You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Africa Thread

Bjornebye

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/05/2021 at 06:26, Strontium Dog™ said:

A year after civil war erupted between the Ethiopian government and its Eritrean and ethnic militia allies on one side, and soldiers hailing from the northern region of Tigray on the other, a once-unlikely scenario looks like a real possibility: the rebels could topple the government.

This past week, Ethiopia declared a state of emergency amid fears that soldiers from the armed wing of the Tigray People's Liberation Front, or TPLF, would march through the streets of the capital, Addis Ababa. The federal armed forces have appealed to retired soldiers and veterans to rejoin the military. And they have asked residents of Addis Ababa to join the war effort with whatever weapons they have.

19 minutes ago, tokyojoe said:

Eerm, what's happening?

Long story, but the military has disolved the transitional government and placed child soldiers with assult weaponary on the street corners all over the city/country and these poor fuckers have had the empathy beat out of them and they are savage and shells of humans, it's the fucking janjaweed dishing out justice as they see fit.

Internet has been cut for two weeks and phone lines have been down the same, We've got an illegal fiber optic which bypasses the main grid so we have contact with the outside world. Flights have been cancelled sparodically, it's teetering on civil war.

They has been rejected both internally and internationally so they are fucked, but they will refuse to give in as they'll have to go to the ICC if they lose power. One of them is responsible for Dafur masacres and he's now second in charge here and they're brutal and have no idea of the wider context of all this stuff.

It's all gone to shit rapidly and tomorrow millions will march to demand and end to this and I fear it's going to be horrible with a lot of lives lost chasing what has been brutally taken away from them.

Bleak is not the word.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Long story, but the military has disolved the transitional government and placed child soldiers with assult weaponary on the street corners all over the city/country and these poor fuckers have had the empathy beat out of them and they are savage and shells of humans, it's the fucking janjaweed dishing out justice as they see fit.

Internet has been cut for two weeks and phone lines have been down the same, We've got an illegal fiber optic which bypasses the main grid so we have contact with the outside world. Flights have been cancelled sparodically, it's teetering on civil war.

They has been rejected both internally and internationally so they are fucked, but they will refuse to give in as they'll have to go to the ICC if they lose power. One of them is responsible for Dafur masacres and he's now second in charge here and they're brutal and have no idea of the wider context of all this stuff.

It's all gone to shit rapidly and tomorrow millions will march to demand and end to this and I fear it's going to be horrible with a lot of lives lost chasing what has been brutally taken away from them.

Bleak is not the word.

Get out of there mate 

24 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Bleak is not the word.

Could be worse. I’ve got my bird’s mum and dad coming over here for a meal. Hopefully the Sudanese can take a moment to pause and think of others at some point. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Bleak is not the word.

Take care mate. All the very best to you and your family.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

They are managing to do all of this without the internet or phone networks, it's astonishing.

Astonishing doesn't even come close, u can't take a dump without reading some random rubbish on my phone. 

All joking aside, that's fucked up. And I never for one second thought you lived outside of the UK, never mind Sudan (you did say Sudan and not Ethiopia didn't you?) 

Stay safe! 

• Upvote 1

Five so far officially shot dead for peacefully protesting, with scores injured and tear gas being used since first light and beatings handed out almost randomly. All bridges blocked and major roads blocked. Internet and phones still off, getting on for three weeks now. Yet, they are still maintaining peaceful demonstration and dignity in the face of oppression. 

The janjaweed are going through the hospitals making sure doctors don’t treat the injured, that’s what they’re up against. 

1 minute ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Five so far officially shot dead for peacefully protesting, with scores injured and tear gas being used since first light and beatings handed out almost randomly. All bridges blocked and major roads blocked. Internet and phones still off, getting on for three weeks now. Yet, they are still maintaining peaceful demonstration and dignity in the face of oppression. 

The janjaweed are going through the hospitals making sure doctors don’t treat the injured, that’s what they’re up against. 

Evil bastards 

13 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

What’s your definition of “safe” mate. I’d be readying a fistful of dollars to grease the necessary palms to get me the fuck out of there now 

16 minutes ago, Red74 said:

What’s your definition of “safe” mate. I’d be readying a fistful of dollars to grease the necessary palms to get me the fuck out of there now 

You'd have to be here to understand, I and the family are safe, the moment we're not, which is not expected, I'll be given safe passage out of dodge, it's a very odd situation. 

You're not dealing with Islamic loons like in Afghanistan etc, you're dealing with borderline simpletons who have lived in a self congratulatory echo chamber for years where brutality is every day, but know their manners in polite company, again, it's odd to explain.

There's loads internationally going on, we're effectively a pawn here for the rest of the world to play international dick swinging. Once these cunts figure out who is in charge this will all stop.

I'm 'connected' to a degree and am aware, within reason, about what's going on in real time.

We're good, for now, it's the poor bastards willing to put their lives on the line the world needs to focus on.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

You'd have to be here to understand, I and the family are safe, the moment we're not, which is not expected, I'll be given safe passage out of dodge, it's a very odd situation. 

You're not dealing with Islamic loons like in Afghanistan etc, you're dealing with borderline simpletons who have lived in a self congratulatory echo chamber for years where brutality is every day, but know their manners in polite company, again, it's odd to explain.

There's loads internationally going on, we're effectively a pawn here for the rest of the world to play international dick swinging. Once these cunts figure out who is in charge this will all stop.

I'm 'connected' to a degree and am aware, within reason, about what's going on in real time.

We're good, for now, it's the poor bastards willing to put their lives on the line the world needs to focus on.

You’re talking to someone who won’t walk his dog up an unlit 20 yard pathway on the mean streets of ormskirk Bruce. That’s the limit of my bravery. 

What you’re describing reminds me of all those movies I’ve seen over the years where the warlords are getting nearer to the heroes. 

Really hope it bypasses you and the family mate and you all stay safe. 

• Upvote 1