You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

West Brom 1 Liverpool 2 (May 16 2021)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

So how the hell do you go about summing that up? I’ve never seen anything like it. None of us have, because it’s never happened before. I'm still stunned even now just thinking about it. 

Probably the closest thing would be Divock’s Anfield derby winner, which compares in terms of the drama and the freak nature of the goal, but a goalkeeper scoring is just so unique. It’s literally a once in a lifetime thing that we’ll always remember.

It got us out of jail because we’d completely blown this game. The top four had all but gone and all the great vibes from Thursday night had been thrown away because we’d toiled so badly against a fucking dreadful team that had already been relegated and had nothing to play for. Managed by Sam fucking Allardyce. 

This match report was all set to be a scathing assessment on why these lads don’t deserve to be playing in the Champions League next season. And then THAT happened. Football eh? Bloody hell.

Lucky? Of course it was. It was a totally freak occurrence, the likes of which I doubt we’ll ever see again. Undeserved? Well that’s a much more complex discussion. Where we the better team? Yes. Did we do enough to ‘deserve’ the win? Yes and no. Put it this way, if Trent or Gini had hit the target and scored with the chances they had late on, would anyone (other than Jabba the Hutt) be saying we didn’t deserve it? I doubt it.

Conversely, neither Trent nor Gini could even hit the target with those chances so on the basis that our finishing was so shite once again, if we hadn’t come away with the points we wouldn’t have had anyone to blame but ourselves and we’d have deserved what we got. 

I don’t really care wether we deserved to win or not at this point. I just want to win because we can’t afford not to. Besides, we’ve had plenty of things go against us this season that were completely undeserved so this goes some small way towards redressing the balance.

As I reflect on this a day later, I’m conflicted. I’m ecstatic about how it ended and I couldn’t be happier for Alisson. I’m also concerned and pissed off that it came down to us needing him to do that. Against fucking West Brom. To go to Old Trafford and do what we did but then follow it up with this is troubling to me and doesn’t fill me with confidence for the final two games, because Burnley and Palace are both miles better than West Brom.

What went wrong here? It’s difficult to say exactly because individually there were some really good performances. Trent was amazing again (shooting aside), Mo looked sharp and Thiago was completely dominant. We weren’t clinical enough of had some issues in the middle of the defence though, there’s no getting away from that. I’m not blaming either of the lads back there as quite frankly it’s astonishing to me that this kind of thing hasn’t happened more regularly. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

Completely agree about Thiago. I was starting to harbour some niggling doubts in him - not about his ability, but that it might just be one of those transfers which just doesn't work out and nobody has a fucking clue why, like Morientes or Veron or something. But he's really beginning to function now and he's terrific to watch.

Just a point - if Mike Dean obstructing Thiago should have been a drop ball then what is mashed potato face moaning about? It's not like it was a direct free kick or was awarded in a dangerous area to swing the ball into the box - if he'd have awarded a drop ball I don't really see how play would have developed that much differently to how it did.

• Upvote 2

I made a thread a while back regarding our corners and attacking set pieces. I really would like us to consistently be hitting them swinging towards goal. We very rarely do that. I think our goal against the Mancs  was our first from a corner in something like 150 attempts. 

I was screaming at the telly every time Robbo went out to take one in the 2nd half. In my mind, there's no way we score from one of them outswingers without some truly dominant headers of the ball in there.

• Upvote 2

A few months ago I was saying to buddies that I didn't see how Thiago was adding anything to us but in the back of my mind I knew when Fabinho was back in there we would see the real Thiago.Very excited now for next season if we can get over the line in the last 2 games.As a former keeper I was delighted to see Alisson go up and get the winner,the technique was unreal.

• Upvote 2

Great report, Dave.

Im normally confident at times like this, especially after the united win but, this game was just too much for me. I thought we'd win and struggle but fuck me, we made it hard and even harder to watch.

Said to the old girl when that fucker scored, yet another yarddog who cannot buy a game in the PL never mind a goal, is made to look absolute class against us (yeah I know but you get my drift).

He finished that move well and when you consider what Bobby, Trent and Wijnaldum did in better positions, fuck my life. Im no longer on board with the Gini love in. He's another one, scores for his country but fluffs his lines for us. So, no tears from me when he leaves, I think we can do better.

Agree about Sadio. Did well to find Mo for the goal but that was just about his only contribution. After that show at the end of the united game you'd think he had a point to prove. He was slow arsed getting on side for his 'goal' but if he'd been switched on, he'd have been back onside before that cross was played. Sorry, he's another I wont weep over if he goes in the summer.

Id resigned myself to the draw from about the 70th minute mark. Id given up hope. Bobby slapping the post was the final straw. But like everyone else, I was elated with Alli's goal. The boy leapt like a salmon and the net bulged! Great joy, we live to fight another day. You just go into the next game thinking 'please dont fuck this up!'

Mo aside, our finishing was woeful with a capital W. Why do professional footballers lean back when striking the ball 10-12 yards from goal? Fucking amazing.

• Upvote 3

I admire your restraint in not putting the boot into Fat Sam as much as he deserves. Taking the high road and all that.

