You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New CL format question

JustTosh

OK, I need clarification.

In the shadow of this ESL thing UEFA hurried and made a new CL format.

If I’ve got this right from 1924 the CL is apparently going to be played with 36 teams in one big league where you’ll meet not all the other 35 teams but 10 of them (who btw decides who’s playing who?). After that the 8 best are qualified for the ”last 16”-play off with the teams placed 9-24 going through a new qualifying round to decide the reaming 8? Is this correct?

To qualify for this new CL tournament which has 4 more teams in it, 2 will come from some leagues not being the top 5-6, and two spots will be awarded to teams with the highest UEFA rank with no regard to how they ended their domestic league, i.e. if we ended 17th i n the league in 2023 we’d probably be qualified through UEFA coefficient? Is that right?

If anyone knows for sure I’d be grateful for an answer.

16 minutes ago, JustTosh said:

If I’ve got this right from 1924 the CL is apparently going to be played with 36 teams in one big league where you’ll meet not all the other 35 teams but 10 of them (who btw decides who’s playing who?). After that the 8 best are qualified for the ”last 16”-play off with the teams placed 9-24 going through a new qualifying round to decide the reaming 8? Is this correct?

To qualify for this new CL tournament which has 4 more teams in it, 2 will come from some leagues not being the top 5-6, and two spots will be awarded to teams with the highest UEFA rank with no regard to how they ended their domestic league, i.e. if we ended 17th i n the league in 2023 we’d probably be qualified through UEFA coefficient? Is that right?

Somehow I don't think you got that right...

15 minutes ago, DJLJ said:

Somehow I don't think you got that right...

Maybe not, but the ESL comedy certainly took a lot of attention from it. If I'm right about the format, and I'm not sure I am, it's horrendous. But nobody seems to care too much

You've got it right except to pick up one of the two extra CL places you'll have to have qualified for the EL (or maybe the new EC will be enough - not sure about that). So either top six or top 7. 

The 10 teams you play are selected by UEFA based on seedings/coefficients so everybody supposedly has a roughly equal task. Not sure if the final selection is by ballot but probably I would have thought. 

I think the new format is interesting and should cut out the dead games we see in the current groups.  Clubs won't be relaxing or giving up  until right at the end of their ten game schedule.

it'll take a lot more effort and games to win than the current set-up and squads will have to be deeper to cope with it and the Prem. 

4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

It's a shit format.

Why? It's unwieldy but nearly every game will have something riding on it unlike the current format where once you've got ten points in the group you can coast. 

1 hour ago, JustTosh said:

Ask an Evertonian.

So you'll get all the big clubs taking points off each other and the middling clubs taking ore points from the lower mid table. 

Sounds shite. 

If a team lose their first few games they'll just give up knowing they won't be getting through. Of if they win their first 6 or 7 they can start manipulating  lresults

Don’t have the CL, EL or Conference at the start of the season, instead clubs just qualify “for Europe”.

64 clubs. 16 groups of 4, playing on alternate weeks.

or 

96 clubs. 16 groups of 6 playing on alternative weeks. 

Group winners = CL.

Runners Up = EL.

3rd = Conference.

4th and below - Better luck next year. 

Knock outs after Xmas.

Stops playing crying over not playing in the CL because unless your club is complete shite, you’ll qualify “for Europe”. 

Makes the domestic cups more entertaining because they carry a European place, they have the possibility of CL. 

Makes the group stages more interesting because you have to win your group to compete for the CL. 

There would then be better sides entering the EL and Conference, elevating the quality of those tournaments.

Easy this. I should run UEFA. 

2 hours ago, Lee909 said:

So you'll get all the big clubs taking points off each other and the middling clubs taking ore points from the lower mid table. 

Sounds shite. 

If a team lose their first few games they'll just give up knowing they won't be getting through. Of if they win their first 6 or 7 they can start manipulating  results

Seems like its ultimately just uefa manipulating it so they can have as many big teams playing each other as possible to maximise TV money, without them being in danger of missing out on the knockout stages. 

As it stands a big team can have a couple of injuries to important players at the wrong time, lose a couple and finish 3rd in the group, with a 'lesser' team finishing 2nd.

With this layout of bigger groups it gives teams more time to string a couple of wins together to try and qualify, and they could even finish as low as 24th and still have a chance of getting to the knockouts via an extra playoff round. 

Absolute turd, remember Klopp slating the super league because it would be boring playing the same teams every year? That's exactly what this is going to turn into.

There's a chance we could play the same team 5 times.

Why have all of the teams in one group, ranked against each other when their fixtures aren't comparable? If they want to increase the fixtures then have groups of 6 so at least the league makes sense at the end.

Why play each team once instead of home and away? 

Fucking pricks

14 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Seems like its ultimately just uefa manipulating it so they can have as many big teams playing each other as possible to maximise TV money, without them being in danger of missing out on the knockout stages. 

As it stands a big team can have a couple of injuries to important players at the wrong time, lose a couple and finish 3rd in the group, with a 'lesser' team finishing 2nd.

With this layout of bigger groups it gives teams more time to string a couple of wins together to try and qualify, and they could even finish as low as 24th and still have a chance of getting to the knockouts via an extra playoff round. 

Absolute turd, remember Klopp slating the super league because it would be boring playing the same teams every year? That's exactly what this is going to turn into.

There's a chance we could play the same team 5 times.

Why have all of the teams in one group, ranked against each other when their fixtures aren't comparable? If they want to increase the fixtures then have groups of 6 so at least the league makes sense at the end.

Why play each team once instead of home and away? 

Fucking pricks

Two clubs with good UEFA coefficient qualifying even though they didn’t in their domestic league? Sorry, no can do for me that. ESL light. Only difference is UEFA gets the dosh.