You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Africa Thread

Bjornebye

37 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-58970193

Getting really dicey, me and the fam were told to leave for the ME and wait for it to blow over as it looks like it could get really messy some time soon.

Just been told all flights in and out are being cancelled and I can’t get back anytime soon.

Wonderful stuff.

Not good. Sounds like that could drag on as well. Are you stuck there or still out? 

40 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Getting really dicey, me and the fam were told to leave for the ME and wait for it to blow over as it looks like it could get really messy some time soon.

Just been told all flights in and out are being cancelled and I can’t get back anytime soon.

Wonderful stuff.

Hope u safe in downtown Dubai bro, Praying 4 U. 

44 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Wonderful stuff.

Christ. Or should that be Allah?

Get the fuck out of dodge. What does your missus think of it all?

52 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Wonderful stuff.

Take care mate.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Not good. Sounds like that could drag on as well. Are you stuck there or still out? 

It’s all a bit odd in truth.

We were ‘evacuated’ to Dubai to sit it out as last time got really messy and we’d be targeted by fringe groups. Now we don’t know when we’ll be able to get back and we’re kinda stuck in Dubai until whatever happens happens.

Weirdly it’s the military which are pushing for democracy with the main revolutionary group, and these are currently doing the protesting, tomorrow all of the fringe groups will be doing counter protests as they want to    stop the elections as they have no chance at being elected. It’s likely to be shitty, or the blood letting of any revolution necessitates. 

There’s loads of other stuff going on, most notably the Americans sticking their noses in and much more, it’s a mess.

So, yeah, been there three months and we’ve already been evacuated.

Wonderful stuff.

7 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Your prearranged flight booked out of Khartoum to Brussels for March is the main worry here. 

This. 

But yeah, African 'power grabs' generally leads to plenty of bloodshed. I have no doubt you're doing a very important job that people over there need but you do have to consider yours and the families safety. You know that already though so I'll go and poke my nose into Gnasher trying to get a straight answer out of SD or something. 

ForkedBrightAmazontreeboa-size_restricte

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Who did the evacuating, Bruce? The British Embassy over there, or one of the main groups fighting for power?

Neither, it was more unofficial before today, so when we got wind it the people I work for flew us out as last time ‘westerners’ were targeted.

The Embassies stay until the last, a guy I know literally arrived a few days before to start with at the embassy as we learned it was kicking off, it’s a safety first approach for us, not them.

We’ll know how bad things could be tomorrow, though we’re getting some stuff through now that it’s getting ‘complicated’.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Never go full Hades.

I'm stating a fact. He's not a soldier in Afghanistan or Syria, he's in Dubai, his corporate company flew him out, their has not been one official death in Sudan. Spanner is safer, more comfortable and in a more affluent part of the world than 95% of the worlds population.

Won't stop me praying for him though. 

Gnashers Alternative Lords Prayer

Our Father,

Who sneers at us from heaven,

Shallow is he by name,

Dubai Kingdom Cum,

Fuck all will be done on Earth

As it is in Khartoum

Shove it up your arse,

This daily bread,

And forgive us for not having sympathy,

Because we don't forgive those,

Who sneer at us from Dubai,

My Girl by The Temptations,

But still evacuate Bruce from evil

Amen 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I'm stating a fact. He's not a soldier in Afghanistan or Syria, he's in Dubai, his corporate company flew him out, their has not been one official death in Sudan. Spanner is safer, more comfortable and in a more affluent part of the world than 95% of the worlds population.

Won't stop me praying for him though. 

In that case......

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Gnashers Alternative Lords Prayer

Our Father,

Who sneers at us from heaven,

Shallow is he by name,

Dubai Kingdom Cum,

Fuck all will be done on Earth

As it is in Khartoum

Shove it up your arse,

This daily bread,

And forgive us for not having sympathy,

Because we don't forgive those,

Who sneer at us from Dubai,

My Girl by The Temptations,

But still evacuate Bruce from evil

Amen 

I like it, im thinking of starting a "pray for bruce" page on facebook.

On the above "pray for Bruce" Facebook page, might have to change his location away from Dubai, might not get enough likes, would it be disingenuous to change it to Darlington? We get plenty of money/sympathy/likes for him then.

#prayforbrucedarlington# 

1 minute ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Gnosher, I assume you’ve been on the Dulux tonight and in the politest possible terms, fuck off you absolute fucking no mark.

Imbecilic fucking cretin.

It's daytime in Britain Bruce not night, not sure about Darlington/Dubai though..

#prayforbrucedarlington#

4 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Gnosher, I assume you’ve been on the Dulux tonight and in the politest possible terms, fuck off you absolute fucking no mark.

Imbecilic fucking cretin.

Dubai, get some cheap gas for the Bentley comrade. 

#prayforbrucedarlington#