You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Crystal Palace (H) - Sunday 23rd May, 4:00pm

Trumo

Last season's fixture took place in late June 2020 - with the lockdown delaying our coronation as champions. Our first post-lockdown game had been a goalless draw at The Pit, with both sides struggling for rhythm and effectiveness. We put that right a few days later with an emphatic 4-0 win. Mo and Sadio were amongst the goals as usual, but the standouts were Trent's sublime free kick to open the scoring, and Fabinho's second half Exocet missile from miles out. The players were superb that night, and could chill out the following night as nearest challengers City (of sorts given how far back they were) travelled to Chelsea. The Rentboys won, and we were finally confirmed as champions of England for the first time in 30 years. Those were some heady days amid the general carnage of Covid life.

Palace visited Anfield in late November 1992 in the PL's inaugural season, and the erratic Reds came away with a resounding 5-0 win. Souness' Liverpool had been miles off the pace in the league, had been knocked out of Europe by Spartak Moscow, knocked out of the League Cup (by Wimbledon I think), and would soon be knocked out of the FA Cup (as holders too) by Bolton in a 3rd round replay at Anfield. Against Palace though, all was good as John Barnes returned to the starting line-up following a lengthy injury. McManaman got two, and there were goals for Marsh, Rosenthal and Hutchison. Just writing those names emphasises what a weak squad we had back then! Marsh's from distance was a cracker, and McManaman's second followed a howler from Palace goalkeeper Nigel Martyn. The commentary in this video sounds like it's off The Fast Show's Channel 9!

Charles & Eddie were riding high at the top of the charts for 2 weeks in November 1992 with 'Would I Lie To You?' Decent tune that is still popular today. I think they were one hit wonders because I can't recall them releasing anything else. They were knocked off the top by Whitney Houston, who stayed there for the rest of the decade. It's an early 1990s quirk that if a song featured in a film with Kevin Costner as the hero, the song stayed at number one for aeons in the UK.

So we are at the final push. We sit in 4th place with a healthy goal difference over 5th-placed Leicester. Don't freak out over permutations, although matching or bettering their result will complete the job and salvage something from this ordeal of a season. It's a far cry from mood around the Palace game last season, but we can achieve the same outcome. We know we can get a cracking result against Palace, as scoreline-wise the contest at Selhurst Park was our best result of the season. More of the same please. Complete the job, and then get a good rest.

This is the last of the match thread entries of this type for me. The 'Number One' idea was to celebrate our status as top dogs, and bring a little musical nostalgia. It wasn't hubris on my part, just an intent to enjoy the team's achievements rather than stressing over games as I used to do. I've enjoyed making these posts, but it might be necessary to go back to more tried and trusted methods. Maybe another theme might come to me over the summer, we'll see.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 12

Didnt enter the ballot for this as Ive got to take the old girl for her 2nd jab at 3pm. Hopefully back in time to catch the game on tv!

I think we need to win this 3 or 4 nil. Spurs look completely rudderless. Wouldnt sprise me if Leicester stick 4 passed them but hopefully not!

Make it so, reds.

14 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Well, what happens if they score 5??

Then what?

Scoring 5 and winning by 4?

That would still make no odds if we win even by just 1.

If they win by 5 clear goals then unless we won 5-4 they'd edge us on GS....5-4 to us and 5-0 to them would see us ahead on h2h.

5-4 to us and 6-1 to them would see them ahead on GS.

It starts to get silly doesn't it.

I think.

The one nobody is looking at is us drawing and chelsea losing with leicester winning....that sets us into a gd situation with chelsea which we would edge!

The 3 goal win tonight has really helped.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, rb14 said:

I'm going. Can't wait. Please. Just please. Just this one eensy weensy win. Promise I'll try to be good. Swear. 

Make some fucking noise!

I reckon the atmosphere will be boss.  One more win, Reds. Just one more.

Just get these beat, Reds. 

2 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

Eze's out, isn't he? I thought Benteke should have been sent off last night, too, which would have made things easier...

retrospective action? lashing out like that usually ends up with something happening. Yeah Eze is out for the rest of the season and most of next