Bjornebye

Greatest 80s Movie - Group C

Greatest 80s Movie - Group C  

52 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Pick Your Favourite Two

8 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Watched the directors cut of Das Boot in a posh cinema in the west end with really loud surround speakers. When the depth charges went off it was like being in a fucking submarine. Brilliant fun. 

I've been on a submarine (HMS Talent) but not at sea just alongside in HMS Drake, Plymouth for a look around. Not a job for the claustrophobic/sane. No surprise that most of the submariners I know are Scottish. 

talent-5.jpg

I also accidentally stumbled upon HMS Vanguard when it was in dry dock and fucking shit myself. I was walking through the dockyard and all of a sudden it was just there. Huge. 

vanguard1.jpg

Tough choice for me but in the end went for My Neighbour Totoro as it is such a heart-warming film - Spirited Away is better but not by much. Had to be Raiders after that even though Angel Heart and Das Boot are both excellent.

Platoon because I pulled arguably the fittest girl I've ever shagged in Millenium nightclub in Plymouth by standing with my arms held out to Barber Adagio for Strings with a bottle in each hand and she just came to me. I don't know if she came that night but I did and I have since about 38 times over her. 

39 if you ask me tomorrow. 

11 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I’m a huge fan of submarines. For a while there was an old U boat in Tranmere you could go on. 100% complete. I think they cut it up eventually so only bits are left now. 

Because they look like dildos I expect. 

5 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

And we’re back. 

Oh for fuck sake Baroness Kurtz, it was a joke. 

How did you kill the old dear in the shed in the end anyway? 

1 hour ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I’m a huge fan of submarines. For a while there was an old U boat in Tranmere you could go on. 100% complete. I think they cut it up eventually so only bits are left now. 

U-534. It's at Woodside Ferry Terminal. 

Mad Max 2 is the best film in the group and and Indiana Jones.

Honorable mention: Das Boot for the sake of balance with Indiana. 

8 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Oh for fuck sake Baroness Kurtz, it was a joke. 

How did you kill the old dear in the shed in the end anyway? 

That's why the shed is there. She's underneath it.

I went to see Blue Velvet at a retrospective once and someone laughed at a particularly Lynchian line of dialogue and then some other people laughed during the next scene. By the end the entire cinema was laughing at almost every line, we were falling out of our chairs. I don't think that was what Lynch intended.  Also, it was some time ago and I will have to see it again, but that was really like the kid from The Emperor's New Cloths, previously, I saw it as an intriguing dark thriller and that experience was like some deconstructive process which turned it into a preposterous peace of pretentious crap in front of our eyes.

Or maybe someone sabotaged the ventilation system.

3 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

Only 4 votes for Field of Dreams.

”If you build it, they will come”

But not from the GF...

Love that film but it's pipped out by a few snorters here.

• Upvote 1