You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Burnley 0 Liverpool 3 (May 19 2021)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

Almost there now and this one was refreshingly stress free for the most part. The West Brom game had been torturous but this was ok really. At least the second half was.

That goal just before half time was massive as prior to that the first half had been a familiar tale of missed chances and frustration. Going ahead just before the break is always a nice bonus, but especially so when the pressure is on.

Even before the goal I wasn’t especially unhappy with how the half went though. Maybe I’m in a minority there but I thought we were doing ok. Defensively we had some wobbles and we gave up a couple of good opportunities with basic balls over the top, so that was a concern and some of our passing left a lot to be desired. So while I didn’t think we were playing great, we had some big, big chances that we fluffed so there was goals in this for us if we stopped being shit.

Had we converted a couple of those great chances then would people (specifically Sky) really have been talking about how poor we’d been? I don’t think so, because we weren't bad at all. Goals change the narrative though and too often this season our finishing has been so risible that it’s made the performances seem worse than they probably were. 

It’s not so bad when it’s the keeper having a worldie, but most of the time we just don’t even hit the target and that was our problem again. It started early too. Mo had a shot blocked by Ben Mee after Robbo sent him clear, but looking at the replay I think that shot was headed nearer the corner flag than the goal.

Tarkowski did later the same with Sadio although I think that one may have been on target. The Burnley defenders are great at that, as we've seen to our cost at Anfield a couple of times. Of course they also had Nick fucking Pope having the games of his career behind them, which also helps. Thankfully he wasn't there to fuck our shit up this time.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• dave u pinned this topic

I really really hope and pray that we do Palace and that fucking fake Hodgson. 

I want it for the lads as much as myself because i really love them and what they achieved for us all over the last few years and for a while i was starting to dislike them. That vanished though with Allison's header, not so much the goal (which was stunning) it was the celebration by the team afterwards. Made me realise they do care. 

Just smash Palace and lets put this dog of a season behind us.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, NoelM said:

I think part of Robbos (and the whole left side) attacking issue is that he's been babysitting the left-sided centre back, Williams or Kabak.

Partly this and partly being knackered from being over-played.  

• Upvote 2

So desperate for these lads to win on Sunday, they fucking deserve it after all the shit this season - physical assaults, illness, so many injuries, awful refereeing/VAR decisions, family bereavements etc.

One of the many unwritten rules of football is: You can't touch the goalie....... unless he plays for Liverpool, in which case, fill yer boots, especially if you play for Burnley. At the risk of stealing Nat's thunder, there was the most blatant foul on Alisson immediately before his header off the line. Unlikely to have been given by VAR in the event of a goal, because that cunt Tiernely was on VAR....as he is on Sunday. As he was at OT. 

Marriner is referee on Sunday..... which he was a couple of years back when Bunrley scored direct from a corner in front of the Kop, with not one but two Burnley players fouling Alisson. See earlier point!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Assuming Virgil is back up and running next season, it's Nate first, then Rhys and Kabak I want alongside him. Gomez and that other permacrock fella whose name I've forgotten, oh yeah, Matip, can bollocks off. 

And yes @DaveT, absolutely blatant foul on Ali that led to Nate's clearance off the line. And you're also right that no way would VAR have called it. Not even a word from JC or the other gobshite pundits. Disgraceful. Truly. 

Nice report.

Wouldn't be surprised if we fail on Sunday but are saved by either Villa or Spurs, or both.

Us playing 1-1 against Palace, Leicester doing the same against Spurs, and Villa beating Chelsea? It would give us a bizarre 3rd place.

There was a better atmosphere when Sky were just playing the fake noise. At least there were some songs in that.

Was saying exactly the same thing to my lad. After booing the players taking the knee the only sounds you could hear were booing and orc like “Eeurgh” noises. They actually broke out into the “Come on Burnley” shout for the first time about 20 seconds before Bobby lashed in the first goal and then they shut up again. 

tumblr_petrexKzBb1r59rp1o2_r1_500.gifv

“Eeeuurrghh”

• Upvote 1

Good report Dave although my stress levels were through the roof with this one. Oddly, I had more concern about this one than Palace at home. If we cannot beat Palace with 10,000 on, we dont deserve to get the CL.

Nat and Rhys had a few dodgey moments but fuck my life, Ive seen Virgil and Joe \ Joel struggle against some yard dog side yet you dont hear the moaning Nat and Rhys get.

Totally agree about the finishing, very, very poor.

• Upvote 2

Despite being without our senior centre backs for most of the season, and currently having FIVE out injured (if you can count Ben Davies) - we've still conceded fewer than Man U. And we've outscored Chelsea despite Mane and Firmino underperforming most of the season, and Chelsea spending £150m on forwards last summer. 

• Upvote 2

Getting 4th represents a lot more than CL footy next season.

It represents us finding ourselves again after a shocking start to 2021.

It represents the mentality monsters being back.

And most of all, it represents a big FUCK YOU to all other fans.

Get it done Redmen!

• Upvote 9

Same here @DaveT, blatant foul, but not confident it would have been called. 

Allison, like our forwards seems to have different rules applied to them when it comes to fouls. 

I thought Klopp waited as long as possible to make subs, because at 2 0 the late goal shouldn't have changed the game. 

It makes me think Milner will definitely start at the weekend. Ox scored immediately from the corner when Milner came on and they seemed to have a laugh about something.

Ox’s goal could have been scored by M’Bappé really. Full of confidence, powerful shot, so quick to shoot, really made up for the lad.

We’ll win Sunday, that’s what this team is all about !

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Arnaud said:

Ox’s goal could have been scored by M’Bappé really. Full of confidence, powerful shot, so quick to shoot, really made up for the lad.

We’ll win Sunday, that’s what this team is all about !

ECHO headline - Has Oxlaide-Chamberlain Just Saved Liverpool £180m

• Upvote 3

On 21/05/2021 at 03:23, JustTosh said:

Nice report.

Wouldn't be surprised if we fail on Sunday but are saved by either Villa or Spurs, or both.

Us playing 1-1 against Palace, Leicester doing the same against Spurs, and Villa beating Chelsea? It would give us a bizarre 3rd place.

Us thrashing Palace with the other 2 results the same would be a better third.

I’m also pleasantly surprised at how much I care again. I can accept losing but the manner of the defeats, incompetent/ corrupt officials, VAR ruining celebrations, empty stadiums, ESL legacy fans bullshit and Martin Tyler still being alive all made me not even bother watching the odd game. I still haven’t even watched the highlights of some them.

That Alison goal and interview was cathartic, wasn’t it. Made me remember that football still has something special in it, it just has a few more layers of bullshit added on to it these days.

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I don't want to see Hendo on the pitch unless it is for a ceremonial 5 minutes at the end of an easy win.

What is he's had the 2 to 3 weeks of full train Klopp usually demands after an injury?

1 hour ago, m0e said:

What is he's had the 2 to 3 weeks of full train Klopp usually demands after an injury?

Not sure mOe , but can't see the point of taking any chances on the last day of the season , when he won't be anywhere near match fit.

• dave u unpinned this topic