentality is perpetually broken and they don't have a consistent style of play or identify. The emphasis has always been shoehorning big name players into the side over an effective system. The team in  2004 was immense on paper but due to poor tactics never fulfilled its potential.

If that team was a club side, they'd have won the lot.

DdWBReaXUAEyFzo.jpg

That was a strong generation of players but they still wouldn't have won anything with that useless goalie!

England should have won in 2002 - but they were more interested in Brand Beckham and the Asian market. You play against 10 man Brazil, you have no left midfield/winger - you have the best crosser in the world and his indiscipline means he is constantly 2 yards from the centre trying to be the star. They let it happen because he was the big super star. 

2004 was another good chance, but they were unlucky there. 2006 would have been interesting as the team who got to the final were not fancied before hand. They just do everything wrong - we focus upon the individuals not the team, even now - Kane, Kane, Kane. The Germans with our team would win this tournament. 

23 minutes ago, Jockey said:

England should have won in 2002 - but they were more interested in Brand Beckham and the Asian market. You play against 10 man Brazil, you have no left midfield/winger - you have the best crosser in the world and his indiscipline means he is constantly 2 yards from the centre trying to be the star. They let it happen because he was the big super star. 

Same thing happened 6 months earlier in the final qualifier v Greece. He was lauded for a MOTM display, but he was anything but. His tactical indiscipline meant he was all over the pitch - leaving gaps down the right. And the last minute free kick was as soft as it gets.....and he duly delivered......sadly.

21 hours ago, Grinch said:

Last euros was great.  The bookies seemingly didn’t catch on how difficult it was not to qualify from your group.  Easiest Accra ever and a good price.

That was the only great thing about it mind you. All those games played for the majority of the sides to still end up in the knock outs is pointless.

Are you sure you mean the Euros and not the African cup of Nations ??

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, sir roger said:

Looking at the games to see who might score freely in the groups. Spain and Holland stood out so plunged a tenner on Gerard Moreno at 33's as Morata is shit. Couldn't justify Depay at only 12's so jumped on the Diogo bus.

Spain love a 4-5-1 and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he goes with Morata and Moreno doesn't start.

41 minutes ago, Haan'sThunderbolt said:

Same thing happened 6 months earlier in the final qualifier v Greece. He was lauded for a MOTM display, but he was anything but. His tactical indiscipline meant he was all over the pitch - leaving gaps down the right. And the last minute free kick was as soft as it gets.....and he duly delivered......sadly.

That is it in a nutshell. This gave him the licence to be a selfish cunt in 2002 and the FA were to busy counting the money. 

1 hour ago, Baltar said:

Absolute utter bollocks. The England team in 66 was rightly World Champions, Banks, Cohen, Moore, Charlton, Hunt, Greaves didnt make the team due to earlier injury. Yes, home advantaged helped but it did the same for virtually every host from inception to the 1990's I think. Dodgey officials? Behave.

Yes, mainly they flatter to deceive but where a whisker away from final appearances in Italy 90 and Euro 96.

But for some dodgey cooking in Mexico 1970, would have put Germany out and got at least to the semis.

England's problem has always been that they can never impose themselves against the good teams. They might have an early spell in the match where they play well, create a few chances and take the lead, but then they gradually revert back to being unable to keep possession, unable to stop themselves from getting pinned back, unable to do anything with the occasional set-piece they get, and unable to stop one of their Man Utd contingent from doing something daft.

6 minutes ago, John102 said:

Bit off topic but can anyone remember if it was the Euro top trumps that had the players drawn as caricatures or was it premier league ones. Looking about 96.

I can’t recall Top Trumps caricature footy cards but do remember these Promatch ones.

9785D4A9-C37C-423C-9408-00665CDE7591.jpeg

427F64B2-C289-4281-8D26-5AD40A14742A.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I can’t recall Top Trumps caricature footy cards but do remember these Promatch ones.

9785D4A9-C37C-423C-9408-00665CDE7591.jpeg

427F64B2-C289-4281-8D26-5AD40A14742A.jpeg

Thats the one. Nice one. Been racking my brains trying to find them. The top trumps thing took me down the wrong alley.

2 minutes ago, Trumo said:

England's problem has always been that they can never impose themselves against the good teams. They might have an early spell in the match where they play well, create a few chances and take the lead, but then they gradually revert back to being unable to keep possession, unable to stop themselves from getting pinned back, unable to do anything with the occasional set-piece they get, and unable to stop one of their Man Utd contingent from doing something daft.

What's the saying, there's no 'I' in team but their's a 'You' in cunt?

An old Scottish mate of mine once told me Scotland will always be poor because there had to be so many players from Rangers and Celtic, Hibs and Hearts with others making up the numbers. Then you had the division between the 'Anglos,' those players who played in England versus those who played in Scotland.

For years, England's problem has been there are too many cliques within the squad. Northern players v southern, players from teams that couldnt stand each other, chelsea, liverpool, united, arsenal. Then the also rans making up the numbers.

I remember an England game v Russia in one of the Euros. England were typically shite and there was what I thought was a telling incident picked up on camera near the touchline.

JB had the ball and bryan robson was nearby wanting the ball while Barnes was intent on going on one of his samba runs. 'Barnsey! Barnsey!' robson's shouting but JB wants to do his thing. 'Fucking hell, Barnsey, give me the fucking ball!' robson continues.

For starters that suggests to me there was friction between players in that squad. You wouldnt call a teammate 'Barnsey.' You'd only call them that because you didnt rate them or didnt like them. It's like when you were a kid and you were a player short for the playground footie so you'd just rope someone in. You didnt call them by their nickname, you just added the bit on the end of their name to make it sound abit more friendly.

Since the PL started, players of different clubs have got more tribal. They dont trust the other club players as their own. Venables and Robson to a greater degree, managed to overcome much of this with resulted in better tournament performances.

Some of the comments are good…

* I wonder what Dua Lipa makes of our defence.

* After that, Bonnie Tyler goes over Kieffer Moore’s strengths to the Wales team.

* Haven't you seen Bonnie Tyler's video compilation of Englands goalkeeping howlers from the last Euros? Its just totally clips of Joe Hart.

• Upvote 1

Not watched much of Italy lately but that team doesn't really spring off the page as that great. 

The age and lack of pace at CB is shocking Bonucci has looked shot for a while when i have seen him,far cry from the player at the world cup a while back and Chiellini is what 37 in a few weeks