You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Africa Thread

Bjornebye

23 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Hows things looking over there @Bruce Spanner

Just thoroughly depressing.

Not much you won't know, or guess at already.

Live rounds used, eight dead, many many more injured. Tear gas and 'sound' bombs used and beating handed out by the RSF (Janjaweed) across the city.

The fight goes on, sadly, people have gone too far to back down now, so it's a war of attrition.

Internationally they are completly isolated so something has to give eventually, but it's how much damage can be done before we see it.

A lot of the good people out here doing what I'm doing, or similar, are considering their time here and making contingency plans putting all the wider work we do at risk, which is just fucking bleak after all the initial optmism.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Lets hope none of them get killed 

We've got the Americans here banging heads together and the political prisoners are supposedly being freed today, though that might be to placate the protestors.

So something is happening and it's not as stagnent and bleak as it was last week.

Still the risk it'll get messy today, but most likely the weekend, so fingers crossed.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

We've got the Americans here banging heads together and the political prisoners are supposedly being freed today, though that might be to placate the protestors.

So something is happening and it's not as stagnent and bleak as it was last week.

Still the risk it'll get messy today, but most likely the weekend, so fingers crossed.

Hows today gone mate? Reading they've attacked protestors again 

8 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Hows today gone mate? Reading they've attacked protestors again 

Bleak.

Just as the Americans left they cut the internet and phones fully, we got ours back a couple of hours back, and let rip.

At least eighteen innocents shot dead, scores injured. They terrorised the hospitals again going ward to ward beating doctors and nurses helping the wounded.

Just fucking bleak, mate.

It’ll be the same today, tomorrow and the day after until they run out of bullets and victims, that’s how strongly the Sudanese believe in this, they won’t back down and go back to the old dictatorship.

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Bleak.

Just as the Americans left they cut the internet and phones fully, we got ours back a couple of hours back, and let rip.

At least eighteen innocents shot dead, scores injured. They terrorised the hospitals again going ward to ward beating doctors and nurses helping the wounded.

It’ll be the same today, tomorrow and the day after until they run out of bullets and victims, that’s how strongly the Sudanese believe in this, they won’t back down and go back to the old dictatorship.

What the fuck are the Americans achieving ?! 

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Bleak.

Bruce I hope you and your family are safe.

I was going to ask when Aiby government and the Eritreans attacked Tigray/the TPLF what was the view in Addis Ababa? or is that difficult to ascertain with differences between the groups?

16 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

What the fuck are the Americans achieving ?! 

Thats' the big question as everytime they're here things get worse the moment they leave, it's creating paranoia.

A collegue has just come in with hands stained with iodine from treating gun shot wounds, she had to be pushed over fences ect to get to houses to treat people as she'd be beaten if she was seen to be helping, fucking awful.

I was with the protests early on and it was calm(ish) but as soon as they cut the private network internet all hell broke loose, I assume they think it won't be documented if there's no interent they are that stupid.

5 minutes ago, Moctezuma said:

Bruce I hope you and your family are safe.

I was going to ask when Aiby government and the Eritreans attacked Tigray/the TPLF what was the view in Addis Ababa? or is that difficult to ascertain with differences between the groups?

Tigray make up about 7% of teh population and are largely being used by larger ethnic groups to support an attack on Addis.

The Tigray thing is a smokescreen for a larger tribal/political land grab.

The Americans are also with Aiby now and it looks like the worst of it is over and he will maintain power and start to restore normaility, with a few compromises made.

• 1 month later...

The EFF, a great bunch of lads

The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) is a South African left-wing to far-left pan-Africanist political party. It was founded by expelled former African National Congress Youth League (ANCYL) President Julius Malema, and his allies, in 2013. Malema is President of the EFF, heading the Central Command Team which serves as the central structure of the party. The party itself has been accused of fomenting anti-white and anti-Indian racism, and Malema himself was convicted in 2011 for singing the song "Shoot the Boer". It is currently the third-largest party in both houses of the South African Parliament.

This is my favourite anecdote I think

During a 2016 political rally, EFF leader Julius Malema stated, "We are not calling for the slaughter of white people, at least for now."

4 minutes ago, SasaS said:

So they are not some neoliberal militant wing after all?

I think they are for "economic freedom" in the same way that North Korea is a democratic people's republic. Seem to be cut from the same Marxist-Leninist cloth as Robert Mugabe.

21 hours ago, Strontium said:

The EFF, a great bunch of lads

This is my favourite anecdote I think

Oh there' s lots available for Julius. Google VFB banking fraud , its an eye opener. Living high on money fraudulently obtained. Sad thing is they have still to charge him despite having proof. The prosecutors went after easy targets not in the public eye.

• 3 months later...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/12/female-student-nigeria-beaten-to-death-sokoto

Female student in Nigeria beaten to death over ‘blasphemy’
Witnesses say police failed to disperse mob of fellow students in Sokoto who set victim on fire following WhatsApp comments

A female student in Nigeria was beaten to death and set on fire by fellow students who accused her of posting “blasphemous” statements in a WhatsApp group, two witnesses have said.

The school, located in Nigeria’s northwestern state of Sokoto, was immediately closed down following the attack.

Two suspects were arrested in connection with the murder of the student, who was identified as Deborah Samuel, said a spokesperson for the Sokoto state command.

“There is a WhatsApp group being used by the students, and her Muslim colleague student posted an Islamic piece. She criticised the posting,” said one of the witnesses, who declined to be named.

“She composed an audio that contains blasphemous comments on the prophet of Islam and posted in the group. That is what triggered everything.”

School security and police attempted to rescue the girl but were overwhelmed by the students, the witnesses said.