You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chelsea v Leicester

JohnnyH

What result do you want?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What result is best for us?

2 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

Well I did say the shite where clutching at straws. From the people's club forum.

Yes.If Chelsea beat Man City in CL final they obviously qualify as winners. Then come City , United and then 3rd place in premier league. We want Leicester to beat Chelsea tomorrow to ensure they finish 3rd. Then Liverpool will not be allowed in due to 4 clubs from one country rule.

Did anyone put him right or did they all just agree that the rules would be changed by the powers that be just to help the redshite?

26 minutes ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

Did anyone put him right or did they all just agree that the rules would be changed by the powers that be just to help the redshite?

Sort of.

The top four in the Premier League qualify for the Champions League group stages - plus the winners of the Champions League and Europa League.

There can be a maximum of five English teams in the Champions League.

England does not get any extra Champions League places if English teams win one or both European tournaments and finish in the top four in the Premier League.

Previous Message

I think you might be wrong. As far as I am aware it is still only 4 clubs from one country,and Liverpool will drop to Europa league.?

And ended with......as one would expect.

The People's Forum

[ Post a Response | The People's Forum ]

They kill everyone in a qualifying round. nt.

Posted by Johannes BorgenUser Info on May 17, 2021, 8:22 pm, in reply to "If Liverpool finish 4th....."

14 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

Well I did say the shite where clutching at straws. From the people's club forum.

Yes.If Chelsea beat Man City in CL final they obviously qualify as winners. Then come City , United and then 3rd place in premier league. We want Leicester to beat Chelsea tomorrow to ensure they finish 3rd. Then Liverpool will not be allowed in due to 4 clubs from one country rule.

I just read up on this and we can send max 5 clubs to the CL.  I'm still confused as to whether 5 th spot in league gets a place if Chelsea qualify as winners assuming they also finish in the top 4 . 

2 minutes ago, magicrat said:

I just read up on this and we can send max 5 clubs to the CL.  I'm still confused as to whether 5 th spot in league gets a place if Chelsea qualify as winners assuming they also finish in the top 4 . 

I've answered my own question... Pity Leicester didn't win last night

In fact, the only way a fifth English side can qualify for the Champions League is if a club wins either the tournament, or the Europa League, and they also fail to finish inside the top-four in the Premier League.2 d

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, magicrat said:

I just read up on this and we can send max 5 clubs to the CL.  I'm still confused as to whether 5 th spot in league gets a place if Chelsea qualify as winners assuming they finish in the top 4 . 

Yes, 5 clubs maximum. But, any one of the club's finishing in the PL top 4 and winning the CL doesnt reduce the number of qualifying clubs.

Some people have this weird idea that if a club wins the CL and finishes in the top 3 of the PL, that club has 'earned' 2 CL spots so 4th misses out.

It doesnt mean that. Yes, the club has 2 qualifications but the top 4 in the PL still qualify.

The only time 4th in the PL drops down to the EL is if the Europa League winners finish outside the top 4 PL spots.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Yes, 5 clubs maximum. But, any one of the club's finishing in the PL top 4 and winning the CL doesnt reduce the number of qualifying clubs.

Some people have this weird idea that if a club wins the CL and finishes in the top 3 of the PL, that club has 'earned' 2 CL spots so 4th misses out.

It doesnt mean that. Yes, the club has 2 qualifications but the top 4 in the PL still qualify.

The only time 4th in the PL dropsdown to the EL is if the Europa League winners finish outside the top 4 PL spots.

Cheers mate, I kinda got there in the end . I think winning our last two games might be the answer !

5 minutes ago, magicrat said:

I've answered my own question... Pity Leicester didn't win last night

In fact, the only way a fifth English side can qualify for the Champions League is if a club wins either the tournament, or the Europa League, and they also fail to finish inside the top-four in the Premier League.2 d

Nice one. Thinks it's called "demerderingredshiteistanbul" rule.

When again, they got all giddy and excited....bit like last September.

Did anyone else happen to watch this on DAZN yesterday ?

They had some female announcer, and she was impossible to listen to. Incredibly annoying accent/voice.

I hope that was a one time experiment and never happens again. Had to turn the sound off.