On the other hand, you can never put enough boot into the fat fuck. I'd say you should do better next time, but hopefully that's the last we see of him.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, lebron said:

I made a thread a while back regarding our corners and attacking set pieces. I really would like us to consistently be hitting them swinging towards goal. We very rarely do that. I think our goal against the Mancs  was our first from a corner in something like 150 attempts. 

I was screaming at the telly every time Robbo went out to take one in the 2nd half. In my mind, there's no way we score from one of them outswingers without some truly dominant headers of the ball in there.

Fully agree with this, especially when Virgil isn't there.

We've had some amazing goals during the Klopp era but I was always certain that Gini's opener against Middlesbrough would remain my favourite because of how important it was.

This Alisson goal has to overtake that and if we qualify for the CL and go on to win again this goal will be seen as even legendary than it will end up being.

We've had last-minute or late goals in the Klopp Era Divock, Lovren, Mane against Everton and Villa but this one overtakes all of those just because of how ridiculous it is.

This is the first time this entire season where I just enjoyed football. No thoughts of the empty stadium or VAR just pure enjoyment.

Also if this is the last game we play against Sam Allardyce then what a way to end it.

• Upvote 5

On a side note at then end of the game  that’s the first time I’ve seen Klopp acting like Klopp for a long time...Understandable given the year he’s had but it was nice to see him celebrating and with those white choppers on display at the end ...

Also said it on another thread Dean gave them everything all game and especially  the free-kick that led to their goal for a non challenge by Thiago but slobber chops is happy to ignore that 

• Upvote 2

Couple of points:

1. For all the crying about the drop ball/free kick, it’s not as though Fab slotted a direct pass through for someone to score. Most of the WBA defence and midfield were back and if they’d have done their job and not been so fucking slow about it they’d have cleared the ball when it came free from the initial tackle on Mo. So stop your crying and fuck off back to your sister and mother wives. Which brings me to...

2. Sadio did contribute one very important thing. When that ball broke free he made damn sure he got to it ahead of the defender to poke it to Mo, even though the defender was favourite to get it. Mo’s magic boot did the rest.

• Upvote 1

The rule has changed. What Dean did was per the rules. 

Fat Sam pushes the rules to the limit to suit his dinosaur tactics but rails against the them (the drop ball rule and the offside rule) when they don't. 

Good luck and good riddance - and fuck the 8 premier league chairmen/CEOs that have employed the fucking stain on the game. 

20210517_101407.jpg

• Upvote 3

I disagree with the narrative that we don't deserve 4th and if we didn't score late yesterday it would have been a bottle job and typical of the team this season.

I thought late goals were a sign of a mentally strong team. I thought winning and even playing well, when things are not going your way was a good sign.

The only reason we have not won our last 8 is because of 2 late equalisers v Leeds and Newcastle. We deserved our late goal yesterday, at least as much as Leeds, and a lot more than Newcastle did. We are on a very good run of results without our 4 first choice CBs, captain, vice-captain and now one of our 2 forwards that score regularly. 

The season was gone 8 games ago. We were 8th, 10 points behind Leicester, 7 behind Chelsea, 5 (and a game more played) behind West Ham, 3 (and a game more played) behind Everton, and even Villa were in a better position. 

I would be the first to say that the whole squad and management let everything affect them when things started to go badly wrong at the end of the year and they reacted poorly but with everything that has gone on this season I think if they can get 26 points from the final 10 games and CL qualification, it would be up there with the Barca game for a turnaround. 

Form in the last 8 games.
Liverpool 20
Man City 18
Leeds 18
Man Utd 16
Tottenham 14
Chelsea 14
Leicester 13
Arsenal 12
West Ham 11
Everton 10

Screenshot_20210517-175432_Chrome.jpg

• Upvote 12

Fat sham instilled in his player's that this is now the biggest game of the season and tried everything to fuck up our season for us. Give the fans something to smile about my bollocks, spamy fat fuck. If they applied tha same effort this season they wouldn't be going down. 

I'd like to see players hitting the ball from outside the box more often than trying to walk it into the net,just shoot ffs. Jimmy case should be a coach here. 

Great result but again might mean nothing without getting 6pts from the last two games. Burnley and Palace could make a name for themselves. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Stickman said:

On a side note at then end of the game  that’s the first time I’ve seen Klopp acting like Klopp for a long time...Understandable given the year he’s had but it was nice to see him celebrating and with those white choppers on display at the end ...

I said that to Mr Suzy at the end!

• Upvote 2

Let’s hope that goal is the defibrulator giving the corpse of this season one last jolt to get us over the line and into fourth. Still not overconfident on the game with Burnley but fair play to the boys who kept going despite the clear lack of confidence in front of goal (Mo excepted).

I don’t think I’ve simultaneously cheered and laughed at a goal so much since Divock nodded in against the Blues!

• Upvote 2

Couple of points:

1. For all the crying about the drop ball/free kick, it’s not as though Fab slotted a direct pass through for someone to score. Most of the WBA defence and midfield were back and if they’d have done their job and not been so fucking slow about it they’d have cleared the ball when it came free from the initial tackle on Mo. So stop your crying and fuck off back to your sister and mother wives. Which brings me to...

Totally agree.  West Brom had possession, but then played a poor back pass which allowed Sadio to nip in and tee the ball up for Mo. The goal was down to their defensive incompetence, not the free kick which preceded it. 

• Upvote 2

• dave u unpinned this topic