You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest 70's Movie Ever - The Final

Bjornebye

Greatest 70's Movie Ever - The Final (1 vote)  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for Your Favourite

• The Godfather
    • The Godfather 2
    • One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest
    • Star Wars

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 21/05/21 at 10:25

Great story, told better than it ever has been before. Tells a story that wouldn't really work in any other medium, particularly at the time. Excellent production, genuinely groundbreaking and ingenious in places. Shame they've digitally fucked it, but the original prints are still unbeatable.

Star wars

Godfather

Cuckoo's nest

G2

But, all of them are 10/10.

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

Great story, told better than it ever has been before. Tells a story that wouldn't really work in any other medium, particularly at the time. Excellent production, genuinely groundbreaking and ingenious in places. Shame they've digitally fucked it, but the original prints are still unbeatable.

Star wars

Godfather

Cuckoo's nest

G2

But, all of them are 10/10.

Completely arse about tit.

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

Out of curiosity, 10 people voting for One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest, how would you vote if it was Godfather vs. Star Wars?

The Godfather.

I like Star Wars but it doesn't belong in the same conversation as the other three.

Where Star Wars stands out from the other three candidates in this poll is that George Lucas created an entire universe and populated it with some of the most iconic characters in cinema. Surely even people who don't like Star Wars can recognise the sheer creativity and epic scope of Lucas's vision. He wasn't writing about the Mafia or a mental hospital, with all that real-world basis to start from; he had to lay the groundwork and invent a mythology before he could even tell a story.

• Upvote 4

46 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Where Star Wars stands out from the other three candidates in this poll is that George Lucas created an entire universe and populated it with some of the most iconic characters in cinema. Surely even people who don't like Star Wars can recognise the sheer creativity and epic scope of Lucas's vision. He wasn't writing about the Mafia or a mental hospital, with all that real-world basis to start from; he had to lay the groundwork and invent a mythology before he could even tell a story.

I was always impressed with his concept and how deliberate it all was (films are not sequels but installments of an epic which begins, is it should, in medias res) but I don't think creating the universe and characters was the most inventive part. He did rely on archetypes, which is well documented. And it is often more difficult creating something set in the real world. SW is a true phenomenon but not due to its fantastical elements.

George Lucas did not invent space, the Tunisian desert, costumes or special effects. Hope this clears a few things up. 

It's still a great film it's just not near the other 3. I like to judge a film on more than visuals... you know, a realistic storyline, actual acting prowess ..... call me old fashioned. 

47 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

George Lucas did not invent space, the Tunisian desert, costumes or special effects. Hope this clears a few things up. 

It's still a great film it's just not near the other 3. I like to judge a film on more than visuals... you know, a realistic storyline, actual acting prowess ..... call me old fashioned. 

Sir Alec Guinness' Obi-Wan Kenobi Costume To Feature In Kimono Exhibit -  Fantha Tracks